Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 12:26

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default Is It REALLY possible to lose 100 lbs in a Year???

Is It REALLY possible to lose 100 lbs in a Year or less? I mean, I really want to know. I don't want to set my expectations high only to fail. Let's say for instance that I stay on track with no major cheating or binging or just near perfect low carbing....then is it possible - is it really possible? Or shoud I set my goal to a much lesser amount like 50 lbs?

Successful 100 lbs or more losers please respond to this post. I really want to know. I don't want to fool myself thinking it can be done if that's really not the case.
Thanks so much & Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/99.0/102.0 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Everyone's experience is different, but I lost 90 pounds in less than 14 months, so that's pretty close! I think it can be done.

Even if it takes longer, it still feels great to be heading in the right direction. When I went from 190 lbs to 150 lbs, I was happy to be 150 lbs because it was a big improvement, even though it wasn't even halfway to my goal.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 13:01

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

That totally depends on how committed you are.

I've been LC since August 2005.
I've since lost 95 pounds with 10 more pounds till I reach goal to total a weight loss of 105 pounds.

During my time of learning what is a good or bad LC choice I also experimented with supplements to support my heart, diabetes and asthmas issues. Some supplements made me gain so, I did have some set backs but now that I have it down to a science I have continually lost weight.

There is a lot to learn about the LC lifestyle and about yourself adapting the LC lifestyle so, if your goal is to lose 100 - you shouldn't put a time limit on it.
Your goal should be to lose 100 and learn all you can in keeping it off forever - no matter how long it takes.

Good Luck!
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 13:04

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 499.0/166.0/199.0 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Everyones mileage varies, but it is definitely possible.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I just began a high protein/ low carb diet that consists of mostly shakes, bars and other low carb products. Those I know who stick to this program are typically losing between 2 and 5 lbs. a week. Some keep it off, some don't, just like any other diet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 14:02
Back 2 Good

Plan: This n' that
Stats: 250/229.8/199 Female inches
BF:49.89/19.23/20.44
Progress: 40%

The most I lost was 75 lbs in 10 months (I had already lost the rest), but in all of my strictness I didn't transition through and had no idea how to maintain the quick loss and have gained some back. It's probably possible, depending on the person, but what's also important is having a plan to maintain it once you get there.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 14:57

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Some keep it off, some don't, just like any other diet.

May be those 'some people' are looking at Low Carb as a diet when in fact it is an eating plan. If those 'some people' truly educate themselves on understanding the full theory of LC - they will find Low Carb is far from a 'diet'. It's a lifestyle eating plan that needs to continue on even AFTER their goal is met. The simple reason why people put weight back on is because they drop Low Carbing once they reach a comfortable weight.

I've incorporated Low Carb into my life so well that there is no question in my choices as I now naturally pick the best choice and it's always LC.

Nikki
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
May be those 'some people' are looking at Low Carb as a diet when in fact it is an eating plan. If those 'some people' truly educate themselves on understanding the full theory of LC - they will find Low Carb is far from a 'diet'. It's a lifestyle eating plan that needs to continue on even AFTER their goal is met. The simple reason why people put weight back on is because they drop Low Carbing once they reach a comfortable weight.

I've incorporated Low Carb into my life so well that there is no question in my choices as I now naturally pick the best choice and it's always LC.

Nikki

I am not going to quibble over words with you.

Webster's dictionary: a."food and drink regularly provided or consumed
b : habitual nourishment "

Also the lessons I recieve with the PLAN I am on show a person how to transition into a lifelong low carb way of eating.

You may ask why I am using such a plan rather than simply eating low carb foods? It is because I am a binge eater and cannot stop eating when I go on a binge with regular food. I do not do that on this PLAN. I am not going to argue about this. This is the plan I have chosen and one I think I can stick to.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:22

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

I lost 102 pounds in 10 months, but I was very devout with both food and exercise. It depends on how bad you want it and the price you're willing to pay to get it. I've slowed down, now, but I lost 114 pounds in 15 months. I don't feel deprived at all and absolutely love the food I eat on Atkins. I was away over Christmas and couldn't wait to get home so I could eat the food I was craving--legal Atkins food. I now crave what I can have. I know I can do this for life and don't really care how long it takes to lose the last 30 pounds. I'm almost 57 years old, female and have problems with low thyroid, so it's not like being very young with a great metabolism and losing a bunch. Making up your mind to do it goes a long way towards it happening for you. A positive mind-set can make the impossible happen.

Sunny!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

While it is possible, putting a time limit on it can be an unwise thing to do.

It took me 15 months to lose 100 lbs......it took me 20 months to get to my goal weight. To me, it did not matter how long it took because I was teaching myself to eat this way for life and that takes a very long time.

I'm now maintaining my weight loss for 1 year as of 12/18/06.....and I could not be happier and am very proud of myself and all that I've accomplished.

Take your time and do it the "right" way (OWL phase of atkins is the right way)and you'll never be on another diet for the rest of your life.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:27
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
I am not going to quibble over words with you.

Webster's dictionary: a."food and drink regularly provided or consumed
b : habitual nourishment "

Also the lessons I recieve with the PLAN I am on show a person how to transition into a lifelong low carb way of eating.

You may ask why I am using such a plan rather than simply eating low carb foods? It is because I am a binge eater and cannot stop eating when I go on a binge with regular food. I do not do that on this PLAN. I am not going to argue about this. This is the plan I have chosen and one I think I can stick to.

I wish you luck on this plan fluffybear....time will tell how you do this time.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I wish you luck on this plan fluffybear....time will tell how you do this time.

Lord knows I'm TRYING Judy. LOL!!

I agree with the above poster about the principles of low carbing--I've been at it enough to know them by heart. I just have a problem with regular low carb food. The plan I am on has lessons that teach how to eat right and transition back to regular low carb foods. I am hoping that this will be what I am looking for. I learned a lot over the holidays about myself and why I eat the way I do. I made pies and cakes for the family and THEY didn't eat them--I did!! Ouch! I realize now that not only do I not have to show my love to others through food, but I need to love myself enough to take care of myself. I am simply using the plan I am on as a jumpstart. Thank you for your post. .
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:48

Stats: 365/255/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Is it possible? Yes. I went from 365 to 265 in a year.
Is it likely? No.

A major reason I think I could loose that much was I had so
much to loose.

Fyler
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:48
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Let me add one other item to the mix.

The FIRST time I lost 102 pounds in 4 months.

The SECOND time I lost the same 100 pounds in 8 months.

The THIRD time I am losing the same 100 pounds it will take as long as it takes.

What I am trying to say is that it is NOT in the LOSING the weight where the success lies...it is in the KEEPING it off after you have lost it where true health is found.

I wish you every success in finding health. However long that takes.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 15:53

Stats: 316/238/170 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki

Nikki

Don't be so quick to judge....a lot of us had the same attitude you have. I spouted my mouth off plenty from my ivory tower/pedestal when I lost 100 pounds, and condemed those who couldnt' stick to it, and I told everyone who would listen that because I saw it as a lifestyle choice rather than a diet that I would never ever fail...guess what - I did fail - my daughter almost died, my dad did die, my life went into a tailspin and I gained a lot of my weight back. Don't be so full of yourself, or so harsh and judgemental - it just may come back to bite you one day and you will be unceremonously knocked from your pedestal as well.