Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-21, 00:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Research suggests a diet rich in dairy fat may lower the risk of heart disease

Quote:
Research suggests a diet rich in dairy fat may lower the risk of heart disease

Study’s lead author says evidence shows ‘type of dietary fat, or the source of dietary fat, is actually more important than the amount’

A higher consumption of dairy fat may be linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, according to new research that suggests choosing full-fat dairy options is no worse for heart health.

The study, from an international team of experts, challenges the view that full-fat dairy products, such as cheese, yoghurt and milk, should be avoided because of their high saturated fat content.

Researchers assessed dairy fat intake in 4,150 Swedish 60-year-olds by measuring the blood concentration of certain fatty acids that are found in dairy foods.

They followed the participants for an average of 16.6 years, recording how many died or had heart attacks, strokes and other cardiovascular conditions.

Cardiovascular disease risk was the lowest for participants who had high levels of the dairy fatty acids. The researchers also found that higher intakes of dairy fat were not associated with an increased risk of death.

Lead author Dr Kathy Trieu from the George Institute for Global Health said fat intake and its link to heart health was more complex than previously thought.

“There’s increasing evidence to show that the type of dietary fat, or the source of dietary fat, is actually more important than the amount of fat,” she said.

“When we’re selecting dairy foods to buy, it’s less important to select the low-fat option,” Trieu said, advising that consumers instead avoid products with added sugar or sodium. “A very clear example of that is: it’s better to select unflavoured yoghurts rather than a low-fat flavoured yoghurt.”

The researchers said using biomarkers as a proxy for dairy fat intake was more reliable than depending on individuals to accurately self-report their eating habits. But the biomarkers could not distinguish what types of dairy products were consumed and whether they had different effects.

Cheese consumption, for example, has been previously linked to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease, while a large US study published in April has linked butter intake to a higher mortality risk.

“Cheeses include vitamin K, and these may be linked with cardioprotective benefits,” Trieu said, adding that more research was needed to understand the link between dairy foods and heart health.

In addition to the analysis in Sweden – where dairy consumption is among the highest globally – the researchers undertook a meta-analysis including 17 other studies, involving nearly 43,000 people in the UK, US and Denmark.

That broader analysis also linked higher dairy fat consumption to a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.

Trieu said the findings were broadly applicable to countries with a western pattern diet, such as Australia. But the researchers also suggested that “extrapolation of the findings to other ethnic groups should be done with caution”, as the vast majority of the 60-year-olds they followed were born in either Sweden or Finland.

A large 2018 study, conducted in 21 mainly low and middle-income countries, similarly found that consumption of dairy products may protect against heart disease and stroke.

One limitation of the Swedish study was that the participants’ blood biomarkers were only measured once, at the beginning of the research, reflecting their dietary fat intake at a specific point in time.

“Usually, we expect diet to not change that much,” Trieu said, acknowledging that dairy consumption habits could have fluctuated during the study period.

The research was published in the journal Plos Medicine.

htpps://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/sep/22/research-suggests-a-diet-rich-in-dairy-fat-may-lower-the-risk-of-heart-disease

Quote:
Biomarkers of dairy fat intake, incident cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality: A cohort study, systematic review, and meta-analysis

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedic...al.pmed.1003763
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-21, 02:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I remember fat-free cheese. Which wasn't funny at all!

Some people have trouble with dairy, and some don't. Yet, I so rarely see this kind of individual approach in mass media.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-21, 08:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is consistent with the recent study (don't have a link at this time) that reported lower heart disease and morbidity in older people with higher cholesterol. Consumption of fats is a complex process that needs to be better understood; yet, it's good to see this published by a major media source. Shining a light on it increases awareness, opens up questions, challenges, and hopefully results in further, well-designed research to enhance learning to replace today's unfounded beliefs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-21, 08:51

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Full fat cheese for me. Even during the low-fat craze, I searched out full fat cheese. I eat it at least 5 days a week (sometimes 7)

I'm 75, a heart doctor says I have a heart/circulatory system of a healthy 50 year old person. And the tech doing the tests was visibly and verbally amazed at how system is.

I don't know about anyone else, but full-fat cheese and heavy whipping cream in my daily coffee/tea works well for me.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-21, 09:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Yes, Bob, coffee is MADE for heavy cream In fact, I read a coffee expert's take on such, which was that if someone likes it black, fine, but for anything but the most expensive coffees, a bit of cream or milk buffers the "bitter notes" in coffee.

I tried black coffee under the misapprehension it was better for me; it wasn't just the taste, it was also the mouth feel. I like the substantive heft that just a splash of cream does for coffee.

Both coffee and dairy are extremely confusing to research, and even adding cream to coffee is somehow a hot topic!

I think everyone should be aware of what food does to their own body. Sometimes, that's an elimination diet, or medical testing, or just stopping the OTC meds to battle digestive issues and listen to the complaint department, instead.

Results like yours, Bob, can't be argued with
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-21, 19:01

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I don't like black coffee. It just doesn't taste good to me.

I put heavy whipping cream and stevia in it. I can do without the stevia, but I can't do without the cream.

I drink green tea with just stevia, but for black tea I add stevia and heavy whipping cream.

All I drink is tea, coffee and water every day, and about 3 4oz glasses of red wine per week.

For cheese, I'm very particular and don't by part-skim cheese. I want all the flavor, and the flavor is in the fat. Since my DW is type A1 intolerant, we buy cheese and butter from Europe and Australia. They use A2 cows.

Since we can't get A2 cream, I'm the only one who puts it in coffee, my DW uses one of those "nut-milks".

And WereBear, I totally agree with you. The elimination diet can help you find out what works with you personally. If you can figure out what works for you and what doesn't, you have the information you need to have better health.

If there was one diet that was perfect for everyone, we'd only need one diet book.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-21, 11:00

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

An informative read. I love me some Greek yogurt! In fact, I eat it every day and worry that I'm addicted--or at least strongly in-habited.

That said, I'm now choosing the low- or no-fat type, partly because it's easy to find, and partly because it reduces overall calorie intake. Yes, I think calories are a problem for me in weight-loss mode. That's why I've also stopped putting cream in my coffee I use butter for whatever I want. I use full-fat cottage cheese, and all other cheeses.

This caught my attention:
Quote:
Trieu said the findings were broadly applicable to countries with a western pattern diet, such as Australia. But the researchers also suggested that “extrapolation of the findings to other ethnic groups should be done with caution”, as the vast majority of the 60-year-olds they followed were born in either Sweden or Finland.
I think this might be a factor in the American dietary picture. However, the guidelines for schoolchildren, for example, which demand low-fat alternatives are terribly misguided.

I refer to an ancient advisory familiar on this site: YMMV
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-21, 15:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
The researchers said using biomarkers as a proxy for dairy fat intake was more reliable than depending on individuals to accurately self-report their eating habits.
I hope this becomes somewhat of a trend in nutrition research of this type. It seems pretty well accepted that self-reporting makes your results way too easy to dismiss.