Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 22:44

Plan: ProteinPower/WAPF
Stats: 163/163/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Newly Pregnant and Still Nursing Baby

What are your thoughts on how low carbohydrates should be when you are LCing while being pregnant and breastfeeding a baby still under the age of 1?

I'm trying to maintain a calorie intake of at least 2000 calories a day, but that said, where would you say my carbohydrate range should fall? I had been thinking between 150-200 to be on the safe side, but the more I'm reading, I may not need to ramp it up so high?

I currently weigh in at 163 with a realistic healthy weight being 135 on my 5'4" frame. My last pregnancy I was able to simply maintain my weight (which at the time was 185) so when I gave birth I was 15lbs lighter than when I got pregnant. I've gained and lost and gained and lost since then, but I'd like to simply maintain my weight again. I was pregnant and breastfeeding throughout half my pregnancy the last time as well.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 18:24

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Welcome !!!

I think if you are going the LC route, you should eat as many carbs as what makes you feel the best!! I also think 150 carbs is a bit on the high side. Do you have a reason for wanting to eat so many? When I first got pregnant I was a little worried bc I'd been VLC for a number of months and was feeling great, but unsure of how my WOE would affect (if it would at all!) my pregnancy. I did tons of reading and research regarding LC and pregnancy, everything I could find.

I decided to maintain my WOE since I already knew it was optimal for my own body, no reason to add stuff in that would only make my diet less nourishing. Turns out, it had a HUGE effect on my pregnancy, at least I think so. I had ZERO morning sickness. My energy levels have been great this whole pregnancy. I easily passed my glucose challenge. NO swelling at all, and I haven't been out walking for a couple of months now like I had been early in the pregnancy. I've been sleeping great except for having to pee all the time. And I'm thinking all of FAT I've been eating has helped so much in keeping away the stretch marks too, lol! I've only gained a total of 9 pounds as well, and baby has been growing on target, he's estimated to be around 7.5 pounds now, but we shall see very soon!!!

I have no complaints at all from this pregnancy. I'm closing in on 40 weeks, and I'm in no hurry at all, as I am quite comfortable and still feeling great. Maybe I am just lucky, but I think so much of all the great parts of this can be attributed to my excellent nutrition (even if my care providers don't agree with my WOE ).

I don't know much about the BF'ing while pregnant part, except that what I've seen women speak of most affecting supply is the amount of fluids they take in. I wouldn't worry about lowering carbs during pregnancy if that's your WOE. There is more and more stuff coming out regarding the positive impact of a lowered carb intake during pregnancy on overall fetal development. Dietary ketosis is no biggie, just stay well hydrated .
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 20:14

BF:

lol you'll have to forgive me, but what does WOE mean? I'm still figuring out the lingo!

As to why I have my carb limit so high, I just read all sorts of stuff saying to "be careful and not consume too few carbs while breastfeeding" and was just concerned my milk supply would suffer. Maybe I can just start reducing my carbohydrate intake slowly.... ?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 21:39

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

WOE stands for Way Of Eating

This is my first babe, so BF'ing is still new territory. I would think that slowly reducing carbs is a good idea if you are worried about supply. Just make sure you are drinking tons of water!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 12:12

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)

wow, Mfish, your pregnancy sounds awesome!
I am nearly 7 weeks along and feeling pretty good. Have kept sugar out of my diet pretty much and kept my carb fairly low. some days higher than others. some days I don't eat any carbs at all.

as for breastfeeding, my 4 yr old (I know! crazy!) only has "one sip" every now and then, so I can't really offer up much advice... except that if you and your nursling tolerate dairy products, maybe up your intake instead of the amount of carbs you eat, and maybe start offering hard cheese to your nursling? I personally wouldn't go over 100 carbs on most days...

I really like the book Real Food for Mom and baby by Nina Planck, she has a lot of great recommendations for pregnant and nursing mamas, and babies.

what is your body telling your to eat? how far along are you?

congrats, btw!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 14:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestrange
wow, Mfish, your pregnancy sounds awesome!
I am nearly 7 weeks along and feeling pretty good. Have kept sugar out of my diet pretty much and kept my carb fairly low. some days higher than others. some days I don't eat any carbs at all.

as for breastfeeding, my 4 yr old (I know! crazy!) only has "one sip" every now and then, so I can't really offer up much advice... except that if you and your nursling tolerate dairy products, maybe up your intake instead of the amount of carbs you eat, and maybe start offering hard cheese to your nursling? I personally wouldn't go over 100 carbs on most days...

I really like the book Real Food for Mom and baby by Nina Planck, she has a lot of great recommendations for pregnant and nursing mamas, and babies.

what is your body telling your to eat? how far along are you?

congrats, btw!!

I have to say that since cutting back on carbs and actually consuming more salt (in the forms of pickles & some bacon lol, what a combo!) and protein, my morning sickness has really kind of disappeared except right after I eat something which is VERY nice side effect. I'm still consuming on the high side of carb intake(100-150), but it feels about right - I feel good in general. I have to break my sugar in the coffee habit, which will cut out 30carbs a day if I am drinking 2 large cups.

Farm fresh eggs and fresh milk have been a staple of my diet so far and are a great place for good fats, protein & nutrition (fresh milk is sooo nourishing for you!)

I'm 7w3d today <3 and my nursling is almost 9 months old.

Congratulations to you on your pregnancy! How are YOU feeling so far?