Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/CKD
Stats: 183/173/135
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi y'all...

I'm needing a little "keep at it girl". I started Atkins a month ago and in the first week lost 6 lbs (I assume mostly water weight). Aside from one cup of coffee in the morning, stuck with induction religiously and the scale hasn't budged more than a 1/2 pound in two weeks. No refined sugar, flour, starchy vegetable, or unallowed fruit has crossed my lips. I have, however, indulged (while staying within 30g of carbs a day after induction) in macadamia nuts... could this be the food that mocks my efforts?

I ride my bike six miles three days a week and do an hour water aerobic class twice a week. Telling me that I'm gaining muscle mass doesn't really help as I believe I should see *some* weight loss.

I read Protein Power this weekend and feel more comfortable with the plan... perhaps it's just that I appreciate the larger variety of foods allowed. It also gives me an idea of just how much protein I need daily (80g).

I noticed most people on this site are on Atkins... anybody out there who has been on Protein Power?

For the most part, I've notice increased energy and have been sleeping MUCH better. But, this morning, my bike ride was so HARD... I have never experienced such fatigue (even before starting LC). I'm taking my vitamins with additional magnesium.

Any tips or insight?

xo,

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Nancy,

I know, I know! You want to see something happen to keep motivated!

Are you eating enough calories and drinking enough water? Are you on any medications? These things can be a real bug-a-boo for a lot of people.

Changing your way of eating seems like a long, uphill climb and you are doing it for overall health as well as weight loss. During periods of doubt and lack of scale movement, I've just relaxed and been grateful that I've found a way to rid myself of the sugar demon.

Doreen, and I think Bonnie, started on PP. I did too, but I didn't incorporate many fruits or anything that remotely resembled bread, and it worked fantastically.

After being influenced by Atkins followers and consuming multi-quarts of whipping cream and LC desserts, I'm back to my original interpretation of PP - adequate protien, lots of vegetables and low in dairy fat. I feel the best when I eat this way, so it's worth the slow going at present.

Keep us posted!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your note, Karen. I try to get enough water (at least 6-8 glasses a day, more if I remember, in addition to no-locarb beverages). I usually find myself parched before I go to bed (with chapped lips, even... I had this before LC). I will talk to the doctor about that next week. Nevertheless, I am making a conscious effort to increase my water.

I keep a daily diary on FitDay (great site!) and consuming between 1500 and 2000 calories a day; I'm also staying within my carb limit.

I am on my third cycle of deprovaria (sp?) and will probably not continue since I think one must actually have sex to get pregnant. I'm thinking this hormone may very well be playing a factor.

I think I will be switching over to PP with a couple of modifications... like you, nothing that remotely resembles bread. However, a 1/4 cantaloupe or a handful of blueberries (they're so good right now) are hard to resist!

Again, thanks for your reply and support.

N
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 10:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Nancy

Actually, I have always been following PP, in a modified form, except for a week here and there in the winter, when I tried doing the Stillman's meat fast (very unpalatable, protein only, no carbs and no FAT) ... currently I've cut the carbs back to Atkins Induction level; I eat no grain products whatsoever ... mostly vegetables, salads, and I do have a lowcarb fruit several times a week (berries, melon, small kiwi, 1/2 grapefruit .. I'll probably indulge in a small fresh peach now they're in season) ...

But, I stick to the PP philosophy to ensure adequate protein every day, to make sure that I have protein at EVERY meal and snack, and to divide the carbs evenly through the day ... as opposed to chowing down the 20 carbs all in one go.

The DepoProvera injections have come up in discussions here before. Click here to read more about it. It is notorious for weight gain, and also has negative effects on your cholesterol .. .. You might be wise to consider an alternative.

Good luck

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 13:18
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info on Depo. Since I'm commonly known as the control subject for Murphy's Law, I think the the Depo is quite possibly the stall cause. I'm definitley not getting the shot again (and not just for the weight gain side-effect).

I like the PP philosophy, but have to admit that the reading was a little tougher than Atkins' book. Actually, it was the math for LBM and realistic goal weight ranges (which, to my surprise, was 20 pounds higher than what I expected... what a relief). Not only do I have to count carbs, but protein as well. It'll take me a few days, but I'm certain I'll get used to it.

Nancy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 16:49

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have found the Protein Power plan to be relatively simple and 'liveable'. There essentially is no vegetable or fruit you cannot have so long as you know the amounts. I find that I stick to the "bargain" veggies just for volume's sake.
You get used to the amounts of protein after a while and you don't have to measure so much anymore.
I've lost 8 pounds since the beginning of June so I'm hopeful that the rest will go...I know it will be slow but this is the first diet I've found where I can honestly say I have few cravings for my usual "trigger" foods (ie Lay's potato chips with buckets of Heluva good French onion dip....yummmm
Quick! Where's the pork rinds?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-01, 17:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Not only do I have to count carbs, but protein as well. It'll take me a few days, but I'm certain I'll get used to it.

The protein counting is fairly easy if you go by the Protein Equivalency Charts in the middle of the book. I typed up my own chart and kept it on the fridge until it became second nature.

Karen