Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 08:05

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm still riding and still loving it! Below is a picture of me from a recent 50-mile ride - it went great.

My goal by the end of this season is to do at least a metric century ride - perhaps a century (we'll see).

Anyway, I still love cycling so much and really miss it when I can't ride - like last week when I was away on business. Time to get back on the bike...

Anyone watching the TdF next month??? I can't wait to see if Lance can get #7!
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 22:34
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey Everyone!

How's the cycling? Still loving my C'Dale!

Karen... cool for you and your son! That is awesome!

Carbs... excellent picture! Is that from the Elephant Rock ride? And I think now you need a celeste kit.

I don't know if any of you are in the PA area but I thought I'd post a link to The Covered Bridge Metric Century . It's in Lancaster County, PA and from what I've heard it's a good ride. I plan on riding it. I will probably do the 50km since the 100km specifically mentions hills. LOL!
  #168   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 22:18
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi Everyone!!

I live in Texas, but rented a bike in wisconsin and went riding on a trail converted from an old railroad right of way... went through some small towns in wisconsin.. and stopped at a local brewery too. It was fantastic!

I DID take a spill.. lol... I was going slow through a small town, not thinking of my biking, one hand on the handlebars.. and the wheel when into a small pothole. I went over the handlebars.. but luckily nothing hurt but my pride.

Watching teh 2nd stage of the Tour de France as we speak. Wow.. Lance really did GREAT on the first stage. Did you hear that his AVERAGE heart rate over the time trial was 180 bpm!! YIKES.. I'd be calling Karen at that point..and telling her to bring the paddles!!

Mike
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 08:19

BF:

Hello all. I'm still riding as well - trying to average about 25 miles each ride, every other day. This doesn't always work out, of course, because of scheduling conflicts, but I try.

As for the Tour de France, it is very inspiring. I know I'll never be anywhere near the level of those guys, but it's fun to watch and see what they're capable of. And then maybe pretend a bit when on the bike at times.

Hope everyone is getting some good riding in!
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-05, 23:29

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I did my first metric century on Sunday - not an organized ride, just rode 31 miles to church and then back again.

This week my mileage will be down - my son is competing in Jr. Track Nationals at T-town - send some good luck vibes his way please!!
  #171   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 00:20
Circling...

BF:

Everyone enjoying the Tour? This weekend stages were great!!! The ability of Lance continues to amaze me!!! He never even looks like he's breathing hard.

The armbands that a lot of the cyclists were wearing today were a nice tribute to Fabio Casartelli.

I was happy for George Hincapie today. He's one of my favorite cyclists (even if he is married to a podium girl ) It doesn't sound like he did much work up in the front group but it was a good push at the end. And I didn't realize he had never won a Tour de France stage before. YAY for George!

Thanks to Carbs I knew he won before I watched the stage.

#172   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 23:28
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)

Lance is amazing. You occasionally find people sniffily saying they think he's a jerk, but if you ask me, he's got more good karma than most humans. Look at what he's done with LiveStrong - I know people who got a lot of help from that organization.

Plus, his example is incredible. And he's always got nice things to say about teammates, opponents, everyone.

I remember telling my brother on chat last year, when I saw that Lance had won. My brother replied, "That extra testicle was just slowin' him down!"

Go, Lance!
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:41

BF:

Yes, Lance is amazing and anyone who says differently is simply jealous - that's my stand. Also - they've been trying to pin a doping charge on him for years and nothing's ever stuck. It's like they can't believe he actually works that hard to win - it must be something chemical in his system. I think Lance is one of the last true sports-heroes left.

Go Lance! #7 is within sight!
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

I agree Lance is amazing, but before he got cancer he was extremely arrogant and not well liked by most people in the cycling world. Amazing how much affect cancer can have on your life, for good and bad.
  #175   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 16:53
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Cool Hooray

Lance did it! #7!

#176   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 17:16
Circling...

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug
I agree Lance is amazing, but before he got cancer he was extremely arrogant and not well liked by most people in the cycling world. Amazing how much affect cancer can have on your life, for good and bad.

Unfortunately I think he's still not well liked by a lot of the cycling world. I think a lot of the riders themselves have respect for him but there is a lot of "anti-Lance" behind the scenes. All the doping suspicions.... he'll probably be peeing in a cup for the rest of his life.
If you guys haven't read his books I would recommend them. I was surprised that I liked them as much as I did. Both of them were very well written and I learned a lot about professional cycling from reading them. It's been a few years since I read them.... I may have to reread them again now.

But anyway...... HERE'S TO #7!!! THANKS LANCE!!!

PS... the picture was taken by Graham Watson... great cycling photographer. You can check him out at GRAHAM WATSON.
  #177   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 11:23

BF:

What more can be said? He's won arguably the toughest athletic competition in the world 7 times! Seemingly impossible - yet he did it. Congratulations to Lance Armstrong and I wish him good will in his future aspirations.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 10:57

BF:

Is anyone still riding??? While my average per-week has gone down recently, I'm still riding at least several times each week. Anyone have any good stories?

Oh yeah, and it looks like Lance might come back!?
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 22:41
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

I'm biking to work.. but it's only about 3miles. At least it gets my metabolism going! DW and I sometimes head through the woods with our mountain bikes, that's fun.. but not too challenging (she doesn't like it to get too challenging).

It's too darn HOT down here for a long bike ride.. lol. ..but soon.

It stinks that people can't accept that Lance is just that strong!! What an amazing feat!!
  #180   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 13:55

Stats: 182/145.5/140 Male 66 in
BF:11
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbsBeGon
Is anyone still riding??? While my average per-week has gone down recently, I'm still riding at least several times each week. Anyone have any good stories?

Oh yeah, and it looks like Lance might come back!?

I just joined this forum yesterday. I saw a post about it on BikeJournal.com People who don't do Atkins say you can't ride a bike and do low carbs. People like me do Atkins and ride a bike I'm having a good riding year, over 2,500 mi so far. Next weekend I ride in my 3rd MS150. My wife is volunteering at a rest stop as well. Here in Alabama, I have to watch liquids a lot more than I have to watch carbs! Riding is a great way to get out and get air, and get exercise. Our local club rides every Saturday AM, and you should consider joining one if there is one by you. Kudos on your 50 miler!

Bruce