Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 170/161/155
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question protein bars

does anyone have an opinion of the protein power bars. I know in ATkins the members did not look to favorable on those. I see the counts and they look pretty good if is true.Thanks
Allen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 00:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow re: bars

Hi Allen.
According to some senior members, the atkins bars aren't a good choice. Check the hidden carb calculator under low carb tools. I have been hearing alot about a product called doctor bars that alot of people seem to use. I just posted a question in a different forum as to where they can be purchased. I'll let you know when I find out in case you dont see the post.
I am a huge fan of the bars/shakes and would love to be able to have them while doing the pp plan (first stage).
I am loving the pp book and did my measurements/calculations this evening. Posted everything in my journal and have to say my body fat percentage was way more than i thought it was.
I think this plan may just be the one for me!
How are things going with you?
Talk to you soon.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 07:14
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

HI Jennifer,
Hope you doing well. The bars I was refering to were Protein Power Bars. They were mentioned briefly in his book an dcan be found if one follows the link low carb shopping at the top of the page. I know the Advantage bars by Atkins were listed as no-no's. Wanted to see if any of the memebers had these and their responses. From what I seee the ingredients. Yes, pleae let me know about the DR. Bars. Since we are both in Jersey if there is a store listed near you there will probably be one near me. Thanks.
Did you get the PPLP book or the original. I am still reading the former.
About 6 months ago when Iwas in the gym my trainer measured by body fat at 23.9. When I did it now I came up with 29%.. NOw it does not seem feasible that I could lose that much muscle so quickly. I only had gained 10 pounds since leaving the gym.
Actually when I took the measurements I already lost that gain of 10 pounds. I really don't think I was so accurate in doing the measurements. Bought a skin caliper to check body fat but it was very awkward and I sent it back. Believe the new book mention body fat and how to check> I will let you know.
I am feeling a little less tired. Eating more carbs, but not gaining weight. I"m within 10% of what my weight should be according to Eades (150),
so I am sure the weight will come off slowly.
Actually think that weight would really be low for me so I will see how I feel physically when I approach 155.
Are you taking a multi mineral supplement? I am taking a good one 500 magnesium, 99 potassium and others that are needed. Problem is it has some iron in it. I understand Eades does not look favorable on taking iron, but so far could not find one without the iron. Think I will visit gnc and see what is available in the way of bars and mineral supplements. Also have to inquire about Flax oil which does not sound too pleasant.
Take care, feel well!!!!
Allen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 16:59

BF:
Arrow re: bars, etc...

Hi Allen.
I just happened to have a pure protein bar sitting a few feet away from me..i used to eat them all the time prior to this woe. I input all of the ingredients into the hidden carb calculator and it came in at a whopping carb count close to forty. i find it infuriating that these companies are allowed to post such false results..i cant believe its legal.
I, too have the older version of pp, i am really enjoying it.
wow..i didnt realize you were sooo close to goal..that's awesome..good for you!
I am taking a multi vitamin that i picked up at gnc...check and see if you have a store called "the vitamin shoppe" around you..they are popping up all over..the people are much more knowledgeable and they will beat any advertised price..even if its on the internet (or so i am told).
Glad to hear your not feeling so tired..thats a good sign..i am just starting to get back into the stage where my hunger is subsiding a bit...thank God!
keep up the good work..ill talk to you soon!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 09:45
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jennifer,
The bar you have; is it the actual Protein Power brand of another. According to Eades the bar should have 7 carbs which would be fine for a meal replacement. I don't think that bar is sold in stores. I have a number and I will call them.
LOst ten pounds before I even started Atkins.
Salads and protein. Basically cut out the bad carbs without really following a program. EVen had a piece of bread once in a blue moon. That's the only thing I really miss. We eat out a lot and the first thing that's put down is the bread. It used to be I could eat half the basket, couple of glasses of wine and I was happy. Now we tell the waiter to take the bread away. But getting back to the weight, the next 5-8 pounds will be tough. I haven't been under 160 probably for 10-15 years.
I do have the vitammen shop near me and I will check out a few things that I need.
Your fighting the desire to eat and I am finding I have to force myself to eat. Funny, but I think that this is what havppens after some time on th e woe. Looks like a beautiful day in NJ. Wish I could be on the golf course, but it will come soon.
Talk to you soon. Take care.
Allen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 137/122/115
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Protein Eight and EAS

I love protein bars.. they are now my favorite thing to eat. That being said I don't eat them all the time and never more than one in a day.

My favorites are Protein Eight cookies and cream and Eas lemon cheesecake. Maybe I would lose faster if I didn't eat them but you can't beat the convenience and Im still losing!

Cheers,
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 06:24
Registered Member

BF:

Fattiegirl,
Where are you getting these products from?
Sounds good and would like to look into this.
Thanks
Allen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 16:47

BF:
Arrow re: bars

Allen, you can find either of the products mentioned above at gnc, i have tried them both.

Thats great to hear that you are still losing w/ the bars..i'm with you..i absolutley love them..its not bread i miss..its the bars..they satisfy the sweet tooth and like you said..u cant beat the convenience!

Good luck to us all!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 19:49

BF:
Arrow Re: protein bars

Hi Allen.

I found those Doctor's Carbrite Diet Bars we were speaking of. You can order them at www.universalnutrition.com. I did the hidden carb count on them. While they are not what they state on the label, they seem to be the least of the "evils" (met-rx, pure protein, etc) that i have found thus far. According to my calculations, the hidden carb count for these particular bars is 18.5 as opposed to the "thirty-somethings" of the other bars. I actually just sent an email to the Met-Rx" company regarding this whole hidden carb situation. I have been an avid user of Met-Rx for quite some time and it absolutely infuriates me (to say the least) to think that this company has been lying to me...let alone that it is legal!
Anyway...i just wanted to fill you in, as i said i would. hope all is well with you.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 07:45
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

HI JENNIFER,
The Dr, Carbrite bars you speak of sound like they are too high in carbs for me also. Unless they are loaded with fiber, it would be almost half my dail intake. What about the two things yu mentioned you can get at GNC. How many carba in those. I have yet to use this hidden carb caculator. Is it difficult?
Weight went up a little. Really can't figure out why. Probably really not eating enough. Daughter NO. two is moving to Hoboken. I have been helping
her so getting plenty of exercise the lat few days; up and down stairs. Have a great day! Talk to yo soon
Allen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:

Jennifer,
A bit confused with this hidden carb counter. Maybe you can enlighten me. I tried this putting in the following figures . Cal 50; 1.5 sat fat;
protein 7; carb 3; fiber says less than 1 so I put in .5(is that correct?). Came up with 1.2
equivalent carbs. Is that correct? What does the difference by weight mean? 1.8 Thanks.
Allen