Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 10:11
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Oddly the opposite seems to be true, those counties where food is plentiful have a lower population growth rate in general than those countries where growing food seems to be a problem.

Here's how I'm coming to understand it. The higher the standard of living, the lower the birth rate - because this population has already gone through their population growth phase, or their big spurt. Increasing food production will produce a corresponding increase in population, but not necessarily in the area in which the increase in food production occurred. Someone, somewhere, is consuming the surplus, be it in another city, country or continent, and that is having an effect on the population growth in that area. Sending free food to Zaire just makes more hungry people in Zaire, for example. I think that's what Caveman was driving at?

Regardless, FE&T makes a ton more sense as a solution than does sending food, or implementing birth control, or increasing food production.

I read an interesting take on the whole vegetarianism-as-solution issue: that it would effectively convert more and more of the earth's resources into human beings and cause further problems, rather than solving any. More grain, more monoculture, more food being sent here and there = more people, who would then (as the current logic goes) require more food, and so on.

I'm still working and muddling this through. Interesting stuff, great thread.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Tue, May-06-08, 12:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

As long as I can afford eating food that is healthy for me, I will continue to do so. Vegetarian food will kill me. I am not going to start eating food that kills me because of hunger in other places on earth. Yes, my life comes first for me. I don't think there is any religion or system of morals that demands of its practitioners to commit suiside to save other lives.
  #213   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
The Independent
London, UK
16 April, 2008

People are dying because of the global food shortage, which has sparked a sudden surge in food prices.
Yet today's farm bill sent to the President contains nearly $30,000,000,000 to pay US farmers NOT to grow food on their lands.

Another $200,000,000,000 goes to help poor people pay for the higher prices caused by the "Food Shortage".

Hold on to your ankles, folks.
  #214   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 09:13
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sounds like more of an honesty/integrity shortage.

Seems to boil down to money and politics, really. As does everything.