Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 04:17
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default My first day on CAD... and some questions

Well, i got the book this morning (from amazon) and read it cover to cover in about 2 hours. I decided to start right away. So i went downstairs to search for some low-carb items i could eat. I found some lovely juicy beefburgers, and some eggs. I grilled the beefburger and just poached 2 eggs with it. I eat them alone, no sauce, no bread, nothing.

Now, i'm not sure about this. The beefburger had something like 25g of fat, and combined with the eggs - that's 35g. Should i be worried? Both products are labelled as "trace" for carbohydrate, so i'm ok there. What i want to know is, will my body react the same way as it would on the atkins diet - i.e. - burning fat instead of carbs - up until my reward meal? So i'm effectively on low-carb until around 5:30, but then adding carbs for my body to burn at that period.

Does it work like that, and was my meal a good choice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 10:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Aww, someone must be able to help me!

I'll give whoever helps me a little kiss, promise.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 10:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I guess our CAD members are too addicted to jump in?

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 10:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Mr. Nice Guy, aka Ironlung .. (sorry, it's too cute, I'm chuckling here, hard to type with a straight face)

Yes, the burger and eggs and any and all lowcarb or zero carb protein foods are perfect to eat for the non-Reward meals of the day. You are allowed a small salad or portion of very lowcarb vegetable as well, so do consider having those ... helps add variety .. and important fiber .. to your menu. Don't worry about fat ... it has NO EFFECT on insulin whatsoever. The important thing with CAD is that you start and finish the Reward Meal within the one hour limit, to keep the insulin level under control, and avoid a post meal spike, which is what triggers cravings, and inhibits fat-burning.

I don't have the original CAD book; I do have the Heller's Healthy for Life book, which is based on the CAD meal plan. There's 14 days' worth of menus, and lots of recipes too, I'm guessing that the CAD book also has some suggested menus for you to pattern your meals after. That could be another useful guide for you to see if you're doing things right.

OK, just saw Wa'il's post. Well, I started typing this before he posted his message, so I get the kiss, OK?? Pucker up! :

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 10:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh what the hell, you can both have a kiss. Mwah!

I discovered another food i can eat if i miss breakfast now, peperami. Only 0.4g of carb, lovely. I'll let you all know how i get on with the diet a week from when i started it. (monday).