Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-23, 09:23

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I was so carb conscious I went for dutched, it's less bitter. No antioxidants, but then... I'm wondering if that's not just another buzzword.<...snip...>

I read a few articles that say the alkali process destroys some of the nutrients. Real or fact? I haven't looked into that deeply.

I did read that Ghirardelli 86% has very low lead and cadmium content in Consumer Reports and a few other publications. It's not as bitter as the Lindt 85% I was eating before I found out about the heavy metal content.

I like dark chocolate so it works for me. Less lead in my diet also makes me feel good.

I used to like not-quite-so-dark chocolate, about 75%, but when I went Atkins (now keto) and found my threshold to be 20 carbs per day, I got used to the more bitter chocolate. Years later, I prefer it.

But of course, that's just me.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-23, 09:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Lindt still uses the original Swiss recipe of the founder. And Aldis has Moser-Roth which are five small bars per package. Doubtless for safety reasons .

I got fond of baker's chocolate!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-23, 17:18

BF:

I was eating Lindt 85% until the Consumers Report came out and showed high lead and cadmium content. So I switched.

I've eaten the Moser Roth, and it's good, but alkalized so supposedly not as healthy.

So I switched to Ghirardelli 86%. It's a little milder and smoother than the Lindt but just as good, even though it's a little different.

Bob
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-23, 04:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I was eating Lindt 85% until the Consumers Report came out and showed high lead and cadmium content. So I switched.

Gosh yes! You should.

Yes, cocoa is "healthy" because of the antioxidants. But I'm restricting oxalate (with excellent autoimmune results!) so cocoa extract is my go to for my Naked Whey smoothies. They test with labs on the site, which is reassuring.

But I looked it up and there is no scientific support for people actually benefiting from the antioxidants. Which are there for the plant's purposes, not ours. Some of the studies even admit there is no scientific evidence for their proposed healthy effect.

And now I'm uncertain about using chocolate at all. Not if it's contaminated, and it turns out "organic" on the label makes it more likely it IS.

Thanks for this important info, Bob. Cocoa extract is looking even better now!

Antioxidants are currently a theory we are all living out based on epidemiological studies of people filling out six month or yearly "What do you remember eating?" food questionnaires.

When people don't fill these out honestly. How can they remember? We KNOW people tend to shade their answers according to the nutritional dogma operating when they fill them out.

So they eat more vegetables and less junk on paper than they do in life.

Won't live by a lie. Even a seemingly "harmless" one.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-23, 20:17

BF:

I like chocolate a lot, and since what I buy is low sugar, and I only eat a square a day, it keeps me from craving other dessert type foods. So it works.

I like the LIndt a bit better than the Ghirardelli, but the low lead and cadmium is worth the difference in taste.

It's still good, just not quite as good.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-23, 07:06

BF:

Yes, it works that way for me, too. I've cut cocoa down, but it is the last plant I will cling to.

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Mar-14-23 at 07:39.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-23, 15:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe bad news for anybody still doing The Zone diet or Perfect Health or something. Or maybe not. The macronutrient ratio described is just a stone's throw from a diet entirely comprised of Big Macs.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-24, 14:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interesting post from Nina Teicholz about these "headlines" from last years' ACC meeting

Quote:
One year ago, dozens of headlines splashed news about a "keto-like" diet causing heart disease
This came from a press release by the Amer. College of Cardiology, on data that had been presented at their conference but not published--not even a pre-print; study not registered 1/
I wrote about this at the time: shorturl.at/myzGT. [https://unsettledscience.substack.c...-for-the-heart]
All links, statement from ACC, attempts to interview the researchers here.
(need to scroll half-way down the article) 2/
A year later, there's still nothing published, not even a pre-print🤔
Press releasing unpublished data is poor practice. Rules out the possibility of critique by other researchers--bc data not available.
Could be seen as a PR stunt 3
It's no secret that the ACC, funded heavily by pharma, is no fan of low-carb diets, as they tend to get people off their medications.
With this press release, ACC got a host of anti-keto news headlines.
Reminds me of how the WHO released its data on red meat & cancer 4/

And doctors and Pharma companies why so many people do not trust them now?
The ACC scientific meetings are first week of April…can’t wait for the new "studies" why LDL-C should now be below 55!!

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-08-24 at 13:11.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-24, 15:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Apart from the ill-defined variables (keto like and low carb), unreliable data (self reports) and unrepresentative subjects (small sample size for one) plus a questionable outcome variable (risk factor), this is a great study. And to think, people get paid to carry out these kinds of non-scientific studies.

Somehow I missed this thread a year ago - but I have to say, this post perfectly describes most diet related "research".

Worded so perfectly, it's absolutely priceless.