Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:17

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default Probiotics

Can somebody recommend some good probiotics? Every one I research has either fructooligosaccharide, soy, or milk in it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:36

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Check out Udo Erasmus's website. I really like his probiotics.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 16:14
Registered Member

Plan: McCombs Plan
Stats: 150/135/150 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Whole Foods had a selection of a few probiotics that were dairy, soy, gluten free. I don't know the brand name, but they should have a few that meet your needs. The people working back there were very knowledgeable and brought me right to the ones I was looking for. You are right that most have dairy in them.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 17:15

BF:
Progress:

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, all of Udo's probiotics contain traces of milk and soy and I don't live near a Whole Foods.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-10, 17:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Actually, there is a probiotic that I can recommend which you can get over the internet. They mail it inside insulation with a cold freezer pack. It gets to you in about 2 days. Its through this website: www.mccombsplan.com

I was sensitive to gluten, dairy and soy so I made sure to ask if it had any of those in it and they assured me it didn't. I've been taking it for about a month now and no problems. Hope this helps.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-10, 02:23

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

I'm using Bio-Kult. So far it is the best of a range I have tried. It has nothing but bacteria... Not sure if you can get it in the States but you might be able to online.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 13:07

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, but I just see McComb's as a scam and the Bio-Kult has both soy and milk in it. Any other suggestions?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Why do you see McCombs as a scam? I'm in week 10 of his 16 week plan and can testify to the great results I have experienced. I assure you it is not a scam. If you have any questions for me about my personal experience I'd be happy to answer them. Just let me know.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 15:18

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I just checked my bottle of Udo's and it is dairy free.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-10, 17:14

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Align is lactose-free, soy-free and gluten-free. It can be purchased Walgreens (and I presume CVS). It's a bit pricey ($28/28pills) but there are coupons for $5 off.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-10, 01:25

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

Hi Tom
I just checked out Bio-Kult and as I thought it contains strains which break down lactose. I am lactose intolerant and have zero problems with it. I am also on anti-candida and the bio-kult pills are so tiny they must have a negligible amount of soy - where did you see that soy was included? See this link http://www.bio-kult.com/bkfaq_home.php. Hope this helps. But then again if you are allergic rather than intolerant then probably not for you.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-10, 11:05

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil
I just checked my bottle of Udo's and it is dairy free.

http://www.iherb.com/Flora-Udo-s-Ch...b&utm_medium=f3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinePJ
Hi Tom
I just checked out Bio-Kult and as I thought it contains strains which break down lactose. I am lactose intolerant and have zero problems with it. I am also on anti-candida and the bio-kult pills are so tiny they must have a negligible amount of soy - where did you see that soy was included? See this link http://www.bio-kult.com/bkfaq_home.php. Hope this helps. But then again if you are allergic rather than intolerant then probably not for you.

http://www.bio-kult.com/Bio-Kult_Label_v6_HIGHRES.pdf

Last edited by Tom873 : Wed, Sep-08-10 at 11:10.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 16:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 130/130/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Question for ~Sean007!!!!???!!!!

Hello!

Though this may appear strange, this is a quick shout out to ~Sean007...

Are you by chance Secret Agent Man on the BFS Recovery Forum?

If so, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all of your insight and suggestions on tackling BFS on the BFS Recovery Forum! It's such a scary and consuming disorder and though I'm still a work in progress, I'm several months into a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, food allergy diet and am tackling leaky gut as well, all of which continue to improve my symptoms.

My continued research on BFS and diet has brought me to this website where I came across your posts ~Sean007.

If you're one in the same, I am immensely grateful for your posts on that forum as they were an immense comfort to me when I was scared out of my mind with BFS symptoms, and they empowered me to advocate for my health and seek the right treatments and doctors and explore diet as a cause of BFS.

If you're not Secret Agent Man, then ~Sean007 thanks for these posts on this forum as well! Would love to hear an update on your BFS symptoms and if you've been able to keep them at bay through this new dietary lifestyle?! I'm 16 months into BFS and 3 months into a gluten free, dairy free, egg free "leaky gut" diet that I am MORE than happy to continue for all time if it curbs my BFS symptoms, or ideally "cures" them

Gratefully,

JLee
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 17:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

JLee,

You caught me. I'm glad that my posts in the various forums were helpful to you. It was a stranger in a forum that first made me aware of Leaky Gut Syndrome as well and I owe that stranger a dept of gratitude myself. I am just trying to do my part.

It has been several years now and I have been symptom free of BFS for a long time now. I am convinced that it was related to LGS. I am much more conscious and aware of what I eat now and I have been able to remain symptom free because of that. I think if I had gone back to my old diet and ways I would have gotten myself back into trouble. Hang in there and feel free to PM me on the other forums. i don't come to this one much at all anymore.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 06:19

Plan: SCD Diet
Stats: 223/199/180 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

I tried all kinds of different probiotics, but the 2 probiotics that work best for me are:

Store-bought: Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic

Home-made: Home made yogurt using the yogurt starter - Yogourmet Casei Bifidus Acidophilus Probiotic Yogurt Starter