Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 06:41

Plan: Anti-candida
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress:
Default Grease die off?

Hi guys,
I'm new around here. I have recently started a diet after years and years of constantly eating junk and greasy foods, with a massive lack of good foods. I won't deny I have found it hard to give up sugar, but my question is regarding greasy fast food in particular. This has been what consisted of my diet, moreso even then sugar, I would basically eat fast food pretty much every day. I have managed to kick this a lot this past month!

My question is regarding die off related to greasy foods? Is it possible? I still eat some sugary foods (like brunch bars and crisps) but have mainly been eating home cooked meals, consisting of mainly chicken, yorkshire puddings, some veg and the like. I have been experiencing some pains around my body, never simultaneously in two places, oddly enough, and some muscle weakness. Could this change in my diet be what's causing these symptoms? I must stress that I was continuously eating greasy foods for years, and I did also have a relapse a few weeks back, where I ate dominos, and the day after the pains were virtually non-existent.

Thanks for any answers, would be greatly appreciated (:

Jonoh.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 06:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Low carb is generally high fat. So you can eat "greasy food" but not high carb foods. Carbs = sugar, flour, starch...!!

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 06:55

BF:
Progress:

So then one wouldn't experience die off from stopping greasy foods?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 07:10

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Any change in diet can cause digestive issues. They usually settle down unless you have an allergy to something your eating. Give it a couple of week and if it doesn't improve then you could remove an item every week till you find whats been effecting you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 07:27

BF:
Progress:

Ah, so my symptoms may be to the changes I've made. Thanks for the responses
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 09:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoh
So then one wouldn't experience die off from stopping greasy foods?

Bacteria or yeast generally feed on carbohydrates like sugars or starches. They can't utilize fat (or as you say "grease"). You might be having withdrawals from wheat or sugar, both can have nasty withdrawals for some people.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 09:17

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Bacteria or yeast generally feed on carbohydrates like sugars or starches. They can't utilize fat (or as you say "grease"). You might be having withdrawals from wheat or sugar, both can have nasty withdrawals for some people.

Even more reason to ditch the sugars and starches (crisps, yorkshire puddings, etc...) that the candida yeast THRIVE on!

Eat meat, not wheat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-12, 12:11

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Most fatty or greasy foods that you describe also include starch or sugar (same thing, really). You mentioned Domino's. Yes, it has fat, but it is also mainly wheat crust. If you were having a die-off that was halted by the pizza, the crust would have stopped it, not the fat. You need plenty of protein and healthy fat - not manipulated oils, but sat fats and omega 3s - when you are cutting out sugar and starches. To maximize your health while you are eating low-carb, research omega 6 oils and start to learn what fats are good for you.

edit to add: I just now looked up yorkshire pudding since I never knew what it was. It's basically a biscuit. Why would you eat biscuits if you are trying to kill off yeast? I'm sure they're better than commercial fast food but this looks like you are operating by the seat of your pants. Are you following any recognized plan or are you simply bumping along on your impressions of what a candida diet is? I don't mean to sound harsh, but to be under the impression that a yorkshire pudding is fine since you made it at home, and that you can undergo a grease die-off sounds like you are figuring this out for yourself, and that you are operating under the popular lie that fat is bad. It just isn't that intuitive for most people. You need to find a good resource to follow and do some reading-up on the topic, as well. I wish you well on your improved eating. While you're doing your reading, eat with the maxim that fat and protein are good, while starch,i.e. corn, potatoes, beans flour, wheat and sugar are bad. Meat, green/yellow (except corn) vegs, melons and berries, eggs and cream (not milk) are good. Then, as you gain understanding, you can guide your own choices better.

Last edited by CallmeAnn : Sat, Dec-08-12 at 12:23.