Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 10:17
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Bruce you are too funny!! I loved it when you slid beside the trainers wearing a *trainer* shirt.
I just wanted to say congrats on a great job by both you and your brother. Congrats on winning the bet and does your singing gropup have a CD out yet? You guys have a great sound I would love to hear more of.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/172.8/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Congrats Dave and Bruce ! You guys have both accomplished so much. I have to say that you were part of the reason that I started Atkins (only been a week), I had been watching your progress on the show, and found it to be very motivating. Being a misplaced Maritimer(in Ottawa) I found it refreshing to see the East Coasters, and tuned in every week to check your progress. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
  #168   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 10:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 187/149/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 81%

So Bruce....

Did you buy a ring with all that extra dough you've won?? (nudge nudge)..
You guys did amazing. Very proud and thank you once again for taking us on your journey- over the last 6 months or so..

Laurie
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 11:55

Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Twinmomb, I couldn't reply to your email.. It was blocked by some spam filter

Ok.. here's my update.

If you do the math of our weights during the weigh in, and the group weight in, you will notice a difference. Each person drank and ate about 4 pounds worth of food and water between the weigh ins.. hehe.

The show ended, and Byron and I felt the need to have a christmas break. I just want everyone to know, you should never have a christmas break. I'd say, I gained about 10 pounds back over christmas.

Then, I went to the Dominican. I gained about 10 more there. So yes.. I was up 20 pounds.

Since then, I've lost most of it, and am close to my old weight again. I honestly take more heat now about the diet than ever. I am commited now once again... and drumroll.... I've started to eat salads on a regular basis.

That being said. Byron is doing well again too. He and I both learned our lessons over the break, and know what needs to be done...

Dave is our motivation as well. That guy is our hero.

As for getting married to Jeannine. Not yet. We did buy a new house though, so anything can happen. I'll let you know
  #170   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 12:04

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You guys all did so great, you should be really proud.

I've had the taking a break or having a cheat day experience with Atkins last summer (took 1 spoonful of Nutella and that was it, I was off the wagon until this Jan 3rd). No more 'breaks' or 'cheats' for me...it's too hard to get back on, so I know exactly where you are coming from. But at least you are back and losing again...that is what counts, plus you caught it in time!!

Salads on a regular basis means you are eating more veggies than probably most people in north america!!! Congratulations, that is a big accomplishment. Have you found a way to enjoy them, or do you tolerate them? I laughed when you were talking about the white parts of the romaine lettuce, because that is my biggest thing against romaine lettuce, I hate the white 'spine'!
  #171   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 12:08
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
I laughed when you were talking about the white parts of the romaine lettuce, because that is my biggest thing against romaine lettuce, I hate the white 'spine'!

Ick!! I hate the spine of any lettuce and discard them when making my salads even with boston lettuce. It is a little extra work but at least I do not have to eat that part.
  #172   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 12:46

Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

haha, yeah. I really, really, really took a disliking the "white part at first". Now, I just tolerate it.

Honestly, I think I am over the caesar salad problem. The next hard part will be eating "real" vegetables. One day at a time though.

I think the hardest part for me will be craving them. I honestly don't know if I ever will. Right now they are in the same catagory as taking pills. I don't really enjoy it, but I know I have to do it. It'll take time I guess.

I want to mention one thing that came up on yesterdays show. They really took what I said about Dave out of context. I was commenting on the competition between dave and Reg on the track. Reg was mad about losing to Dave in the pool, so I was defending Dave, and how he was a lot bigger than Reg. They made it look like I was ripping him. It wasn't the case.

DAVE, Don't hate me!!! I didn't rip you.. hehe
  #173   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 13:50

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 439/270/220 Male 66"
BF:YES
Progress: 77%

Bruce if you get the letter in the green envelope saying cash enclosed don't open it. If anyone knows how things are twisted in the program, we do. I know that you have my back, like I have yours. I was not offended or bothered. I did not train for 6 months to run around a track and was not upset when Reg blew past me like I was standing still. I was a little disappointed that I was in such better shape yet only took off 5 sec. That will teach me to practice something or don,t complain when you do not achieve it. I guess I paced myself really badly. In an earlier episode Reg commented on atkins boys not having any energy. He can run full out for 1:17 sec but when it came to a ten minute swim a guy with 100 lbs on him was able to outlast him. Hmmm! maybe Atkins boys have more energy than he thinks.

By the way I love the white part of the lettuce.
  #174   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 14:46

BF:

OMG Dave, I just looked at your stats and I am almost crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the rate you are going, you are going to blow right past me, and I started at 292!!!!

I am SO happy for you, and you really deserve it, you work so hard at it every pound is deserved. I guess the initial weight loss of "mostly water" hasn't slowed down like everyone said it would, eh???

Last edited by brpssm : Mon, Apr-11-05 at 15:01.
  #175   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 14:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJax
haha, yeah. I really, really, really took a disliking the "white part at first". Now, I just tolerate it.

Well, you're doing better than me, then, 'cause I have a hard problem eating romaine lettuce if it isn't the romaine hearts kind, otherwise, I need to eat boston or something without the 'spine', just the word makes me cringe, lettuce shouldn't have spines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJax
Honestly, I think I am over the caesar salad problem. The next hard part will be eating "real" vegetables. One day at a time though.

I think the hardest part for me will be craving them. I honestly don't know if I ever will. Right now they are in the same catagory as taking pills. I don't really enjoy it, but I know I have to do it. It'll take time I guess.

You will crave them eventually. I know I crave steamed broccoli which is something I would have never thought I would even like, and also I crave spinach salads quite often. I eat a lot of red and green peppers which I can't do without. It takes time, but you'll get there. I know that I always laugh when people tell me how unhealthy Atkins is, I eat more veggies on Atkins than I ever have in my life, and I enjoy them much more!

Last edited by brpssm : Mon, Apr-11-05 at 15:00.
  #176   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 16:51

Stats: 188/172.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

For what it's worth: I love the white romaine spine, but only in moderation, and when combined with a good proportion of nice dark green parts. And Nutella has been a downfall more than once, therefore it's banned from the house! And running sprints is not my idea of a sustainable overall fitness program...

And lastly, I have eliminated all Christmas "breaks", they are too dangerous. One or two days off-program doesn't seem to do much permanent damage, but two weeks off-program is a disaster for me.

Dave, from one Calgarian to another, I was very proud of you....you did a fabulous job...all the participants did!
  #177   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: ER4YT and Atkins
Stats: 172/146/139 Female 5'2"
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 79%
Default Congratulations Dave

Hi Dave:

About a million years ago, you and Jeannie coached my son in T-Ball!!!That was the year the kids were photographed for the developer's advertising. All I can say right now is congratulations on your choice of a healthy lifestyle. You are doing an amazing job!!!!

JeanB "formerly of Harvest Hills."
  #178   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 07:01
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm

You will crave them eventually.

Ditto on that. I *never* thought after the horrible way I used to eat that I would crave vegetables but I do.
  #179   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 07:24
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

I'm a little pokey in my post.....but better late than never!

Loved the final episode......fabulous to see how your hard work and determination paid off! I really enjoyed this season and as I said to Dave in his journal.....I hope to see you all on "Keeping It Off".

Bruce.....great stats!! Thanks for the laughs too.....you and Byron were awesome.

I am in awe of Dave's "today" stats....goal is within sight!

Thanks everyone.....I really enjoyed watching you and your journey....I'm going to miss seeing you every week!
  #180   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-05, 08:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiekat
Thanks everyone.....I really enjoyed watching you and your journey....I'm going to miss seeing you every week!

Thanks for sharing it with all of us, I will also miss 'seeing' you guys each week.