Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/225/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hey guys. I´m actually down here in the Dominican. I missed this weeks show. I need to know, how bad did they make the Reg thing look?

I really hope they showed the truth, and less the drama.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 21:06
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hiya Bruce~

Vacationing? Hope you are having a good one.

The Reg thing.....well, they showed you and Byron riding him about taking steroids during the weigh in.....everyone was laughing including him. Then to commercial and when they came back they showed the highlites for next weeks show.....and Reg was in those....so I didn't think anything had happened. After that though when they were running the credits, they had the bits with you and Byron....saying Reg had left....each of you saying that you thought that he was taking something.....in that part I didn't hear the word steroid.....I think Byron said substance. The way it was played out made me think that he was pissed at the two of you and the two of you thought he had a problem....problem being that he was taking something to aid in his weight loss. Having said that....I had seen the next weeks previews before that so I didn't think he was gone for good. But the way you guys were talking made me wonder if there was something going on with him....therefore, hoping he would be ok.

That was my take....but again it was at the very end....maybe someone else has a take on it?
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 09:16

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Bruce,

Hope you are enjoying the weather, here in Montreal we got a dumping of snow yesterday and traffic has been a mess -- so I envy you!

I had the same perception as Josie did about the Big Reg thing. After his weigh-in, it just looked like you guys were joking around with him and he was laughing and stuff, then when the credits were rolling they showed clips of you and Byron saying that 13lbs a week was a lot of weight to lose and he hoped that Reg wasn't taking anything, then they showed you saying that Reg had emailed you and told you that he was working out like crazy but at the weigh-in he said he only worked out 3 times that week, and you were like "what's the truth, then?"

It didn't sound that bad, but when I watched it I thought it looked like they made it look worse than it was.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 15:47
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hiya Cylinder.....errr, maybe Mr. Box You are too funny. Today's show was pretty good....my fave part was the measurements and the weigh in. I have to say this....not knowing how much the footage we see is edited....and if it is shown as it is shot....or is some early stuff shown after some older stuff.....hard to say....but today's show, when you were being measured/weighed....I could sure see the different shape that your face has taken on. Awesome results....you look fabulous.....congrats on another great weigh in.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 10:17

BF:

Thanks

Back from my trip now. Man... I had a rough week. back on track though.

Ok, so to sum up what happened. I'm not sure if it was clear. We didn't see what Reg was doing. We only saw him once every two weeks, and we only knew what he told us.

All we knew, was he was eating Wendy's, and working out once every couple of days.

Reg, Byron, and I have since become a little closer since the taping of this show, and we've learned the truths. We've gotten over all this stuff.

Reg was off work, and working out on a daily basis. He told me he didn't leave the gym until he burned at least 1000 calories on the treadmill. Some days he went for 2000 calories.

That makes sense. Just eating out didn't. That's why we accused him of something. Between the workouts, and lack of water that everyone stopped drinking, it's possible to lose 13 pounds in 2 weeks.

Hehe, they cut a lot out though, trust me. Unless is comes out next week
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 10:39

Plan: T.K.D.
Stats: 235/183/170 Male 5'9.5" inches
BF:33%/17%/10%
Progress: 80%

Hey Bruce, my wife and I really enjoy the show. We always say that you and your bro are the two most dedicated and focused guys there.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules or not, but I can host a download of last week's show for a few hours.. that way the non-Canadians or people who missed it can check it out. It's a 150 meg file, I'll have it setup in an hour.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 10:47

BF:

I don't think It's against the rules... I think that's a great idea. Some people may not have a clue what's going on though

Honestly though, I am dissapointed in the lack of coverage they are showing about the diet. I never did this to "self promote" myself. I just wanted the set the facts strait about the myths of low carb. Nobody really knew what they were doing, and they seem to be focusing on those people. I really think it's just a matter of what's good for TV. Maybe the results will make people ask some questions.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:07

BF:

Hey Bruce. The footage of Byron and yourself is my favourite part of the show, it is always the most interesting and definately the funniest, I was dissappointed this week that you both were only shown during the weigh-ins and measurements (still lol about your comments when they were measuring you!).

Do you keep in touch with Dave? I'm hoping that he is doing well on low carb, judging by next weeks preview footage of him in a health food store being told that staying in ketosis for 3.5 months is dangerous has me concerned about him, again. Honestly, he seems like such an amazing person but I feel he's looking for help and information and getting pulled in so many different ways...I just hope he continues to do well, I really want to see him succeed, he's definately a favourite on the show.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:23

BF:

Yeah, Dave has been really doing well. When I first met him, he was planning to due something he called, "Super Atkins". He was going to cut out carbs, yet eat rice. I was really confused, and told him to keep in touch.

After he did some research, he realized what he was doing. Then he started going in to Ketosis. Byron and I mentioned that he should really only stay in ketosis the first two weeks.

When we went to Calgary, I found out he wasn't supplementing at all. That's how he came to the realization that he needed to see a doctor. The doctor pretty much attacked him, as you saw on the show.

I think at this point, he is supplementing, and relaxing on the strictness. He still won't touch low carb products, which is great. (I don't think I could do the diet without the wraps myself.)

He eats a LOT of veggies, which is where he gets most of his "good carbs". Don't worry about Dave, he knows what he is doing now. I expect him to be skinny by this time next year.

Dave if you read this, you need to read the book still! hehe.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:41
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJax
Dave if you read this, you need to read the book still! hehe.

If he reads this I hope he posts here and often. I can really relate to Dave. I have been enjoying watching him, Reg, you, Byron, Lindsay and Wendy losing weight. Wendy is doing really well despite giving a little tmi regarding her anniversary and her wedding suit on the last show. That bit of info I could have done without. The part about meeting her daughter made *me* cry.

Watching the others is really ticking me off for some reason. It seems like
most of them are blathering on about thier careers when this is supposed to be a diet and exercise show (Hello? People?). Now mind you I don't mind them when they are shown exercising, discussing exercising or discussing thier diet but the career(Jacyln and Zoe)/relationship stuff(ie.Trina) needs to go. I could care less if Trina's husband is screwing around on her. She needs to wake up, grow some self esteem and leave the guy for good if he is behaving like that. A lot of the crap I fast forward through because I tape the show and then watch it. I could do without ever seeing Trina and her husband again.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:44

Plan: T.K.D.
Stats: 235/183/170 Male 5'9.5" inches
BF:33%/17%/10%
Progress: 80%

For a few limited hours, you can download an AVI file of last week's Taking It Off:

http://64.235.250.136/avi/TakingItOff-week12.avi

Format: AVI
Ratio: 320 x 200
Size: 150 MB
(weird size, but I watch TV on my iPAQ while I do cardio and this is the compressed version)

I hope I captured your favorite part

Quote:
Honestly though, I am dissapointed in the lack of coverage they are showing about the diet. I never did this to "self promote" myself. I just wanted the set the facts strait about the myths of low carb. Nobody really knew what they were doing, and they seem to be focusing on those people. I really think it's just a matter of what's good for TV. Maybe the results will make people ask some questions.

I totally agree. I'd rather watch half the number of people and see twice the amount of coverage on each one. Too much family drama stuff for me as well, but I'm probably not the target demographic of Lifetime TV.

At least the Atkins rep was able to put a positive spin on it, but I don't think they explained her educational and medical credentials enough. And then matching her up on the same show with a PhD, MD, head of Canada Obesity, etc, with him saying Atkins is detrimental was an obvious "taking sides" by the producers... sure, more interesting TV but not medically unbiased.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:45
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJax
When we went to Calgary, I found out he wasn't supplementing at all. That's how he came to the realization that he needed to see a doctor. The doctor pretty much attacked him, as you saw on the show.

Yep. I didn't like what that doctor had to say. Obviously the man does not have an open mind regarding different diets and people. Not everything works the same for everyone but I guess because the doctor has a medical degree then he is right and anyone who tries to show him differently is wrong.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 11:55

BF:

I hope... HOPE... they show the diabetes person I spoke to. She accused me of things and I called her on them. She told me that ketosis was ketoacidosis, and that there is no way to reach ketosis without eating less than 1000 caloris.

She also said this zinger... "Doctors don't know anything about nutrition. Nutrition isn't even mentioned during their degree program".

My doctor is great. He confessed that he is not specialized in the field, and that all he cares about is my numbers. My numbers come up great, so he's behind me.

Edit: hehe, yeah. That was a funny part. Now I get to hear from my girlfriend's grandmother again, about how I say "Ass" too much on TV.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 12:02

BF:

I'm so happy Dave is continuing to do well...he really seems like such a nice, genuine person, and he really warms my heart. His family seems great as well -- they seem like people you'd want to be around....
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 12:03

BF:

Yeah, they really are.

Don't let Dave fool you though, that guy can cut up Byron with the best of them! I'll ask him to join us here. Not sure if he can from work or not.