Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:04

Plan: keto
Stats: 330/195/185 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default Loving LCHF

Hi Everyone-

New to this forum- and thank you for showing me that there is such a wonderful community out here for low carb!

I started fully on my Low Carb journey (which I plan to never end) on August 21, 2017. By February 1, 2018 I had lost 10 pant sizes, going from a tight 46 to a comfortable 36. I think the last time I was in a 36 was when I was about 15 years old- so more than 25 years.

Needless to say, I love LCHF / Keto and am looking forward to getting to know people in this forum.

Thanks so much and have a wonderful day.

Scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

hello and welcome to the forum!
your achievement is amazing..
keep up the good work and again, welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:16

BF:
Progress:

Thanks so much- this is a wonderful forum. I've been doing this all by myself for what feels like forever. Lots of people always telling me how bad this is for me etc- but the proof is in the measuring tape!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:17
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome Scott. Awesome stats, and in such a short period of time, too. It looks like you figured out how you need to eat, as have I. I'm a LCHF lifer. I know that this is how I need to eat. Again, welcome to the forum. Hang out here and you will get to know some good people, you'll learn, and it will help you stay accountable.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:43

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Ken- you've had tremendous results as well. My goal is 1 more pant size, then start to go into "maintenance mode" which I am somewhat frantically researching now on how to do this. I've been reading about carb-cycling and other methods, but none seem to make sense to me which is why I started reaching out to forums today.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 07:59

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Scott, nice work! It's great to know that you don't need a forum or anything like this to make it happen That is encouraging indeed. I have been doing all sorts of experiments in since I reached a weight similar to your listed goal weight. I'm curious about how my body reacts to different foods type and meal timing, etc. and not that concerned about movement on the scale (that's just one factor to track).

I've observed some successful "maintainers" here that have not experimented and kind of continued on with the way they ate to normalize their body weight (which I believe is a symptom of recovering and not a goal as such) - If you continue you current way of eating you will level out at a weight. You can't weigh zero at least not for a while.

There's also a pretty practiced "maintenance" outlined in a book by a Dr. Atkins - where it prescribes moving up some carb ladder slowly and in stages, always observing changes in your diet related to weight and how one might feel. A lot of people say that this is difficult. I have not done it so I can't comment but it might be worth getting the book or asking some questions in this new thread I saw created the other day related to Atkins plans and protocols...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479802

Welcome to this BBS system and your story is an inspiration for me!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 08:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You might be interested to read my ponderings about maintenance starting on THIS PAGE of my current journal. I did 5 posts about it in all. After reaching 190 pounds in August 2016 I declared the mission accomplished. The plan was to keep doing what I was doing, but over time a maintenance mindset crept in. That was not a good thing. I didn't just "keep doing what I was doing." Even though I stayed true to the LCHF lifestyle I put on 25 pounds by September 2017. I'm still working on getting those pounds back off.

I'm not one to tell people what to do. I'm an advocate for figuring ourselves out; self experimentation. Some things that work for me may not work for you and vise versa. What we want to do may not be in line with what we can do. I know that I could not do the 'carb night" thing. I went a little too high on the carbs last year and paid the price. But, then, I eat more carbs than a lot of other people can get away with. The key is to be honest with yourself. If you try something and "it ain't working", then stop doing it. If you get too far off the rails with your WOE it isn't so easy to get back to the place where you want to be.

Consider starting a journal yourself. I find it very handy to be able to refer back to what I was doing at various stages of my journey. It hasn't always been perfect, but it is nice to be living my life again. I want to keep it that way.

Size 34 jeans is a nice size. You'll get there soon. I had an old pair of size 34 Levi's that I hadn't fit since the late 1980's as my goal jeans. It was an amazing day when I was able to slide them on and button them up for the first time in nearly 30 years.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-18, 13:35

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. Those are some incredible results for that amount of time, congrats on your amazing success!

I've been "maintaining" for lack of a better word, for coming up 18 months. It's been interesting, I've allowed myself a few extras and all that's done for me is resulted in a few extra pounds creeping back in as well. So I got rid of them again earlier this year. That experience taught me that I pretty much need to keep eating what I was when I was actively losing. But of course, YMMV.

I float between 34" and 36" jeans myself, too. 34 is nice and snug for the winter months I'm currently heading into (NZ here), while 36 feels more comfortable for the summer months, although there's always shorts as a last resort for those hottest days, hehe.

Glad to have you with us; hope to see you stick around!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 04:44

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the welcome- much appreciated. I'm curious about just keeping going on Keto / Low Carb and that I will level out. So at some point your body just regulates and says "this is a good size..." I really have a lot of hesitation to add more carbs back into my life- it can be a very slippery slope.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 04:48

BF:
Progress:

Hi Ken- I've got your journal up on my screen to read later today. Thanks for sending that through.

I'm concerned about getting into the maintenance mindset as well- I know that in the past when I have reached a point of "comfort" with where my body was at, I relaxed a bunch of the rules. Soon they became so relaxed that I just forgot about them. Too easy to make exceptions.

I'm new to the forum world completely- not sure about the journal and where to even start?

Thanks-
Scott
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 04:52

BF:
Progress:

Hi Grav-
It's funny... yesterday was the first day warm enough here in Ohio to wear shorts. I grabbed a pair of my new 36's and the first thought through my head was "there's no way these are going to fit... they're like kids sized" and then I slipped right in. My brain still plays these tricks on me.

But I do worry about fitting into them- recently I've been so over scheduled that I have not been doing my normal exercise routine but I have stayed true to my way of eating. It causes me a lot of anxiety- not sure this will ever go away-

Thanks for sending me through the message. I like this forum.

Have a great day.