Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 1,000,000 Hits in 3 Days Crashes Kimkins Diet Website

http://www.pr.com/press-release/42135

1,000,000 Hits in 3 Days Crashes Kimkins Diet Website

New fast weight loss Kimkins Diet got so much traffic from recent magazine cover they crashed their server.

Corona, CA, June 15, 2007 --(PR.com)-- Kimkins’ simple, fast diet program promises to take a huge weight off your shoulders – and anywhere else on your body as well very quickly.

“In today, obesity is rapidly approaching epidemic proportions, and it is taking a huge toll on our collective health,” says Dennis Sharp of Kimkins. “The Kimkins Diet is designed as an extremely fast way to drop those pounds rapidly – and all without the use of any diet pills or supplements.”

Kimkins was the featured diet for the cover of Woman’s World magazine June 12, 2007 issue and generated an incredible 1,000,000+ hits to the website in only 3 days.

“Our web host thought we were kidding when we asked for a third server upgrade in 24 hours to handle the unprecedented traffic,” states Sharp. “It was determined our customers required a “super server” with specialized features so the web hosting company actually got their top team out of bed to build it to our specs.”

Kimkins CEO, Kimmer, adds, “We expected good traffic from the article, but not 400,000 hits per day. Clearly there is a strong need for a diet that delivers far more than the traditional 1-2 pounds a week.”

The Kimkins diet has been designed by Kimmer, a model success story. In one year, Kimmer lost 198 lb, and she has maintained that loss for over five years now. She advocates a lean, low-carb plan – with less fat than Atkins and fewer carbs than South Beach.

The Kimkins website (available online at http://www.kimkins.com) also provides innovative daily menus and recipes that make it easy for dieters to eat light, healthy and tasty food. The web site offers an opportunity for members to interact and inspire each other, with personal journals, forums and progress photos, to drop that extra dress size or get in shape for the summer.

A Kimkins life membership costs only $59.95, where many other weight loss plans charge as much as $275 per week. The web site has already signed up over 20,740 members, all excited and eager to share their successful experiences in shedding pounds.

“With Kimmer’s personalized diet coaching, weight loss suddenly seems like an achievable, practical goal,” says Sharp. “If your New Year’s resolution was to lose weight, Kimkins is the perfect place to start.”
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 08:55

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

god PR.com...

she paid for this
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
god PR.com...

she paid for this

The contact info at the bottom says it's written by one Dennis Sharpe, c/o webmaster~kimkins.com, then below that is the contact info for the Kimkins site, which is Nikki Sharpe c/o kimkins.com. Would that be her husband??

No doubt they'll be moving to a larger server soon, with more sophisticated advertising and other profit-making machinery in place.

Sensationalism pays .. not to mention the gajillion "free" links posted on popular web forums such as this one. The more your site is linked to from elsewhere, the higher your search engine ranking.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:06
~writes for Him~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
The contact info at the bottom says it's written by one Dennis Sharpe, c/o webmaster~kimkins.com, then below that is the contact info for the Kimkins site, which is Nikki Sharpe c/o kimkins.com. Would that be her husband??

No doubt they'll be moving to a larger server soon, with more sophisticated advertising and other profit-making machinery in place.

Sensationalism pays .. .. not to mention the gajillion "free" links posted on popular web forums such as this one. The more your site is linked to from elsewhere, the higher your search engine ranking.

Doreen

Are you saying the actual magazine article was written by Dennis Sharpe?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:10
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel

A Kimkins life membership costs only $59.95, where many other weight loss plans charge as much as $275 per week. The web site has already signed up over 20,740 members, all excited and eager to share their successful experiences in shedding pounds.

Wow, even with the prices increases (incremental) since October when she launched - a cool million (easily) isn't hard to take!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB
Are you saying the actual magazine article was written by Dennis Sharpe?

It appears to be so. PR.com is basically a service for businesses to write and publish their own promotional articles, company press releases etc. It's not an independent news service with their own staff of writers http://www.pr.com/promote-your-business

Hmmm .. I just re-read your post .. Are you asking about the pr.com article, or the original article in Woman's World?? .

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:19

the vanity press for businesses

we (media) ignore this crap
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 09:23

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Never trust a CEO who uses a fake name ...
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 10:35
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Never trust a CEO who uses a fake name ...

Earlier press releases have her real name on them.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 10:38

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Wow, even with the prices increases (incremental) since October when she launched - a cool million (easily) isn't hard to take!

Regina, please learn from her

I love your reading blog and I don't see why, for example, you don't charge a small subscription fee. For example, make it free for 6 months or a year and then, slam, charge us 10 or 20 bucks per year or something.

Colpo had a very useful site which he shut down because he said it overwhelmed him and whined about having to make a living elsewhere. Lately, Eades has been making some noise about spending too much time blogging - I fear we might lose his site too!

What's wrong with getting paid for doing the things you love!!!

Just a thought.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube

I love your reading blog and I don't see why, for example, you don't charge a small subscription fee. For example, make it free for 6 months or a year and then, slam, charge us 10 or 20 bucks per year or something.

Colpo had a very useful site which he shut down because he said it overwhelmed him and whined about having to make a living elsewhere. Lately, Eades has been making some noise about spending too much time blogging - I fear we might lose his site too!

Just a thought.

as content is king, sell ads on a site instead of charging. the more hits and click throughs you attract the more dough you recieve.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 11:01
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube

Just a thought.

Mike (Eades) isn't going anywhere - he loves his blog way too much....he was really overwhelmed with the precedence he set to answer each and every comment though...problem resolved, he'll keep blogging!

I've toyed with charging a fee....ya know what though, I love my blog too and it's, I guess you could say, a hobby - it gives me that needed "break" from being "all mommy all the time" to do something that interests me and "give back" with no formal requirement to have time each day dedicated to it and only it ... I know (hope) the time I invest in my blog is helping others, even if I never see a dime from it; to me, that's "priceless" from both the perspective I feel like I am doing something for the "greater good" and also leaving myself with oodles of time to raise my son and have fun with him and my husband.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 11:07
Contrarian

Quote:
as content is king, sell ads on a site instead of charging. the more hits and click throughs you attract the more dough you recieve.

One thing I decided long ago I won't get into - endorsement, whether implicit or explicit - of products or services. I'll let readers know what I think about books though and if they want to buy one I've read, then they can click through the links which are set up with Amazon.com and do generate a commission (the only program I do belong to and use on the blog).

The reason why I set a standard to not include endorsements or recommendations of products and services (books are information) is because it undermines perceived credibility and questions influence - if you make it policy not to do it, no one can say you're bought and paid for in what you're writing. Just look around at the posts lately about KimKims and Jimmy Moore....not somewhere I want to go - it's not worth my reputation to make a buck.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 11:59

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Earlier press releases have her real name on them.

Is her real name mentioned at all in the WW article?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 12:13
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Is her real name mentioned at all in the WW article?

I haven't read it, so I don't know. From previous press releases for promoting the site though, her real name is Heidi Diaz (located at bottom of press release)

Feb. 08, 2007 - Kimkins.com Announces New "Boot Camp" Option
Closed Thread