Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 14:41

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: //150
BF:
Progress:
Default Body Looks Smaller.....but

I am trying very hard not to get discouraged with this wol since I am committed to it for more than just weight loss.

I have been eating LC for at least 2 years, and I am come to accept that fact that I lose at the turtle rate. But even though the scales are not moving and I am not seeing a lot of inches loss via the tape measure, I am seeing a difference in how my body looks. Hips and thighs appear smaller, clothes are looser. I have more room in the seating area of my pants etc. So what is happening with my body?

Anyone else experience this? Or is there a site where body changes during weight loss is discussed?

I am really glad I found this forum. I have learned a lot. Is there a pic site so I can put faces with names?

Ebony
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:

Hello fellow turtle. I too lose very slowly which is frustrating since patience is not one of my virtues. However, like you, I started this wol to improve my health and well-being firstly, hoping the aesthetics benefit would quickly follow. If you feel better (I know I do), it's the best indicator of your ongoing success.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 14:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: Body Looks Smaller.....but

Hi Ebony, welcome aboard.

Quote:
Originally posted by ebony623
I am not seeing a lot of inches loss via the tape measure, I am seeing a difference in how my body looks. Hips and thighs appear smaller, clothes are looser. I have more room in the seating area of my pants etc. So what is happening with my body?

Girl, you're losing inches, you just don't know it! No seriously, taking measurements is a bit tricky, but if your clothese are fitting better, and you notice your body is getting smaller, there's no explanation other than that you are losing fat and inches. Congrats!

Let us know how you measure and how often, we might be able to help you. Most common mistake, is daily measurements, since the changes are so tiny. Also measuring at different times of the day might give you different results.

Quote:
I am really glad I found this forum. I have learned a lot. Is there a pic site so I can put faces with names?

Many of our members have their pic right next to their name, you can do the same if you want to by clicking on the "Profile" icon at the top right. Also check out the stories section from the menu above for some before and after pics of some members.

Keep us posted!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile measuring ....

I agree with Wa'il ... measuring is tricky ...

A couple of things .... don't just measure the bust/waist/hips ... measure specific points at several places. For me, since much of my excess weight is below my waist .. I measure at my navel, as a reference point for my waist ... then 6" below that for the upper hip and 9" below the waist for the lower hip. Also measure each thigh, knee and calf, but again, use a reference point of "x" inches above or below your kneecap .. Measure the ribcage under the bustline, as well as the bust .. also your upper arms and neck. You'll be surprised how a quarter-inch here, and a half-inche there can add up to several inches lost in a month's time .. .. Using a reference point, such as your navel and your kneecap helps over time, because they will stay in the same place ... as you shrink, the fullest part of your hips or whatever .. can and will change ..

If you're using a CLOTH tape measure, get rid of it ... they can stretch and can be out by 1 or 2% or more .... which adds up to real inches too. Use a solid vinyl tape instead.

Keep up the good work, and welcome aboard!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-01, 15:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ebony,

Are you following any particular plan? Carbs can creep in without you being aware of it. What do you eat on a daily basis.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-01, 07:12

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: //150
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for the nice warm responses and welcome, I am encouraged. Support is a BIG part of this WOL because temptation is always in our line of sight.

I am glad to be here and thanks for helping me to put all of this in its proper perspective and realizing that this WOL is not just about losing weight but looking good and feeling good as well. I realize that my body is also being repaired too, everything that this WOL of eating does for us cannot be measured by the scales, or a tape. My face even looks healither.

Thanks for the boost and Happy LCing.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-01, 20:19

Plan:
Stats: 175/140/130
BF:
Progress:
Default Donna

Watch out for those onions! A 2 1/2 inch onion has ten carbs and beef jerky here in our stores has sugar. Do you make your own beef jerky? And count the carbs in your cheese. Other than that your menu looks good. Good luck and hang in there.
Norma