Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:19

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%
Default My intro! previously had a bad title!

I started Atkins almost 5 days ago. It's been VERY hard and I am still dragging..havent felt the energy surge I read about yet. My husband is VERY critical and not super supportive and my mom keeps telling me this is bad for my heart....
I am 28 years old and I have 2 beautiful children, a 3.5 year old son and almost 2 year old daughter. I am a stay at home mom.

I have been heavy my whole life...it was originally because I had an uncontrolled thyroid but beyond age 12 I guess it has been more of a food addiction issue....food for comfort, cant go to bed w/o SUGAR! Sugar first thing in the morning was a must.

I feel sad becuase I miss my sugar SO terribly! I crave Coke like crazy and my husband wanted to get a pizza for dinner... oY!

I am not hugely fond of meat but am learning to make things I like so I dont have to eat so many eggs.... lol

ANYWAY... I have 140 pounds to lose and REALLY need support so I am incredibly greatful to have found this board!

Today is day 5 officially and I am feeling a lot better...still sweaty but it is 90 out! lol I am going to take my kids out to the pool..havent felt well enough to do that in a month! Also lost an inch from waist already..very cool! looking forward to dropping LOTS of weight!

Last edited by Wenzday : Tue, Aug-19-03 at 09:44.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 04:01
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326.5/279/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Welcome Jessica! You have found one of the most supportive and incredible places on the web... although we can't substitute for support at home - we will definately give you everything that we can here on-line. This woe works-- for some its slow and steady and for some the pounds just melt away but it works and it is the healthiest thing that you can do for yourself. Just remember in the beginning to get enough to eat and to make sure you keep drinking the water... I drink at least 3 liters of water per day and very rarely drink anything else-- water is one of the key ingredients here. After induction your food choices get a little easier and if its pizza the house wants I always take the toppings from my 3 year olds pieces let him have the crust and sauce which is all he wants and I get "Pizza" totally legal. I also have "mom" issues with the diet, etc... the best thing that I have found to combat those is letting the weight loss speak for itself, and if you could somehow get her to read the abundance of articles about the Atkins diet that have come out recently or even the book then she will see that this is completely safe for your heart and will be the life saver for you that it has been for me and literally hundreds of others on this board!

Best of luck to you Jessica... just remember to take care of yourself -- you and those wonderful kids deserve it!!!!

Patty
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 05:45
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Sugar in the morning! Sugar in the evening! Sugar at supper time! Won't you be my sugar and love me all the time!?

I know the song! Gotta tell you though that if you follow the program, eat your program foods, drink your water, and take your supplements...AND get up and move! The cravings for sweet stuff will subside!

Wild guess: losing 50 pounds would be better than a Hershey's bar binge. You would feel better! You would look better! Your health would be much improved! And from all of that your life would be better.

I voted to stay the course on this WOE. Hope you choose to come along. A very nice trip with very nice people!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:07
Registered Member

Stats: 282/237/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Welcome to the group! You will find that it gets easier and soon you will not even want to have any sugar.. I have been one of the slow losers... My daughter and husband who do not have near as much as I do to lose are sure having faster results.. It is different for everyone.. My daughter has lost 33 pounds and is almost at her goal weight.. My husband has lost 37 and is about at his too.... and shucks this was all something I started first!
Best wishes to you... just hang in there... together we will all be good losers! :-) You have made the first step... just keep on going! :-)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 07:30

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Welcome to the group, Jessica! You've found the right place. One of the problems w/the Atkins plan (and LC in general) is that they have YEARS of bad publicity and propaganda to overcome. There is a lot of money to be made in grain and sugar consumption and not much in meat and veggies so there is a lot of incentive for 'the powers that be' to convince the public that LC is not healthy.

Finally, we are starting to see some good press and studies are showing that this WOE is healthy and not harmful to your heart as was previously suggested. Personally, my cholesterol readings are GREAT and for the first time as an adult my LDL (bad) cholesterol is in the healthy range and my BP is in the normal range w/o medication.

Good luck!!! I hope your cravings subside soon.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:44

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Welcome Jessica! Please do not worry about the surge of energy just yet. I felt "puny" during the first two weeks and was really questioning this plan. My DH and this forum convinced me to give it a chance and lo and behold everyone was right!!!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am to have decided to stick it out.
I'm fortunate to have such great family support (we all follow atkins) and sorry you are missing that. This forum is so wonderful ...you will find constant support and inspiration here...in good times and in bad.
Mister E's advice about getting up and MOVING has been the best advice I could have taken. I make sure every day that i MOVE in some way or another and it has helped me both mentally and physically in so many ways. When I don't feel like it I think of MisterE behind me kicking my butt! lol
You will never regret going on this plan...there are many rewards ahead for you if you do!

tulips
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 17:00

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

as MisterE says 50lbs down is much more satisfying than a chocolate bar. You are where I was Jan 6 2003. . .I am a SAHM of three. This is the best thing I ever did for myself. Welcome. . .to the only club where the biggest losers win! redawn
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:16

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Welcome Jessica. Good luck to you!