Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:45

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hmmm that is a really great idea I will have to call my local YMCA tommorrow and see if they have something like that I could get into. I know I would enjoy it. I haven't been in this thread lately cause of the fighting here lol. Just an update though I saw the endicrinologist and the dietician. Of course dietician thought I was crazy not to follow the regular food pyramid so that visit was just alot me me nodding my head and listening respectively till I could leave. LOL. The endicrinologist said the same as we all thought my EX doctor was crazy. He said I have dropped a considerable amount of weight on my own and he didn't consider me a candidate for it. He did test me and now I do know my thyroid and such are functioning normally. He said to continue whatever I am doing and he is sure I will lose the weight. I got a new doctor now went to see him on Friday. He was also impressed with how Atkin's was working for me and agreed with the endicrinologist that I should at least give Atkins a yr or so before I considered surgery. He was a big fan of Atkins and seemed very supportive of the low carb way of life. So I am very happy with him right now. He did write a prescription for this stuff called Xaiel?? I think LOL but it has to be approved by my insurance before they can fill it. He said it works well with low carb dieting so we shall see. I am hoping it will help me along. Been stuck at 254 for over a week now so I need the encouragement!!!

KimNWI
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 07:49

BF:

OH I did go down to the clinic that day and talk with my old doctors supervisor and I also submitted a letter to them regarding his rash judgement of me. They were very careful not to imply he did anything improper lol but said it gave him real cause for concern, thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said it would be brought to his attention. I don't know if they were sincere or just brushing me off. I am sure since I had lost 6 more pounds since I saw my old doctor last it helped my case!!

KimNWI
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 10:49
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Kim

Good job being proactive and getting yourself a supportive doctor.

Suggestion: be proactive in this situation, as well. What is this medicine the doctor prescribed? I ran a Google on Xaiel, and didn't find anything. What is it supposed to do? How does it `work well' with Atkins? Is it an appetite suppressent?

I am NOT telling you not to take it. I AM encouraging you to be an informed consumer, and realize that ultimately these are your decisions.

Twice in the past I had been losing weight successfully, and had medicos note that, then give me `diet pills.' Both times, those weight loss attempts boomaranged. What were they thinking? My guess is, they weren't, much. Almost a knee-jerk response on their part, `Oh, losing weight, take these.' Their first injunction, to do no harm somehow got drowned out by the voice of their drug suppliers. So if I seem like I"m over-reacting here, please forgive, and put it in the context of my experience.
I'm a whole lot more decisive now about what I will take. Last week I had a dentist prescribe some steroids for me following a surgery (by another dentist.) Filled the prescription, brought it home, read the contraindications and possible side effects, and pitched it. It was basically an anti-inflammatory to speed up the healing process, and I'm already healing well, and could do the same thing with less invasive medicines. If that was a life-or-death kind of thing, then clearly I wouldn't be making that decision--but it didn't feel right to me to take something unnecessary that might have some negative side effects.

I understand the frustration of the scales sitting still for awhile. We all go through that; the body needs time to adjust once in awhile, and often we are losing inches while when the scale refuses to budge. You've lost 50 pounds in three months--hardly a snail's pace. I'd be leery about adding anything else to the mix right now that might backfire.

Again, I'm NOT saying don't take a doctor-prescribed medicine--but if it's working already (and clearly, your program is) I would ask why he would be in a hurry to fix it. I would want to know exactly what the medicine is, what it is supposed to do, what the side effects are, and how it might help or hinder your program.

being a nosy buttinsky here---take all advice, including this, with a grain of salt. . . .
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 11:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Given doctor handwriting, are you sure it doesn't say "Xenical"?
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Fair enough, I don't mind that you don't agree with me, to each his own. I'm the first to admit WLS wasn't the final answer for me. It still helps me though and I don't regret having gotten it. If I lost 120 lbs with it, and then regained 80 before I found low-carb, what would have happened if I'd never had it? I would have probably gained at least 80 more pounds by the time I found low-carb. Starting this diet at 420 lbs would have been harder still than starting at 300, not to mention the devastation to my body by getting to that weight.

All I really ever want to do in these WLS threads is to let people know that the bias against WLS that tends to be seen on low carb support boards is just that, a bias, an opinion. And to let them know that there are other opinions out there.

And to let anyone out there considering WLS because low carb hasn't been the holy grail for them know that though many around here won't support their choice, there are some who will.

Val

I just want to point out that regaining weight on the way back to a previous high is not the same process as gaining new fat. In all likelihood you might have gained al ittle more weight (in fact, if your obesity is related to hyperinsulinemia, it's most certainly true)... but you wouldn't have gained 80 pounds! When you lose weight you're emptying over-filled fat cells, cells that can easily be filled up again. Dr. Phil once said it like this. We are born with the genetic capability to fall in a range of weights, but we can control WHERE in that range we fall.

It's as much of a myth that anyone can easily become super morbidly obese as it is that anyone can lose as much weight as they want to just as easily. Technically it is possible to gain/lose as much as you want, but in practice the individual variation between bodies makes it difficult to near impossiblity.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Given doctor handwriting, are you sure it doesn't say "Xenical"?

Thats the correct spelling I was misspelling it before sorry. He said it would block 1/3 of my fat intake and speed up my metabolism. I know that Atkins is high fat but he told me that it works great with low carb eating plans. He did warn me that if I take in too much fat I will have bathroom issues. He seemed very knowledgeable and supportive of low carb so I think he understands how it works. I honestly just figured heck its worth a shot. If it doesn't seem to be helping or if the reactions are too bad from it I will just tell him I don't wish to continue it. I figured its an alternative to surgery for me right now and just gonna attempt to hope for the best. I have stopped losing completely the past week or so. I know a true stall is 6 wks with no loss in pounds or inches. The past month or so I am just dropping like a pound a week on average. I know thats ok later on when I am close to goal but I am still SOOOOO far away from normal weight something has got to give. When he offered a way to help me along I took it. I know it sounds bad and desperate but I guess I am, I am soo miserable looking this way and changing so slowly. I think once I reach like 200 I will have more patience after that. Its honestly humilating how much I hate my body and i don't now if its just a self esteem issue that underneath it all I don't believe I can do it or if its because I am being realistic about how fat I honestly am and just trying to find a way out. This whole thing/thread is embarassing but I hope I find some kinda way to hang on until I look like me again so much that I am willing to embarass myself on here.

KimNWI

Last edited by KimNWI : Sun, Aug-14-05 at 14:06.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 17:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There are other threads going about Xenical. I don't know anything about it, myself.

I know it won't do any good for someone ELSE to just say "you shouldn't hate your body". It goes deeper than that, I know. I went through a lot of soul-searching before I got to the point of being able to look at my body's flaws and not feel like I'm less of a PERSON because of my fat.

In the end, the only person who can make the right decision for you is YOU, whether it be diet and exercise, using a supplement or pill to help you along, or even surgery.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 18:21

BF:

Well I did the search on the board for the Xenical and read the stories. Its making me second guess this whole thing GRRRRRR. This battle of the bulge is indeed the hardest fight ever fought by me. I am gonna make another appt with this doc and tell him what I learned the bathroom stuff seems alot more severe than I thought. Sorry to bug everyone.

KimNWI
  #84   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 18:57
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNWI
Thats the correct spelling I was misspelling it before sorry. He said it would block 1/3 of my fat intake and speed up my metabolism. I know that Atkins is high fat but he told me that it works great with low carb eating plans. He did warn me that if I take in too much fat I will have bathroom issues. He seemed very knowledgeable and supportive of low carb so I think he understands how it works. I honestly just figured heck its worth a shot. If it doesn't seem to be helping or if the reactions are too bad from it I will just tell him I don't wish to continue it. I figured its an alternative to surgery for me right now and just gonna attempt to hope for the best. I have stopped losing completely the past week or so. I know a true stall is 6 wks with no loss in pounds or inches. The past month or so I am just dropping like a pound a week on average. I know thats ok later on when I am close to goal but I am still SOOOOO far away from normal weight something has got to give. When he offered a way to help me along I took it. I know it sounds bad and desperate but I guess I am, I am soo miserable looking this way and changing so slowly. I think once I reach like 200 I will have more patience after that. Its honestly humilating how much I hate my body and i don't now if its just a self esteem issue that underneath it all I don't believe I can do it or if its because I am being realistic about how fat I honestly am and just trying to find a way out. This whole thing/thread is embarassing but I hope I find some kinda way to hang on until I look like me again so much that I am willing to embarass myself on here.

KimNWI

I would think Xenical would be even more effective with a high fat diet, since it works by preventing the absorption of fat energy and does not affect carbohydrate energy. Logically, eating a greater percentage of your energy from fat while taking Xenical would result in less net energy for your body, which creates a greater energy deficit producing weight loss. Although, like your doctor said, the more fat calories you replace from carb calories, the more the xenical can work, which means the more likely it is you'll experience unpleasant GI side effects.

If you want to try Xenical that is your choice. I think drugs are safer and less permanent than surgery. I would suggest trying to manipulate calories (fat intake) first before using Xenical to do it for you .
Personally I don't think people should resort to drugs to lose weight, because IMO anything you do to lose weight should be something that you can always do & use. I think weight control ultimately comes down to what you're eating. Everything else just affects what happens to the consumed food (or how much you want to consume). Now I'm not trivializing the importance of other lifestyle factors, like getting regular sleep, reducing stress, etc because these are crucial for allowing your body to use energy properly, much like carbohydrate restriction, and are a boon for health.
However, diet is the overwhelmingly significant factor affecting weight status. Because this is a truth people should focus primarily on diet when attempting to lose. You can use drugs, activity, under eating significantly and stuff like that to speed up the process but as long as you are learning along the way how to manipulate your diet composition & food intake so as to always result in weight maintenance at a healthy level, that's the real important thing. Using helpers is fine as long as you aren't dependent on them. Depending on drugs or exercise is a mistake in the long run, since these are not as permanent/innate as eating habits. What happens if they stop making Xenical and you can't find anything else that works as well?

You hear lots of stories about athletes who stop training and pile on pounds even though they are eating the same way. You don't hear stories about people who know perfectly what and how to eat to avoid weight gain, gaining weight (unless they specifically start eating in a way they know makes them heavy for whatever reason, which is something a little different from unconsciously letting the pounds slip on because you stopped exercising or whatever). There is no greater tool for battling weight than knowing how to eat to not gain it in the first place.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 21:18

BF:

You make alot of good points as always. I am still going to talk with him again before deciding to try the meds. Thank you for your response I appreciate the time you took.

KimNWI
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 09:32
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
I just want to point out that regaining weight on the way back to a previous high is not the same process as gaining new fat. In all likelihood you might have gained al ittle more weight (in fact, if your obesity is related to hyperinsulinemia, it's most certainly true)... but you wouldn't have gained 80 pounds! When you lose weight you're emptying over-filled fat cells, cells that can easily be filled up again.

Actually, in 1995/96 I weighed about 280. When I went in for surgery in 1999, I weighed 340. That's a 60 lb weight gain in 3/4 years, and that was all new weight, I'd never been that big before. So, for me to extrapolate that to assume that without surgery for me to have gone from 340 in 1999 to 420 in 2003 isn't such a huge leap.

I can appreciate what you are saying about the difference in re-gaining weight and gaining new weight (that re-gaining is easier) and I'm not saying you are wrong about that, but it's presumptuous of you to assume that I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm talking about my own body and experiences. I stand by my statement that I would probably have hit the 400s without the intervention of WLS when I had it.

Valerie
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 19:29

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just another point I want to make - although all age is relative, I don't think 57 is all that old. IF you are morbidly obese, it feels that old for sure. I'm 48, and I would like to think that at 57 I've still got alot of life in me. (This has nothing to do with an opinion on WLS). Right now I'm an old 48 because I'm fat and out of shape, but I'm hoping I'll be a young 49. Three of the officers at my credit union are 60 or more, and they're leading active, full lives.