Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 07:48

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%
Default Mon’s LC Bread Machine Loaf 1

I hope this isn't too redundant around here, but it took many experiments to get this right and it might help another baking-newbie out.

Makes a lovely textured bread, similar to those half and half we get in UK (half white, half wholemeal). At only 36g carbs for whole loaf, I'm really pleased with this!

Mon’s LC Bread Machine Loaf 1

160g (5.6oz) Vital Wheat Gluten
85g (3oz) Soya Flour *
45g (1.6 oz) Almond flour (finely ground almonds)
20g (.7 oz) Flax meal (finely ground flax seeds) **
10g (.35 oz) Bran
5g (.2 oz) whole Flax seeds
1 medium Egg
½ tsp Salt ***
2 tsp Sugar ****
1 tsp Splenda *****
1 ½ tsp Yeast (dry, rapid acting) ******
240ml (16 tbs) Water, lukewarm. *******

[Measurements are in British metric. I’ve included the ones in brackets as a guide, but please check with an online converter.]

Mix together all dry ingredients except yeast.
Beat egg with water, salt and sugars and add to your machine’s pan.
Add flour mix on top of water so it mostly floats.
Make a little dip/well on top and add yeast. (Basically, follow our machine’s instructions).

Machine process:
5 min warming.
3 min mix.
7 min knead. (I need to check it’s mixing well)
Soon as kneading is completed, I pat it down into a shape fitting the whole pan, as it's usually just a ball.
60-70 min rise. (Should approximately double in size)
35-45 min bake.

Nutrition per loaf (Fitday):
Carbs:36-37 Fat:61 Protein:187 Cals:942

Notes:

* Community brand (UK) – 16g carbs per 100g
** Linusit (UK) – 6g carbs per 100g
*** Best to use non-iodised. Too much salt will kill the yeast action.
**** The yeast ‘eats’ the sugar, so there’s no need to count these carbs at all! If you’re weary and use as much as I do, count half the carbs. But honestly, there’s no need to. I've not counted the sugar at all in the final nutritional value.
***** I find a little Splenda improves the flavour, making it closer to commercial wheat bread.
****** You can ‘proof’ (check) your yeast first if has less than a few months of shelf life left. Put into water and sugar and check it bubbles. Otherwise, dry yeast with a plenty of shelf life left won’t need this.
******* Adjust your water temp, making it a little warmer if you don’t have the warming option on your machine.

I managed 13 medium thick slices from this, coming to 2.7-3 carbs per slice. An electric slicer has been a worthwhile purchase for all this lc bread!

Finally, you can play around with the soya flour and flaxmeal quantities. More flaxmeal tends to make a bread closer to wholemeal. If you add quite a lot of flax meal, you might not need the egg.
If you're not so keen on soya flour, it works well half soya and half oat flour (finely ground oats).

Last edited by Nica : Thu, Mar-08-07 at 11:29. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links