Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 21:26

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default The healing power of HDL

Of course, we already know this....

Quote:
Al Sears, MD
12794 Forest Hill Blvd., Suite 16
Wellington, FL 33414 January 7, 2007
Dear Teresa,

Modern medicine still can’t get it right...

I just read an article in the latest issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) and came across a finding that jumped out at me...

JAMA reported that those with HDL levels below 35 had an eight-fold higher incidence of cardiovascular disease than those with more than 65mg/dl of HDL. And not only that, but each 1mg/dl increase in HDL cholesterol resulted in a 6% lower risk of death from heart attack!1

Simply put, if your HDL level is low, you’re at much greater risk for heart disease. But the good news is, you can easily improve your HDL levels and disease-proof your heart, using simple, inexpensive, all-natural strategies…without the nasty side effects of drugs.

After reading the entire article, JAMA did not want to say conclusively that HDL will benefit your heart health, regardless of your cholesterol level, citing that more studies need to be done.

…Truth is, you don’t need fifty more years worth of studies to confirm what I’ve known all along-- increasing HDL cholesterol works to prevent heart disease.

It really doesn’t matter what your total cholesterol level is. It could be as high as 300, but as long as your HDL levels are high your risk of getting heart disease is virtually non-existent. The Framingham heart study proves this, showing that increasing HDL can reduce coronary disease independent of LDL cholesterol.2

I’ve also found this to be true in helping hundreds of my own patients. In fact, one of my patients Roy, saw astounding success because we worked on increasing his HDL. Roy had suffered a heart attack and came to me because he had terrible pain in his back and legs and always felt weak and tired. He felt like he was 80 and thought it was because of the heart attack.

I worked to wean him off the statin drugs his doctor prescribed, and counseled him on diet and exercise. Within a few days of stopping the drugs Roy’s pain lessened and his energy levels started to rise.

Within months of committing to both interval and strength training, Roy went from 235 pounds and 30% body fat to 185 pounds with 16% body fat—and his HDL soared from 40mg/dl to 55mg/dl. His initial stress test after the heart attack showed significant damage to his heart…now his latest stress test showed very minimal damage, to the point where it was difficult to see any evidence that Roy had ever had a heart attack.

That’s the healing power of HDL.

Here are a few easy ways you can improve your HDL cholesterol and have a healthy, disease-free heart:

Exercise – Intense, interval training like I describe in my PACE® program is the most effective way to increase your HDL cholesterol levels.
Diet – stay away from processed foods and junk foods…especially refined sugars. Instead eat lean proteins and unprocessed carbs, such as fruits and vegetables.
Moderate alcohol consumption –1-2 drinks a day are proven to increase HDL by 12% (this was confirmed in the latest issue of JAMA).1
Supplements – Taking 50mg of Niacin (vitamin B3) daily improves your HDL. Omega-3s increase good cholesterol as well. You can find rich sources of omega-3s in olive oil, fish, flaxseed oil, and in one of the newest supplements I’m excited about…Sacha Inchi oil.
If you’d like to learn more about protecting your heart, check out The Doctor’s Heart Cure.

To Your Good Health,

Al Sears, MD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Singh I, et al, "High-Density Lipoprotein as a Therapeutic Target—A Systematic Review," Journal of the American Medical Association, 298 (2007): 787, 790, 795.
2 Castelli WP. Cholesterol and lipids in the risk of coronary artery disease—the Framingham Heart Study. Canadian Journal of Cardiology.1998 July; 4 Suppl A:5 A-10A
Forward this to a friend, click here.
Before you hit reply to send us a question or request, please visit here:

http://www.alsearsmd.com/content/index.php?id=113

To learn more about Primal Force products, call (866) 895-8555 or visit:

http://www.primalforce.net/catalog/

If you want to end your subscription or you need to change your e-mail address, please follow the instructions below. Your changes will be effective immediately. However, if you do not follow the instructions below and simply hit reply instead, we may not receive your request and cannot assure you that it will be completed.

Manage your subscription:

To unsubscribe from this newsletter, click here.

To manage your subscription by mail or for any other subscription issues, write us at:

Primal Force, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
12794 W. Forest Hill Blvd, Ste 16
Wellington, FL 33414 USA

So, low HDL and high Tg. LDL, which they're making such a fuss about doesn't seem to be the main problem...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 08:33

Plan: Schwarzbein/Bernstein
Stats: 355/240/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
Exercise – Intense, interval training like I describe in my PACE® program is the most effective way to increase your HDL cholesterol levels.
Diet – stay away from processed foods and junk foods…especially refined sugars. Instead eat lean proteins and unprocessed carbs, such as fruits and vegetables.
Moderate alcohol consumption –1-2 drinks a day are proven to increase HDL by 12% (this was confirmed in the latest issue of JAMA).1
Supplements – Taking 50mg of Niacin (vitamin B3) daily improves your HDL. Omega-3s increase good cholesterol as well. You can find rich sources of omega-3s in olive oil, fish, flaxseed oil, and in one of the newest supplements I’m excited about…Sacha Inchi oil.

Got it mostly right, but still has to be politically correct by not mentioning that saturated fat raises HDL.

Seems you'd be better off eating fatty protein instead of lean protein. He makes the point that HDL is what matters, not other cholesterol. Even if sat fat raises LDL, the effect of raising HDL is beneficial overall.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 12:14

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Got it mostly right, but still has to be politically correct by not mentioning that saturated fat raises HDL

Exactly!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 285/223/180 Male 71 in.
BF:
Progress: 59%

As Dr. Malcom Kendrick has noted, this new focus on HDL could be yet another example of doctors mistaking correlation for causation.

When carbohydrates are eaten and insulin rises, the liver begins to manufacture triglycerides from glucose. These triglycerides are packaged into VLDL particles for circulation throughout the body. The apolipoproteins that coat VLDL particles are taken from HDL particles. So the more VLDL is created, the more HDL is destroyed. This VLDL eventually shrinks down to the small, dense LDL particles that are thought to be especially atherogenic.

By contrast, the chylomicrons created in the gut to package dietary fat are tagged with a different type of apolipoprotein. Their synthesis doesn't require in the breakdown of HDL. Chylomicrons are absorbed quickly by the body, and don't stick around to form plaques.

A higher proportion of fat in the diet (usually) means a lower proportion of carbohydrate. With less glucose in circulation, the liver synthesizes less VLDL, and there's less small LDL hanging around. Higher HDL is just an indicator of this process.