Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default New Study: Improved Diabetes Control With a Low-Carb Diet

http://www.dietdoctor.com/improved-...l-with-new-diet

Quote:
New Australian research finds that people with type 2 diabetes control their disease much better on a low-carb diet.

“The research results are ground breaking,” Associate Professor Grant Brinkworth, principal research scientist at the CSIRO said. “Health professionals have been divided over the best dietary approach for managing type 2 diabetes, and the ongoing uncertainty is a hotly debated topic amongst clinicians and researchers.

“The most amazing benefit of the low carbohydrate diet was the reduction in the patient’s medication levels, which was more than double the amount than the volunteers following the lifestyle program with the high-carbohydrate diet plan. “Some of the participants managed to cease their medications altogether, and many described the study as life changing.

CSIRO: Improved Diabetes Control with New Diet The question is, why is anybody still surprised? Should we not already know this by now?

http://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-re...-with-new-diet# (NEW diet? Well duh, if you ignore all the LC diets since Banting, including the diet used at Joslin Diabetes Institute in the 1920s)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 04:50

And from the UK, a new documentary being shared around the LC medical community. I have not watched it yet, but Fixing Dad is getting good reviews, now on Vimeo in the US.

http://www.fixingdad.com

Quote:
Fixing Dad is the story of a man whose lifestyle choices caught up with him until his two sons resolved to save him.

Geoff was overweight, over-worked and resigned to a premature death from a catalogue of health conditions. In November 2013 his doctor felt he and Geoff needed to talk about the possibility of foot amputation due to his type 2 diabetes. The arch of one foot had already collapsed as a result of Charcot's foot (a complication associated with diabetes) and the other foot was developing ulcers due to poor circulation. It was at this point that his sons, Anthony and Ian, decided that their own lives had to wait and they embarked on a mission to restore their dad's health and enjoyment of life.

They soon discovered that there were no quick fixes. They had to battle with decades of engrained and destructive habits and negativity, locked in place with almost superhuman stubbornness. In order to correct the health conditions, they had to overhaul every aspect of their dad's lifestyle. They decided to see if they could bend his resolute single-mindedness to their own ends as they attempted to get him in the best health of his life and reinstate him in his former post as their childhood hero. They called upon their film making experience to document their progress and help keep an ever-watchful eye on their dad and a compelling film began to take shape.

In over a year of honest and intimate filming we watch the two brothers struggling to transform their dad from an obese, barely mobile night time security guard to a fighting fit endurance cyclist, public speaker and health activist. Gradually Geoff has become determined to inspire and improve the health of others alongside his own. His sons, with their humour, support and determination prove that those we love make us strong and that a life we love is worth fighting for.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 05:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Wow! Who'd have thought....!

Jo xxx
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 06:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Here's a sample day's menu (from the CSIRO article .. http://www.csiro.au/en/News/News-re...-with-new-diet# )
Quote:
Sample daily meal plan (6,000kJ) * =1500 kcals

Low-carb, higher protein, high unsaturated fat diet pattern

Breakfast
30g Heart 1st breakfast cereal with 100ml skim milk
1 X Ryvita crispbread topped with grilled tomato and cracked pepper

Lunch
TUNA, RICOTTA AND AVOCADO SALAD
60g reduced fat ricotta cheese
100g tin of tuna (in springwater)
1 cup salad vegetables
˝ avocado (80g)

Dinner
CHICKEN AND ALMOND STIR FRY
150g (raw weight) lean chicken breast
2 cups cooked mixed vegetables
basil, ginger, chilli, garlic
10g (2 tsp) canola oil
40g (1/4 cup) chopped almonds

Snacks
25g of pecan nuts
100g low fat yogurt
tea or coffee with 100ml of skim milk

Sample meal plan provided to the intervention group in the research study. Ref: Tay J., et al, Comparison of low- and high-carbohydrate diets for type 2 diabetes management: a randomized trial, Am J Clin Nutr, Oct 2015, doi: 10.3945/ajcn.115.112581.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 07:56

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

"Ground breaking"?
“Health professionals have been divided over the best dietary approach for managing type 2 diabetes, and the ongoing uncertainty is a hotly debated topic amongst clinicians and researchers." What debate? They're all lock-step in promotion of low fat, healthy whole grains, and low fat.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 08:02

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Oh, ok. I see. It's only low carb in consideration of the whole day and that's only because there's no food here. How low can ANY breakfast cereal be? And a Ryvita crisp bread? lean meat is the only meat on the list. Then, you have canola oil, which, I guess is only bad from our perspective. They evidently don't object to PUFAs. Top all of that off with low fat yogurt and skim milk. Sure, high fat all the way.
How did anyone's meds get reduced? I guess this is actually the fasting system, rather than lc.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 08:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Lunch looks good, dinner looks good and I could eat both the way they are but I would definitely loose the cereal and add eggs for breakfast, for sure.

So good that some countries are seeing the light!

Yay for saving Dad!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 15:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Off topic slightly, but I went to Spain last week and went to dinner with some Swedish friends there (yes, I know Spain isnt sweden but hey - they live there lol). Anyway, they served up dinner and actually said "I'm afraid we eat low carbohydrate all the time now, but if you would like some bread to go with the food, we may have some in the cupboard" - WOW, the meal was omlette, pure meatballs, salad with sour cream - it was amazing and so nice to find people who consider low carb the norm!

None of them were doing it to lose weight, but simply because they like it and know its the best way to eat

Jo xxx
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 20:28

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And from the UK, a new documentary being shared around the LC medical community. I have not watched it yet, but Fixing Dad is getting good reviews, now on Vimeo in the US.

http://www.fixingdad.com

I can't wait to watch this!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-13-16, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

So if I don' eat glucose (and sucrose and fructose) then my blood glucose doesn't spike?

BRILLIANT!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 05:18

Yeah, groundbreaking, isn't it? Whenever a speaker shows the slide of the Joslin Diabetes diet from 1920, the 100 years of damaging nutrition guidelines seem criminal now.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-16, 13:11

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My grandfather graduated from Med School in 1920 and Joslin was all the rage. Also, when my sister was born and lived with my grandparents, it was "common knowledge" that you waited until babies were 6 mos old to wean them, and never on gluten grains, but veggies, meat, fruit and perhaps a bit of rice. Sadly, by the time my younger siblings and I were born in the 1950s, cereals became the rage and mothers even competed to see who could wean their baby onto cereal pablums the earliest.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-16, 04:27

FIXING DAD is back in the news today:

Quote:
These sons REVERSED their fathers diabetes by making him cut out pasta and bread. So why does the NHS advise the complete opposite? Geoff Whitington struggled with Type 2 diabetes for more than 10 years The 62-year-old father was overweight and faced a possible leg amputation Devastated by his lack of will to live, his sons Ian and Anthony took action By TANITH CAREY FOR THE DAILY MAIL 19 July 2016

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-opposite.html