Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I found to be allergic to the wellbutrin, got hives all over my back on Wednesday and called the doc, he says to stop the wellbutrin, but if the hives come back then there is something else to blame.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 14:49

Stats: 142/134/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

I just started taking Wellbutrin 3 days ago. So far, the only side effects I have are dry mouth and helping to curb my appetite. I haven't quit smoking yet. My doctor has me on 150 milligrams per day for the first week, and then 300 milligrams per day after that. He told me it takes 3 to 4 weeks before it really starts working. In the meantime, he told me to try to cut down on cigarettes and buy a brand I really hate, and smoke those.

Has anyone else been given this same advice?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 15:04

BF:

Christy, I have read that advice online before. I assume it would help because I know I couldn't keep smoking something that makes me sick. You should definately set a quit date and stick to it though, most of the sites I read say to quit on the second week of the meds. Careful with this though because as you can read in this thread it took 2 weeks and 2 days before I had my allergic reaction to it.

My doctor still doesn't think it was the wellbutrin because I still have hives today. It's another waiting game and can take a while to get out of your system.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:12

BF:

Thanks Amy.

I am going to keep taking it with the hopes that I will not have an allergic reaction and I will finally be able to quit once and for all. The patch didn't work. The gum didn't work. Cold turkey didn't work.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:34

BF:

Christy, one more thing. If you do happen to have a reaction, if you have the money (which I don't so I wont) ask your doctor for the IR type of wellbutrin. I have read many cases where the person is actully allergic to the casing on the SR type or the die, rather than the med itself.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 07:59

BF:

Hi Amy. Thanks. So far, the only side effects I have had are dry mouth and not being able to eat very much. Over the weekend, I had to force myself to eat and I can only eat just a little bit at each meal. What scares me about this is that I am taking 150 milligrams a day right now and on Wednesday, I will be taking 300 milligrams a day. I hope this doesn't affect my eating even more. Have you had this problem?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 08:10

BF:

I didn't have that problem, but you should also remember not to take the second dose too late at night when you start otherwise you will be up all night.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 11:09

BF:

Actually, when I start the 300 milligrams on Wednesday, it is in 1 pill, which I will take in the morning so hopefully I will be able to get some sleep at night. Right now, I've been sleeping really good on the 150 milligrams.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 08:52

BF:

Hi Amy and happy hump day.

I've started my 300 milligrams of Wellbutrin this morning. The bottle contains a big red sticker that says "May cause drowsiness." So far, so good though. Right now, I'm having a severe case of dry mouth. That's okay though, right? It is just an excuse to drink more water.

Anyway, the reason I am writing this morning is to find out from you how the Wellbutrin has helped you. Did you stop smoking right away when you started taking it? Or, did you wait a few weeks like my doctor has suggested I do? Also, how did it help you? Did it curb your cravings for a cigarette? Did it help with irritability, etc.? Did you change your daily routine in any way to help you?

Right now, I'm starting to prepare myself for my quit date. I've been reading alot on www.whyquit.com, trying to quit smoking in my house, and want to get back on Atkins induction and lose more weight before I quit (I have this fear of gaining and gaining and gaining....because I've been heavy in the past and because my mom's side of the family is obese and most of them have diabetes....I'm a sure candidate for both!) But, the Wellbutrin has been curbing my appetite so, right now, that is a good thing. What worries me is the side effect of anorexia. Scary situation, I think.

Any info. from you re: your experience with the Wellbutrin would be great! I just want to know what I have to look forward to.

Thanks,

Christy
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 09:08

BF:

I was told to quit in the second week of the meds and so I did, on the tenth day. It seemed to work for me just fine that way. I think it worked great, I had no cravings physically and it helped alot with the mental cravings also. I wouldn't worry about weight gain because as you mentioned it decreases your appetite. The anorexia issue is only a problem if you are anorexic before you start the medicine. The dry mouth is a common side effect and nothing to worry about.

I am still quit even with out it.

Hope this helps. I think you should also keep some postings (logs) in this thread jus to let others know it does work.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 10:25

BF:

Thanks Amy.

Once I get to my quit date, I will keep posting on this thread with my progress.

Christy
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 17:40

BF:

Hi Amy.

I haven't quit smoking yet, but am on week 3 of the Wellbutrin. Upping to 300 milligrams hasn't really affected me. The only side effects right now are dry mouth and crazy, crazy dreams. I've been sleeping very well and no rashes so far. Also, I've noticed not craving cigarettes so much lately and once I realize that I am not smoking while doing a daily routine when I normally would be smoking, I end up lighting one. I'm still preparing myself for my quit date by doing a lot of reading on the subject and taking this med.

I'll keep you updated.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 09:41

BF:
Default I spoke too soon!

Hi Amy.

Just wanted to let you know that on Saturday, after being on the Wellbutrin for 2.5 weeks, I broke out in hives!! I spoke too soon on Friday, huh? Anyway, I am really bummed about it. I went to the walk in clinic on Saturday because I didn't want to spend the weekend with a spreading rash. So, the doc I saw was not my usual doc and he said he didn't understand why I would break out in hives after being on the Wellbutrin as long as I was. I told him I've read and heard about this happening. So, he gave me 2 prescriptions of medicine to take, one for the hives and the other for the itching. Long story short: I'm no longer taking the Wellbutrin.

Thought I'd let you know. I think I am going to wait until after the holidays and try the patch again.

Bye for now.

Christy
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 10:16

BF:

So sorry to here that. I have gone back to smoking. I just don't think it's my time, I don't want it enough.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:19

BF:

So sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, I hear the average person tries quitting 10 times before they actually quit for good.