Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%
Default Help with my Jello Guilt

Hello Everybody,
Not much to say, except that I want to vent and maybe be told that not all is lost.
Tonight, day 17 since I have started and followed very strictly, no cheating or strong desire to cheat, day 17 since I started Induction phase of the Atkins program. I have and intend to stay on Induction for awhile. Today, I had Jello and now I have some major guilt feelings. I know that regular Jello brand SF Jello is not good because of it's sweetner. I went out and found that Jolly Rancher brand SF jello, but then reread the section of this website on Sugar alcohols and that scared me. (Remember I am trying to strictly follow Induction and don't want to screw up) So, I went back out to the store and got Knotts unflavored Jello, KoolAid, and Splenda. Fixed that up according to the directions I found posted here. I then whipped up some heavy whipping cream with some splenda and vanilla. Both the jello and the whipping cream were a first for me since starting Induction. Since starting I have had no sweets what so ever.

Now that I have had it I am worried that I have done some sort of harm to my progress. I know it sounds silly but I really didn't even crave it so much I just wanted to prove that I could have jello if I wanted. (that and to maybe eat something other than meat) Plus with everyone here talking about it I felt that I was being left out. I tried to make the "best" for me jello I could. I have stayed in my carb count for the day, less than 20. I counted the carbs in the Splenda, in the Cream. Jello it self is ok, same with the Koolaid(unsweetend) SO why the guilt, I worry that what people say here is true for me, that the even the taste of a sweet will tell my body to release insulan. So far I feel the same, no rushes, no funny feelings. What might I feel, anything?? I was never a super sweet sort of guy. (although last week I wanted ice cream, but it was also very very hot here in Kansas) Will Keto sticks tell me anything? I have had ok keto sticks all along, with only three or four of them (out of at least 50 tests) coming up negative (second week), but I think that the "sample" was too "deluted" to come up with that nice pink color that we love to see. (Never have seen "purple" but try to drink ALOT of water so I'm not surprised)

So I guess that I want people to confirm with/ comfort me that the jello I made is ok, and that it is most probabably not going to effect my progress. I can be strong and stick with this if I see progress. ( I know it is shallow of me, I'm working on that) I know that it, the weight loss might slow down, but if I at least see some sort of downward trend (and if not downward at least steady) I can and will stick with this, therefore that is why I got so worried about this stupid jello causing a stall. (It was ok jello, kind of nice to have something as a little mid -evening treat sitting on the couch with my girlfriend)

Thanks for listening and any advice offered is welcomed

Kansas5
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 04:16

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Only you can tell whether or not sweets effect you. Every bodies chemistry is different and how yours reacts to sweets only you will know. If you start to stall and not make any progress on losing weight then I would say that yes...in fact the "sweets" are probably the cause of that stall.

You mentioned " to maybe eat something other than meat". What exactly have you been eating? Have you not been eating salads? Veggies? Seafood?

Atkin's is NOT an all meat diet. It consists of salads, veggies, eggs, cheese, and the likes.

If you have not read the book, then I highly recommend you read it because you are missing out on the most fabulous of food choices.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%
Default Reply to AgonyCat

Well, I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens because of my jello incident. (ie, actually having some jello) The first keto sticks of the day turned up a heathy shade of pink, would that mean that the jello didn't effect me, or do I have to experiment with eating the jello and then wait for the stall? If that is the case I simply don't have the paitence for that. Jello is not worth it to me. (But if the keto sticks stay pink does that mean I can continue with having jello sometimes???)

Yes, I am aware that the Atkins program is NOT an all meat program. I have been eating my veggies, salads, eggs and cheese. Why not seafood??? Because I live in Kansas and people out here think seafood is Long Johns Silvers. (plus I grew up here in Kansas and never developed I taste for it, I have lived,worked and traveled to both coasts quite a bit, but still haven't gotten a taste for it.) Yes, I have read DANDR, some chapters numerous times and I refer to it often, even taking it with me to work. We must admit however that with the fat and protien requirements the Atkins program does require a fair amount of Animal protein, ie Meat. Even being from Kansas, the "Eat Beef" state, I used to eat alot of beans/ legumes for protein (seasoned of course with meat) (You know you are from Kansas when the majority of your highschool classmates drive trucks, big trucks, that sport the ever popular "Eat Beef" front plates. And come harvest time the farm kids are "excused" from classes to help on the farm)

In reading this forum, I see alot of people very passionate and eager to help others through this change in our collective lifestyles. I have gathered alot of very useful information from and count on this website to help me through this WOE. In reading the DANDR there are sometimes gaps that develop between the book and maybe some of the more recent findings or at least anecdotal evidence that people are gathering. The moment a book is published it becomes out of date. The great thing about the internet is that our out of date info is not quite so out of date since we can update it the moment we find out more about something. So using the book, DANDR, hand in hand with the Atkins center website updates and this website hopefully we all can find out together the absolute best way to do this.

Once again Thanks everyone, and any advice is welcomed.

Kansas5
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 21:43

Stats: 182/172/155
BF:
Progress: 37%

Kansas,

Last year I went on the Atkins diet for about a month. During that time I would make some SF Jello Gelatin. Let it congeal. Then I would take 2 1/2 pint cartons of heavy cream 1/2 cup of nutra sweet and another package of SF Jello and whip that all up together. I then spooned that all over the congeal gelatin. It was heavenly!! Something like 500 calories a serving 50-60 fat grams......... I "THOUGHT" it was carb free, since the cream said 0 carbs and the Jello said 0 carbs. I had no idea that there was actually carbs in both.

But I still lost 17 lbs. I ate 3 of those deserts in one week. Not 3 servings but the entire thing 3 times. STill I lost weight.

I am not suggesting that you do that, I am telling you this so you will hopefully not get discouraged.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 10:49
Registered Member

Stats: 303/303/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi

Kansas, I think you should not feel guilty for trying the jello. 1 you did make the best type you could have. 2. you counted the carbs. Part of this plan is learning that if we eat something we should not that we not give up. We just keep trying. I have read through alot of journals on this site and alot of people have eaten the regular sugar free jello and still lost. It is not like you ate a half gallon of chocolate ice cream. I do understand how you feel. I feel consumed with every bite that goes into my mouth. I read one plan on another website that had a menu for the entire induction phase and it included a sweet snack similar to the jello and whipped cream. This plan has to be something you can live with. Some people do have a high intolerance to anything sweet fake or not. However, the only way to find out is to wait till the next time you weigh, and then decide from there. I personally do not use the sticks and I only weigh once a week. You need to do what is best for you and not feel guilty about a little jello.

Hope that helps

TTFN
Babybear
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:35

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Heck no. I wouldn't feel guilty either! =) Hehe I don't. I am an avid SF jello eater now. I have it when I think to make it about 4 times a week or more. The JELL-O brand. It doesn't stall me. The aspartame is known to stall "some" people. If it stalls your weight then I'd lay off of it. If it doesn't.. bon appetite! I just wouldn't have it everyday.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 07:44
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Ditto!

I make the Jello SF all the time...I boil the water, pour it into a blender with the jello mix, add the cold water (or somethings diet sprite or 7-up as the liquid) and throw in a half a block of cream cheese. Whip that all up and let firm and chill. It's great...more like a light and creamy parfait than the regular wiggly stuff.

Jello never stalled me and on those craving nights I'd be lost without it!

#8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 10:34

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

ooooh, I hadn't thought about the cream cheese!! Sounds excellent!

I have also been eating SF Jello since the beginning (now into the 8th month). I have lost 55 lbs so I guess I am doing it right!

What I also do when it is so hot outside is take my jello cups and freeze em - kind of like a SF Jello-cicle. Tastes great and kills any sweet cravings I ever think of having!