Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 05:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 171/138/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Default 3AM Carb Binge during OWL.. What next?..:(

Hi all, I am 6 lbs away from goal weight and trying to make 30 net carbs daily to find my CL in OWL, however my boyfriend is a chef and it was his birthday.
I had a moment of weakness and after maxing my daily calories for my bmi and net carbs of 30 I woke at 3am and saw all the food in the kitchen and consumed an extra 125 net carbs and extra 1000 calories.
I am currently fasting the next day since then and too scared to weigh myself yet as its weigh day.
It's 1pm the next day and I'm getting hungry.
I'm wondering how to proceed..
Presuming I'm to go back to induction of 20 net..?
Any ideas?
Warm regards
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 07:59

Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Forgive yourself
Fast if you must but for me, if it’s been 12 to 16 hours after the binge, eat a good low carb meal with fat. It can get worse if starvation trips you into another binge. Also, your insulin is probably high due to the carbs in the binge and that can make you crazy hungry. Feed that hunger with fat and protein to soothe and stabilize.
Go for a walk - or if you are an exerciser, do your exercise of choice.
Drink lots and lots of water today - or herbal teas (hot or cold) - sparking water with lemon.
Forgive yourself and - what I do - weigh yourself after a couple days back on plan. Not necessarily back to induction, althought just a couple days re-set can help.

For me, I do find those binges are more likely to happen with alcohol, and with not enough sleep. It could also be the process of climbing the ladder- some things set off cravings. Maybe later, think about the day and what you ate in case that is part of it. Did I mention alcohol?

Did I say forgive yourself? You’re doing great. And you’re learning too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 08:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisLow
Hi all, I am 6 lbs away from goal weight and trying to make 30 net carbs daily to find my CL in OWL, however my boyfriend is a chef and it was his birthday.
I had a moment of weakness and after maxing my daily calories for my bmi and net carbs of 30 I woke at 3am and saw all the food in the kitchen and consumed an extra 125 net carbs and extra 1000 calories.
I am currently fasting the next day since then and too scared to weigh myself yet as its weigh day.
It's 1pm the next day and I'm getting hungry.
I'm wondering how to proceed..
Presuming I'm to go back to induction of 20 net..?
Any ideas?
Warm regards

Congrats on making it so close to your goal weight! Well done.

As you travel this journey to maintenance, we have new limitations to learn that only mishaps llike this can teach. So no worries-- use this as a teaching moment.

Look back at everything you ate th 24 hours before the binge. Somewhere there is a food or ingredient that triggered the craving and left you defenseless at 3am with all this food readily available.

Definitely the hungries are telling you ketosis is in the rear view. Staying hungry doesnt work for me, I cannot fast for a day. I cannot be hungry. Others can work thru this,I cannot as I compensate by binging. Not a good outcome. I go back to Induction to get ketosis rocking and rolling again. It only takes a few days, not like the first time which is longer. Your body like mine is primed for ketosis, so just a few days is what DANDR recommends. I cant remember the exact number of days, 4-5 days comes to mind.

Weigh and own it, or skip the weigh in, and meet the scale next week. WHAT will make YOU a success?? Which makes you feel empowered ? Which will help you continue your journey of success? If weighing will make you feel aweful, or an anyway negative, dont weigh.

This is an opportunity to learn how to work with challenges that will happen again in the future..... you can do this.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 08:50

BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys, it's funny as its not like me to need to do this but it's the fact that my bf cooked a daal and left it on the stove. I can't eat just a 1/4 cup of lentils as I'm a vegetarian/fish eater and used to having a whole bowl of daal as a meal. There were tortilla wraps left out so I had 2 and yes that is carb addiction as generally never eat wheat as can just keep eating.
I was stressing recently about how I'm going to work legumes into my life after the diet. Now it seems I can't really do that as I wanted to eat 2 cups of daal. That's 48 net carbs. Well let's see what my CL turns out to be. I'm hoping it will be like 100 as I'm moderately active and walk everywhere. But it will be really depressing if I'm carb sensitive.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 08:52

BF:
Progress:

Also my bf doesn't know I diet so it's secret and he pressures me to eat sugar. He doesn't understand and I'm too embarrassed to say
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 09:02

BF:

You wont know your CCLL until you get there.

Lentils are definitely high in carbs, and you might needs to work them in using a different recipe. Like I cannot eat a handful of nuts..... leads to another, and another. But if I add a couple to a salad , that works. Maybe lentils will be the same way for you--find a new way to eat your favorites.

ALso, you really dont know if you can eat them or not--- first issue is to figure out last nights binge. Why the lack of control.?

What it that this was tempting, so it should have been put away?
Was an OP alternative more readily available, to grab instead?
Was it an earlier food/ingredient that set off a craving?

Honestly, you are too early in the game to negate those lentils But I like that you are thinking about them, and how they work into your eating plan may need to be tested.

This last step transitioning to maintenence is the hardest step!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 09:28

Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisLow
Also my bf doesn't know I diet so it's secret and he pressures me to eat sugar. He doesn't understand and I'm too embarrassed to say

If it’s any help, I have a chef son and foodie partner and I find it’s easiest to say “I try not to eat sugar”. We all know it’s not healthy, and not necessary. If I want to be “bad” i’d rather have wine. My chef son totally gets that! My foodie partner chooses fancy desserts when out and has gotten used to me having a coffee or sometimes the cheese plate instead.

You don’t have to “come out” as a dieter, but just a sort of matter-of-fact, lifestyle thing. “Sugar makes me feel a bit crazy, and gives me mood swings, makes my pms worse so I try to avoid it” can be helpful for the guys to grasp. “It’s not about weight, it’s about health and avoiding diabetes and alzhiemer’s (AKA diatebetes type 3)”

I also say: “wheat makes me binge-y and I don’t want to go there.”

“I just feel happier without it.”

I’ve got lots of young girls in my life and I don’t want to talk about dieting, and buy into body-image stuff. I don’t actually believe all “carbs are poison” or lecture ppl on their grain and legume choices. But I do want to just model a healthy life, and being a calm, quiet voice that just chooses not to eat sugar and doesn’t whine about it seems to work with the foodies in my life.

You really are doing well. And part of the journey is the learning as Ms Arielle says. Eventually you’ll figure this out. For me, I found that after 18 months of low carb (20-35g) my body has adjusted and I can more easily eat a higher number of carbs with exercise and IF - Close to 100. Not every day, but a few days a week - last week I averaged 65 g (total, not net) per day.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-18, 10:59

BF:

I just watched a lecture that said with healing, the IR resets itself, allowing for better handling of carbs--- this seemed dubious, as it was a theory never heard before. Nice to see a real person live that out.