Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:000
Progress: 13%

Meme#1

yeah those sneaky carbs are quite an eye opener. I honestly never paid attention to carbohydrates before these past few weeks.

You would think foods such as 'all beef' hotdogs, for example would contain no carbohydrates...but this is not the case for most hotdogs.
Again, you have to read the labels..
For example...if you compare Hebrew Nationals' All Beef Hotdogs to Ball Park' All Beef Hotdogs, you will notice a distinct difference in their ingredients.

Ball Parks' listed ingredient includes CORN SYRUP. (It's actually the 3rd ingredient listed, after beef & water)
Hebrew Nationals' all beef hotdogs do NOT have corn syrup or any added sugars in their list of ingredients.
1 Hebrew National all beef hotdog contains <1g carbs while Ball Park All Beef hotdogs have 4 grams of carbohydrates.

My first eye opener was when I tried looking for 'store bought' tartar sauce after the 3rd day of starting low-carb. I had really done my homework prior to starting my own journey on carbohydrates (all forms), so I was prepared to spend a few extra minutes reading labels when I went grocery shopping.

You would THINK that with tartar sauce being primarily made up of mayonnaise, that it would naturally have no carbs...just like real mayo doesn't contain carbs, HOWEVER, ALL of the store brands I looked at had ADDED sugars as well a numerous other ingredients that one would require a dictionary to comprehend their meanings. The carb counts were ridiculous at 5-8g carb per 1 tablespoon serving.

Obviously I didn't buy any store bought tartar sauce that day and instead I came home and researched 'tartar sauce' ingredients. Here in the U.S, most people, when making their own tartar sauce, will add SWEET RELISH.. sweet relish has added sugars, and will reflect in your carb count....and it's anyone's guess as to what 'store bought' tartar sauces contain.

So...I simply started making my own tartar sauce using real mayo, diced dill pickle, and diced onion and a little garlic. Voila!! tastes yummy, if not better than any tartar sauce I've had before...and none of the CRAP!...and it is sooooo incredibly easy to make. Takes just a few minutes at most.

My new rule of thumb when buying food these days is as follows......

If I have to look at a dictionary to figure up what the listed ingredients are, OR, the product has more than 3 ingredients...I pass on it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 22:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Homemade is the best.
I make my own blue cheese dressing
First I pour the vinegar in a bowel, then drizzle the olive oil very slowly all the while whipping and it makes a very good emulsified dressing. Then I add the blue cheese crumbles and mix them in and mash some of it and it's great...
I like to use Braggs apple cider vinegar with the mother in it.
I also like the California Olive Ranch brand oil.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:000
Progress: 13%

oooooohhh thank you!!...I'm snagging your recipe
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 22:07

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"