Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 18:41

Plan: Atkins ‘72
Stats: 260.5/179.0/180 Female  5'5 1/2
BF:My hubs
Progress: 101%
Default New job need meal help!

I need some serious ideas. I am starting a new job. It’s over 2 hours away so I will be renting a room for the next few months. (Its suppose to become a work from home 80-90% if the time) I am currently looking for the room I’ll rent.

But I am a very private person so when I get home I’ll go straight to my room coming out only to shower and use the bathroom. There is a lot of stuff I’m gonna have to learn over the next few months, so I’ll be spending my evenings taking online classes.

I’ll be driving home on weekends to do laundry and see my hubs, kids and grand babies. I figure I’ll prep my meals for the week to take back to me. Pack it up in an ice chest and take back with me. Money is super tight. I see lots of salads and eggs in my future, lol. Any ideas?

TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Yah you got the job! I live your expected life.

-frozen chicken breast, $6.99 bag, nuke 2 min

-sometimes mix chx, or ground beef with southwestern mix salad, comes with dressing, pumpkin seeds, I add sour cream grated cheese and salsa. The salad 5 carbs for 3.5 servings, I stretch it to 4 servings ($3.47). The whole thing maybe 7 carbs, it's extremely satiating, you won't hunger for the next meal.

-lunch meat and cream cheese, pickles, gr. onion

-I love cheese dip with lunchmeat, warm

-canned corn beef, dark chx, tuna 99cents at so named store, sometimes I find on sale 50c/can and stock up.

-large cans of mixed nut $9.99 smart and final, or cooking packages of walnuts, peanut butter

-zuchini (6 zuchini 99c)

-cheese sticks

- atkins meal when on sale $3.00

added fat: butter, coco oil, creamer, mayo

Last edited by nawchem : Wed, Mar-14-18 at 21:23.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 21:45

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Roasted chicken parts; homemade cabbage slaw.
Crackslaw made with pork or beef;
Dinner leftovers packed in portions and microwaved;
Deviled eggs, pickled eggs

You can make a container of "muffin in a minute" flour (mine is 2 Tbs. flax meal, 2 Tbs. almond flour, and 1/2 tsp baking powder per serving), then add dash of salt, a raw egg, and make it sweet or savory in the microwave -- numerous variations! They are filling and very satisfying.

Lox and cream cheese rollups, or a cold cut and cheese "sandwich" (add mayo) with cucumber, capers or pickles, green onions, olives, cherry tomatoes, radishes, jicama...

BTW you can do a lot with a toaster oven, microwave, and slow cooker...(can be gotten very cheaply at charity stores like Goodwill...)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-18, 22:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Knew of a vet student that ate boiled chicken breast and a baked potato every day for lunch--same thing everyday, and easy to prep all at once, and take on the road riding with a vet.

Maybe borrow the chicken breast idea and apir it with green beans raw or broccali florets.

canned meats or pouches, just tear open.

nuts are an easy snack.

cheese holds up well out of the fridge-- the hard cheeses.

eating just two meals aday instead of 3 would reduce the pressure to fix a meal by 1/3
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 12:42

Plan: Atkins ‘72
Stats: 260.5/179.0/180 Female  5'5 1/2
BF:My hubs
Progress: 101%
Default thank you for your help

So when I posted this I was looking at renting room and sharing a bathroom with a person I hadn't met yet. I am a very private person. I am also a person that is recovering from bed rest (from Sept 2017 to mid Feb 2018) and major abdominal surgery in 12-2017. So going back to work is going to be exhausting and painful. I have no interest in socializing at the end of the day. That's basically what I will be doing all day.

I was/am planning on packing an ice chest to take with me to the room for rent. I am not planning on using her fridge. I found out I have access to a fridge at work. and a microwave. BTW- the job is over 2 hours from my home in case I didn't say before.

As of last night I am looking at renting the smallest studio I have ever seen. But it will give me access to a stove and fridge. My mind set is not to bring anything carbby into my home away from home. If I keep LC things in the fridge at all times it will help me lose weight.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll take anymore that you've got. Oh and I have never used a toaster oven so I'd love to hear what to use that for!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 23:39

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbydeb
So when I posted this I was looking at renting room and sharing a bathroom with a person I hadn't met yet. I am a very private person. I am also a person that is recovering from bed rest (from Sept 2017 to mid Feb 2018) and major abdominal surgery in 12-2017. So going back to work is going to be exhausting and painful. I have no interest in socializing at the end of the day. That's basically what I will be doing all day.

I was/am planning on packing an ice chest to take with me to the room for rent. I am not planning on using her fridge. I found out I have access to a fridge at work. and a microwave. BTW- the job is over 2 hours from my home in case I didn't say before.

As of last night I am looking at renting the smallest studio I have ever seen. But it will give me access to a stove and fridge. My mind set is not to bring anything carbby into my home away from home. If I keep LC things in the fridge at all times it will help me lose weight.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll take anymore that you've got. Oh and I have never used a toaster oven so I'd love to hear what to use that for!

You can bake anything in a toaster oven, provided it doesn't rise too much. Not all containers are suitable for that oven, though: some things which you can throw in a regular oven might melt in a toaster oven because they're plastic and too close to the heating element. If you transfer them to oven-safe ceramic, they do quite nicely.

I like to pre-heat the toaster oven a bit higher than the recipe recommended temperature, put in the food, then lower the temperature to the recommendation on the packaging. Because the appliance is small, it loses a lot of heat when you open the door. I use a timer. Sometimes the food takes a few minutes longer to heat than in a regular oven.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-18, 23:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My toaster oven even has a broiler pan for steaks. I also have a small baking pan for baking quiche or anything else you like. They're very handy.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 19:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm very fond of canned salmon, tuna, & sardines. I like to eat them (one at a time ) with fried eggs - of which I am also very fond. If I lived alone I could easily go for a week or more with just those & salads.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-18, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I just use the metal pan that comes with the oven. I slice up veggies like zucchini drench in olive oil and garlic. The other thing I like is fish. I buy the frozen patties. You have to experiment with the temperature thing.

My experience has been if you live with a single person you may hang out, really your choice. If you live with a couple or family, everyone goes their own way. I have a half shelf in the fridge, which is plenty and I use the burners and microwave. Mostly at night when no one is around. Many days we don't see each other, or at the most say hi.

There's nothing like having your own kitchen!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-18, 11:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I'm very fond of canned salmon, tuna, & sardines. I like to eat them (one at a time ) with fried eggs - of which I am also very fond. If I lived alone I could easily go for a week or more with just those & salads.

I was going to say this, too. Canned fish, a jar of mayo and romaine hearts or bagged salad go a long way for me. If you're going to have a stove and a fridge, boil eggs. Mozzarella sticks/string cheese are good to keep around, too. And gallon jugs of water.