Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 03:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low carb diet shown to reduce high blood pressure

Low carb diet shown to reduce high blood pressure

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/202...k-research.html

Quote:
Following a low-carb diet has once again shown to have significant health benefits, according to research.

The study, carried out by Dr David Unwin, has shown ditching stodgy carbs improves high-blood pressure, which is the second biggest known global risk factor for disease after poor diet.

In a previous trial the low-carb diet had already shown promising results in improving hypertension, weight and reducing medication needs.

But Dr Unwin wanted to further investigate these findings among a bigger group of people in a real-world setting.

This latest study involved 154 people who either had type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance from Dr Unwin’s Southport practice, Norwood Surgery.

They were asked to follow a low-carb diet for two years and over the course of that time their cardiovascular health was examined.

The findings showed they experienced “significant and substantial” reductions in blood pressure and weight, which led to a 20 per cent decrease in the amount of medication the group as a whole were taking.

Dr Unwin said: “This novel and potentially highly effective dietary modification, done very cheaply alongside routine care, offers hope that should be tested in a large prospective trial.”

Read the full study here.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 06:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It would seem that Insulin Resistance is a major driver of high blood pressure, and that should be better known.

A lot of the stuff I read blames it on weight, even though not every person with excess weight has high blood pressure. True, my own blood pressure was creeping up, but so was my A1C. And I got "perfect" blood pressure long before I reached my weight loss goals.

We need more looking at these "things everyone knows" with a science lens.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 07:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Demi. This is one of the benefits of eating healthy and being serious about a lifestyle change where food is the focal point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It would seem that Insulin Resistance is a major driver of high blood pressure, and that should be better known.

A lot of the stuff I read blames it on weight, even though not every person with excess weight has high blood pressure. True, my own blood pressure was creeping up, but so was my A1C. And I got "perfect" blood pressure long before I reached my weight loss goals.

We need more looking at these "things everyone knows" with a science lens.

So true, WereBear. My own HBP was resolved when I became serious about a low carb lifestyle change. While I don't want to minimize HBP, it's one of the many dangerous symptoms of Insulin Resistance/ Metabolic Syndrome, but it's still a symptom and not a root cause. Treated separately, nothing is resolved due to it being a symptom. Treating the overriding cause (IR/MS), makes a world of difference, and that's where the science lens can be so meaningful. Now to get more studies confirming what some of us, including Dr. Unwin and other diet-focused practitioners, know.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-16-20, 11:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When my BP creeps up, its my warning I've been off plan too long. Back to vlc, and it drops back to my normal. Been tracking like this for ten years.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 05:48

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thank you very much for this post. I have returned to low carbing, and I’ve also started drinking hibiscus tea, which has been shown to Lower BP in studies.

What I’m trying to find out is how many grams of carbs were these study participants actually having per day? I couldn’t find that in the link. Anyone know?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 07:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl2020
What I’m trying to find out is how many grams of carbs were these study participants actually having per day? I couldn’t find that in the link. Anyone know?

Click the Figure 1 link, right below the abstract . It outlines the diet used (standard Norwood Surgery low carb diet, developed by Dr. Unwin and his team).
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 06:55

BF:

Thank you Doreen.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 07:59

BF:

This blood pressure study is great. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 11:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I know a couple of skinny people who basically live on desserts. They count their calories and think they are healthy because they maintain their ideal weights eating only the "foods" they love, but they have HBP and who knows what else caused by their sugar & starch diet.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, May-18-20 at 17:41.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 13:51

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I know a couple of skinny people who basically live on desserts. They count their calories and think they are healthy because they maintain their ideal weights eating only the "foods" they love, but they have HBP and who know what else caused by their sugar & starch diet.
And my sister is six feet tall, weighs about 145 pounds (which she considers unbearably fat as she was about 120 pounds her whole life until she hit menopause), watches what she eats, eats basically a very healthy diet, but still has high blood pressure and takes beta blockers. Who knows? Our parents were both very overweight and mom had blood pressure through the roof. But my dad, who was quite obese and lived on pizza and Dunkin Donuts and pie and cake and ice cream always had blood pressure about 110/65.