Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 21:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Now if you wanted a baseline test to show what your thyroid is doing on its own, you really have to go without T4 for at least a week or two. That stuff has a half life of 8 days.

Nancy, if you want an accurate baseline you'd have to go for 6 weeks, not a few weeks. You want to get at least 5-7 half lives out of your system.

FYI, you don't want to take ANY thyroid hormone 8 hours before you test, FT4 or FT3, they will skew your results.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/213/140 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hey Everyone... Just wanted to put my 2 cents in about Synthroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about 18 months ago. I went to my doctor thinking I was losing my mind. I couldn't sleep ,then couldn't get enough sleep,my stomach felt like it was rotting out of me but I would wake up absolutely ravenous and a bunch of other fun stuff. I blamed it on stress... My doc was awesome and sent me for bloodwork on Everything!! It came back with low iron and low thyroid... She put me on 0.05mg of Synthroid and inside of a week I noticed a difference... I realise it doesn't work that way for everyone, but it did for me...
Best of luck to everyone... A good doctor ,a lot of questions and the right attitude will get you a long way!!
Bananajana
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 20:45

Plan: own
Stats: 175/178/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -9%

Thanks again for all the info. I stopped the meds two days ago and will restart after the test. This Am my basil temp was 96.7. Yuck. I cannot wait to get these tests finished and get back on the road to feeling better. Will post the results after the tests are back. Thanks for all you help.
Charlotte
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 10:03

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Glad the synth is helping, banana. Some people feel just fine on T4 only. Just make sure your doc continues to run FT3 and FT4, ok?
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 13:01

Plan: own
Stats: 175/178/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -9%

Feeling pretty awful today. I have no energy what so ever. I need to get the house cleaned for out of state company and I am so darn tired its not even funny. I did take my blood test today for the tsh ft4 ft3 so I am back on the meds this morning. Went to the regular dr yesterday for a checkup on the cymbalta and my temp was 96.4 BP was 130/90. I am going to stay on the cymbalta untill the thyroid meds kick in.

Will post results when I get them 7-10 days. My brain is not functioning well today so I am going to go take a nap now.