Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 06:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New book review by Dr Michael Eades that developed from email.
He always has a refreshing take on the latest LC news And good quotes...enjoy.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...-against-sugar/
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 09:34

Taubes and Dr David Ludwig together for talk at the Virginia Book Festival, March 24th, Charlottesville. http://vabook.org/program/how-we-ch...t-talk-science/

Excited for about three minutes, had decided to drive up for it, until realized I have another trip booked for same weekend. It should be a good one and half hour program with two LC experts.

But I did find many new Taubes talks based on the Case Against Sugar posted recently, typical author event talks, such as this one in Seattle https://youtu.be/2jla1ofRIiY

And a Business Insider short take 3 minute video of Gary explaining the history of the Sugar and tobacco combo that is so deadly. https://youtu.be/edr7tTPb38A

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-07-17 at 04:44.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 12:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Janet, I read the Eades post with interest. Fascinating how people operating in the same universe of interests all seem to know each other, or about each other. Same as in art, religion, education, etc. Unfortunately, arguments and discussions at that level can have a heavy influence on public policy, if not on individual behavior.

If I've learned anything in my forty-plus years of "dieting" experience it's this: the only thing that really matters to me is what WORKS for me. Science be d*mned. So I stick my fingers in my ears and yell LA-LA-LA-LA-LA when the arguments start. In fact, I wish I had done that in 1972 when Dr. Atkins rolled out his "theory" and stuck with him. I would have saved myself thirty years of torture and repeated failure.

This forum full of cheerleaders--and resources--helps sustain my blissful doubt, and my success as well.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-17, 07:45

First of three part interview with Gary about this book.
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...-against-sugar/
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-17, 08:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
If I've learned anything in my forty-plus years of "dieting" experience it's this: the only thing that really matters to me is what WORKS for me. Science be d*mned. So I stick my fingers in my ears and yell LA-LA-LA-LA-LA when the arguments start. In fact, I wish I had done that in 1972 when Dr. Atkins rolled out his "theory" and stuck with him. I would have saved myself thirty years of torture and repeated failure.

This forum full of cheerleaders--and resources--helps sustain my blissful doubt, and my success as well.

Seconded.

Thanks for link, Janet, loaded the first one!
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-17, 10:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I wish I had done that in 1972 when Dr. Atkins rolled out his "theory" and stuck with him. I would have saved myself thirty years of torture and repeated failure.
Same here. I was doing Atkins in the 1970s with excellent results, which I see in retrospect - I got to 139 lbs but was aiming for ~122 and thought I was failing; I now know that given my frame size I was in my ideal weight range. But I moved on to more and more healthywholegrains, dairy & soy/legumes, which I now know are the worst foods for my body and brain. Until I saw the vLCHF light.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 09:04

The Hunt for the Perfect Sugar

In Fortune magazine, first paragraphs of a long article about how hard it has been for the food industry to find a replacement for sugar.

Quote:
When the history of sugar is written, 2016 may go down as the year its image turned. Sure, we always knew those sweet white crystals could rot teeth and cause people to pack on the pounds. Obesity and diabetes were already national emergencies, with the latter representing 10% of U.S. health care costs in recent years.

But now an increasing number of researchers and a buzzy book, The Case Against Sugar, have also begun linking our favorite natural sweetener to such dreaded conditions as heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer. (Those conclusions are far from universally accepted to this point.) Adding a dark undercurrent, revelations in the fall suggested that the sugar industry paid Harvard scientists in the 1960s to trivialize its role in coronary problems and instead play up saturated fat as the culprit—which helped shape the direction of nutrition research to this day.

“Sugar is the new tobacco” in the minds of the public, says David Turner, a global food and drink analyst at market research firm Mintel.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/sugar...orie-sweetener/
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 09:38

BF:

I have come to see the processed food industries as no different from that sketchy guy with the pills he stole from mom's medicine cabinet. Sugar and wheat act like drugs in the brain; some people, more than others.

It's a scientific fact; yet if I bring it up anywhere than here, I am looked at as though I am claiming to be a martian. Even if the statement is in response to a person exclaiming, "I can't live without bread!'

Strange world we live in
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Being always on the search for extraterrestrials, I don't think you're a martian. Not even close.

I will say that I work in industry doing research and product development and a lot of what people take as malice is actually normal human activity. Do I think that sugar lobbyist deliberately targeted saturated fat? Yeah sure. Makes sense. I've seen a lot of bad arguments make their way into what I liken to the high school cafeteria conversations about product development. It's just people who enjoy chattering about whatever is interesting and new.

Kind of like us.

Maybe the sugar lobby just overplayed its argument. One study one way or another doesn't make any difference but they might have used it more effectively. The question is, where are the counter studies from the meat an poultry folks? Pork is the other white meat? Really? That's the best they can do? Where are the anti-sugar studies by the beef council or the pork council? Did they roll over like turtles?

That's the part that I'm disappointed with. Without a competition of ideas, the half baked ideas win (pun intended).

My guess is that there is a generally anti-meat - pro-flora bias that has nothing to do with the objective data.
  #115   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 12:57

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes. I've been disappointed when the beef people try to sell leaner beef as healthy. That gives too much ground. If lean beef and skim milk are put forth by their producers as healthful due to their low fat count, they're basically giving in to the idea that beef and dairy fat are particularly unhealthful.
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-17, 14:12

BF:

I see the anti-meat & fat thing catching on because it fit a lot of Puritan misconceptions about health and virtue.

Of course meat is "bad for you"! Of course eating gruel is "good for you"! Of course enjoying yourself is bad!

When I read The Case Against Sugar I was astonished at the number of experts, over decades, who were aghast that a slice of cake could possibly be bad for you. The way some of them carried on, using phrases like "reason for living," could only be described as "that sounds like addiction talking."
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 05:53

Another good talk with Gary and Dr David Perlmutter. Dr Perlmutter is a good interviewer covering the most interesting parts of the book, in more depth on the sugar in flue-cured tobacco, artificial sweeteners, microbiome, etc.
http://www.drperlmutter.com/empower...ter-gary-taubes

If you like Dr Perlmutter's interview style (and his neat book shelves ) he's has done other interviews recently with Dr Thomas Seyfried, Robb Wolf, Sarah Hallberg, and more LC favorites. http://www.drperlmutter.com/category/videos/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-17-17 at 06:05.
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 08:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I like Perlmutter's interview style. Always prepared and informed, he brings out the best in his guests. Thanks for the links! Given the number of interviews Gary has done on his latest book, I feel I have absorbed the most of the content and arguments, saving me the price of purchase. Good stuff.
  #119   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 10:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I like Perlmutter's interview style. Always prepared and informed, he brings out the best in his guests. Thanks for the links! Given the number of interviews Gary has done on his latest book, I feel I have absorbed the most of the content and arguments, saving me the price of purchase. Good stuff.

I always buy Gary's work; it's a joy to read, he adds enough new stuff to make it worthwhile, and I am also an avid re-reader when the book is good enough.

But it is very true that with the new wave of low carb books with the Paleo slant we old hands don't need the information nearly so much. But I am cheerful to see this much acceptance accumulating.
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 15:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I always buy Gary's work; it's a joy to read, he adds enough new stuff to make it worthwhile, and I am also an avid re-reader when the book is good enough.

But it is very true that with the new wave of low carb books with the Paleo slant we old hands don't need the information nearly so much. But I am cheerful to see this much acceptance accumulating.

Using a "thumbs up" for a "like."