Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 04:26

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
Today was a HUGE day! I vaulted into ONEderland and the scale read 198 even this morning. This is my deepest desired goal of all. Plan to set up permanent residence here.

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 05:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
In my case, I found sources made a difference. The mass-produced meat and eggs now taste eh, or even yicky. I pay more for a humanely raised product, but they taste noticeably better.

Just something to try, if possible. I spend on meat, but not much else

Several years ago I searched out a source for grass fed beef sans hormones, and with a friend visited their farm. We both went home with beef, pork and chicken.

I found the flavor or the beef was not to my taste and it was tough! Pork and chicken tasted the same as supermarket

Today, still under lockdown and unable to leave my residence, i am unable to explore other sources of animal protein.

I find my taste in fish has not changed - i just don't like it. Of all the fish, I prefer sashimi but again I cannot leave home to get it at our local Japanese restaurant. It is available in supermarkets - like salmon - but too much for one person - too much left overs - and raw fish that is not fresh tastes that way.

The Eades suggested in Protein Power to marinate in red wine - tried that.

Now I make Bearnaise sauce to create taste. I used to eat apple sauce to make the pork chops palatable - less tasteless.

Unfortunately, where I live I cannot grill on a hibachi pot which would improve the flavor of the meats immensely.

Yes, aging definitely changes taste. In unexpected ways. Perhaps it is purposeful - to make us eat less - so long as I stay away from manufactured foods designed to taste good.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 08:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
I am starting to see this-- I think our taste buds "lose it" as we age. I add chimichurri or other legal sauces and pestos to my meats to spice things up. But in a way I am ok with it---am finding I like fish way more than I used to, but I agree that the supermarket beef and chicken is not as good as it used to be.

We lived in Russia a few years with husbands job and it was amazing how much more "chickeny" the chicken was there. ALso eggs taste different in every country due to the chickens' diets. Who knew? Some countries I couldn't bear to eat the eggs because they always tasted fishy to me.

My farm raised chicken tastes richer at 4 minths old and the texture is more beef like than the mush-like cornish cross production chickens.

And eggs pick up the fish flavor easily, hence commercial feeds avoid or limit fish meal.

Herbs and spices make the crapiest meats worth eating. To keep fresh herbs longer, put in a jar then into freezer. Dried spices are easier of course. And you might like blends.

Ya, plain meat gets boring FAST.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 07:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Am freezing herbs from the garden all summer long for the autumn cooking. Interesting on the eggs, explains a lot! I am sure they tossed the fish carcasses around and ground them into a bone meal and fed it to the chickens. Ugh! You could totally taste it. Supermarket eggs nowadays have no flavor and you can tell which chickens have a good diet byt the way those eggs taste for sure. I remember everyone loved Purdue chickens when they first came out because the skin was more yellow than the pale white skin of most of the market poultry. They fed them marigold petals just for that purpose. Makes me stop and think about what we put into our own bodies if these little changes are so dramatic on a chicken and its eggs!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 08:32

BF:

One of the strange things about taste and aging
I have a shift in taste for animal protein
buT STILL LOVE SWEETS and breads!
Sometimes life can be so unfair!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 18:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

My mom liked sweets more and more as she got older, or maybe she had less willpower. I never remember her eating many sweets when we were little but once she hit her 80s there were always Little Debbie Pecan Twirls or other goodies in her bread box (remember those? LOL)