Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: to be happy
Stats: // Female 168
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry HELP! fell off the wagon yet again!!!

I'm getting discouraged!!! I've started Atkins Induction five times in the last couple of months and never got past day 5. It's so discouraging to try so hard for several days, then slip up and have to go back to day 1 - especially when that happens several times in a row! I'm also getting worried that all these false starts may be having bad effects on my metabolism. Does anyone know if this is the case? If so, I mights be better off quiting the whole Atkins thing and just eating "normally"!
Anyway, obviously I need to change my approach in some way. Suggestions would be much appreciated!!
I think there are a few reasons I'm having trouble sticking to Atkins.
One is that I didn't feel great, although things did improve after day 2. I had less energy usual, which was a problem for me because I need to have a lot of energy to do my job. Also, the tiredness has been discouraging me from exercising, which bothers me because I want to tone up my muscles as well as lose fat.
Another problem is that I live with people who are not doing Atkins. We are used to sharing meals a few times a week and it is really hard for me to opt out of that because it's an important part of my home life. I haven't told them that I'm trying to do Atkins because I'm not sure they would understand. Not being able to drink is also a problem, not because I feel the need to drink, but because going to bars is an important part of my social life. Also I have a few birthdays coming up and would like to be able to have a drink with my friends to celebrate. I would really feel like I'm missing out otherwise. I do *really* want to lose weight, but I also want to be able to live a normal life in the meantime.
Finally (and this problem concerns my eating habits in general, rather than just my efforts to stick to Atkins/low-carb), I have had eating/weight issues (what some call "borderline eating disorders") since my early teens, so for me there are all sorts of emotional/self-esteem issues tied up with food. I am concerned about trying to stick to such a rigid eating plan because of the danger of getting obsessed with my diet again. Also I know that whenever I try to be rigid about eating, I inevitably "cheat" after a few days and instead of getting back on track immediately (which I know is the sensible thing to do), I give up and binge and gain back any weight I have lost. This has been my experience with low fat/calorie dieting and I have had the same experience with Atkins. So I think I need to change my attitudes so that 1) cheating no longer seems so attractive, and 2) if I do cheat, I can forgive myself and continue instead of giving up. How can I do this???? Whatever method I use, I think it's going to be hard for me, so maybe I just need a more flexible WOE. On the other hand, I really want to lose my excess flab as soon as is safely possible and I know that to achive that, I have to make some sacrifices.
Well, that's it for now. Thanks for reading. Good luck with your efforts. Hope someone can give me some good advice.
Annie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 10:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Well, Atkins is probably the hardest way to go LC - and it's not the only way. As you noticed, it requires a lot of attention, planning, and certain amount of co-operation from others who share your living space. I would take the stalled attempts as a message: if it didn't work the other five times, it probably won't work this time. Your WOE has to fit into your way of *living*. Would you consider another WOE? Have you read other books?

Keep trying, though. For most people, low to moderate carb is a very good way to deal with bingeing issues - at least the physical urges to binge. The emotional side... is probably a whole different forum.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 11:40
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Kristine,
Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't read other books, but I was thinking of getting Protein Power. It seems to allow more flexibility. What do you (or anyone else) think?
Annie.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 12:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

That's a pretty good book; I have to take it back to the library soon. I assume you've taken a look at the "plan comparison" forum. Some very useful info outlining the basics before you spend money on the book. (Or go to the library, in my case. )
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 17:58
Registered Member

BF:
Default did it again!!! am i stupid or self-destructive or what?

yet again i sabotaged my efforts after two days. i know it's supposed to get easier after the first few days, but i am having so much trouble getting that far. today i was feeling so terrible i just had to have carbs! felt much better afterwards, but of course now have to deal with starting all over again. can someone please give me some tips on how to get through the first few days? i am really motivated to succeed, but always feel so physically terrible by day 2 or 3 that i can't go on. how do other people do it? since starting trying to do atkins i have got fatter! am i the only failure?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 03:56

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 250/215/180
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default You aren't the only one

Hi Anne:
No, you are not the only one that has not been able to do Atkins. I, personally really can do it because I am a meat eater. I can just eat meat, cheese and eggs and be happy. My daughter can't do it because she is not a meat eater. You have to look at what you eat and go from there. I was on "WW" for awhile and couldn't do it because I felt deprived. But on Atkins I can eat as much as I want, as long as there aren't any carbs involved. I know that you have group meals and there is no reason why you can't explain to your friends that you can't eat carbs. If they are really your friends they will understand, or they should. I have a husband that has never been fat and he has problems with my eating, but doesn't say much because he knows how I feel about it. I have found that when you are entertaining you can eat pork rinds with sour cream dip and it isn't too bad. There are alot of things that you can substitute. You just have to start reading carb amounts on what you eat. I was craving a bowl of cereal the other night, had my bowl out and then looked on the package. There was 46 carbs in 1/2 cup of cereal. I just couldn't do it. Drink tons of water, before you eat, for sure. That helps fill you up.
I also drink. That is probably my biggest downfall. If you can learn to drink a cocktail with diet soda or water you don't get the carbs that you would if you had a foo foo drink. Sounds terrible but you are still drinking no carbs and having a good time. Always get tall drinks, or have a water back with what you are drinking. You will find that you will drink less, eat the ice and drink the water and no one in the world will notice after the first time you order it. Just tell them that is how you stay sober enough to drive home and they will understand. Of course, you will probably always be the designated driver like I am, but that is okay too. You have gotten all of your friends home safely and stayed on your plan.
Take one day at a time. You will make it, just keep trying. Everyday that you try is a better day than one that you stop, if you really are wanting to lose. It is long struggle, it doesn't come easy. Just keep telling yourself that you are making some changes for the better. Your head will follow after awhile.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 16:28

Plan: Eat Food
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Twin Labs Mega 500 L-Carnitine

Hi! When I started this WOE this time, I used Twin Labs Mega 500 L-Carnitine. It was recommended in the book, oh now I can't think of the name. The book compares all the different LC eating plans, something like 'Make your Low Carb Diet Work,' or something along those lines.

Anyhow, I took one of those a day for the first couple of weeks and I swear that it broke my carb craving. The thing is, at least the book recommends, that you do not use any other brand. I don't know if it's a tie-in to the company or not. But, it did work for me!

Just a suggestion.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/145.5/125
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default don't forget that you don't have to do induction

I can't go a day without a treat so I made low carb cheesecake and lot's of other yummies to keep me going, of course it's not ideal for induction but it kept me straight for quite a while. Also I just found the best low carb chocolate bars called Pure Delite found at the Good Earth health food store. The whole bar has like 3.4g of carbs and it really is as good or better than the regular choc bars. I found a key to staying on the diet is making lots of things to eat that you like, just stuff yourself with recipes that are really yummy and allowed. Even if you are eating food constantly at first as long as it is low carb, you will find that your cravings for carbs diminish after just a couple of weeks. They really do!

Don't punish yourself too much for falling off the diet.. I have the same problem when I am having uncontrollable circumstances that cause me to feel down. But to remember, what is the alternative, to throw in the towel and accept your size and be happy with it, or get back to it with a new hope and a self forgiving attitude.

I am just now trying to get back on myself.. so I am here with you.
Also, I have a friend who is doing very well on the diet and I truly think it's because of the endorphins from her daily exercise.
I haven't started any exercise program as of yet and that could be my problem.

Good luck and keep us posted! Feel free to post to my journal.

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 11:06
Registered Member

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 220/200/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up

Hi Jen

I was just reading some out of your journal...... Thank you for mentioning Flylady.net....... I love it... Not only is it giving me excrise (In some Warped sorta way) It also can help you get your life in order- and I think my LCing will fall into place.... I lost 85 lbs. 2 1/2 years ago with no mental struggles.....only difference was .... My Life...Home......Relationship (w/ my husband ) Were all in order....No Clutter for my mind!!!!! Its hard to devote yourself to dieting when your constantly thinking about how you *SHOULD* be doing this-that-or the other!!!! With all the minor things outta the way I can devote myself to me /which makes me a better person for my famliy!!! Thanks Again!!!
PS.......MY kicthen sink sparkles now>!