Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/184/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry PEOPLE SUCK!!!!!(I mean this)

I am a 14 year old girl who has been overweight since I was born!
Today was my last day of eighth grade and of course people were picking on something about my weight or my dark neck. You see, I have had a dark neck and dark skin patches on my body for a long time, and I'm sick of it! My mom just says to wash my neck, but of course that doesn't work! I don't even know if I have PCOS or AN because she won't take me to the doctor! Like some of my friends call me bear, and I know they're joking, but it really hurts! I haven't even really had a boy remotely interested in me! And if I keep looking the way I do a boy prbably never will. It's bad when you have to be friends with yourself.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 17:36

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I am really sorry your feeling so down. I too had PCOS when I was young but wasnt diagnosed, and its hard to deal with the changes in your body nevermind adding extra problems. the great thing about low carb diets is that lots of times you'll notice the PCOS symptoms going away. Even the dreaded dark patches. Good luck, stick to this woe and by next school year I am sure you'll be in much better shape, and the boys will be linning up!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 17:49

Plan: VLC
Stats: 321/299/280 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Why won't you mom take you to the doctor?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/184/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

She said that it won't help and it's wasting money, and my neck is just dirty and i need to wash it. She doesn't know how much it effects me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 20:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 12%

hi hunnie ,

first congradulations on graduating Middle schoool....You are now a High schooler! I am really sorry to hear what you are going through . I am 17 and am in high school, and I know for a fact that in high school people don't tease each other as much as in middle school But I know what people teaseing feels like and it sucks. I have PCOS and i am doing much better now .....i think you should talk to your mom , and see what she says . I know there really isn't just one test to telll a person if they have pcos ..... i had many tests and they came to the conclusion i had pcos......

if you ever want to talk , I am a great listener , and can relate in some ways! visit my journal , or IM me truebluesfan88.

happy end of the school year
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 22:47

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big+Pretty
I am a 14 year old girl who has been overweight since I was born!
Today was my last day of eighth grade and of course people were picking on something about my weight or my dark neck. You see, I have had a dark neck and dark skin patches on my body for a long time, and I'm sick of it! My mom just says to wash my neck, but of course that doesn't work! I don't even know if I have PCOS or AN because she won't take me to the doctor! Like some of my friends call me bear, and I know they're joking, but it really hurts! I haven't even really had a boy remotely interested in me! And if I keep looking the way I do a boy prbably never will. It's bad when you have to be friends with yourself.

Sweetie, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. I've often wondered what it's like for y'all to be a teenager in such a body-conscious time, and I was 14 only 11 years ago!

Don't worry about what the boys think. Most boys your age aren't worth the time right now. They have other things on their minds. And one day you WILL find somebody, someone right for you. For now, try and concentrate on yourself. These years are so important for you to get to know yourself. Forget about the bullsh*t magazine images and what others say. High school will be tough at first, but you'll find new people, new situations and new interests to take your mind away from what the negative people think. Trust me, with a little confidence, you'll have a GREAT time.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 11:00
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Your mom is ignorant for feeling this way about something that affects you so seriously....nothing that causes you distress is a waste of money....and saying that your neck is dirty is just rediculous. One thing i do want to remind you before you start atkins...which i think is what i read on your profile...is that you either check out the book or the website for the phases and do induction correctly...or else it wont work right. Goodluck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-26-05, 12:34
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

Do you go to the doctor for other things, when you're ill or for checkups? If so, I'd suggest you speak to them about it next time you are there for something else if you can't get your mom to take you for this specifically.

I did a search on medline plus online for "dark neck" and darker pigmentation on the neck can be a result or symptom of any number of things - some serious, and others not serious. If I were you, I'd perform some searches and show your mom the results.

You may want to say something to your mom - in a non-confrontational manner, to the effect of "Washing my neck doesnt work, if you would like to try, I'd be more than happy to let you." Or ask her to watch you wash your skin so that you can show her that it is part of your skin and not dirt. It shouldnt take proof for your mother to believe you, but I find it sad that she refuses to get you medical help because of the cost.