Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 11:14
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Ditch the workout, join the party? (Zumba)

Well, I don't want to sound like an ad or something, but I couldn't believe when I searched the logs and found a 2006 reference to Zumba with a few posts and nothing else! I wasn't sure where to post this because it's a workout that is high impact but can be beginner or advanced depending on your own effort.

I started doing a combination of Zumba and Pilates in June and the effects have been amazing. More than anything, it's just been fun, enjoyable and the kind of thing I want to go back to do multiple times a week. I never dread class the way I've sometimes dreaded going to workout on a machine. I consider it cardio, although I know there is probably a bit more strengthening involved than standard machine cardio. I love the challenge of the movements and the sound of the music, which makes an hour go by so fast.

So, enough of my essay on "why I love Zumba"...is there anyone else doing this??? Just curious to see if I have any company.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 16:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/169/162 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Well, I don't want to sound like an ad or something, but I couldn't believe when I searched the logs and found a 2006 reference to Zumba with a few posts and nothing else! I wasn't sure where to post this because it's a workout that is high impact but can be beginner or advanced depending on your own effort.

I started doing a combination of Zumba and Pilates in June and the effects have been amazing. More than anything, it's just been fun, enjoyable and the kind of thing I want to go back to do multiple times a week. I never dread class the way I've sometimes dreaded going to workout on a machine. I consider it cardio, although I know there is probably a bit more strengthening involved than standard machine cardio. I love the challenge of the movements and the sound of the music, which makes an hour go by so fast.

So, enough of my essay on "why I love Zumba"...is there anyone else doing this??? Just curious to see if I have any company.

Are you still doing zumba? I started it recently. I have taken 2 classes and hope to keep it up. Honestly, it kicks my butt, but I am motivated by going. I hope to get better at it--I am so uncoordinated I know I look like a fool,,lol. I also tried a yoga class-I haven't decided yet if it is my cup of tea.

I was thinking I might do 2 zumba classes a week along with 1 yoga. I have winsor pilates and enjoy that also, and may do that instead of yoga if I can't make it to class. I just don't know if yoga is worth doing??

Have you found it to get easier and be really productive?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-08, 06:52
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I was surprised to see someone had posted in this thread this morning so I had to pop in and reply (I'm so busy right now I'm not on the forum much). The answer is yes, I'm still doing Zumba and yes, it does get "more productive". I'm not sure it gets easier in terms of a workout, but I think the more you get to know the steps the easier it is for your brain. LOL Most instructors have fairly consistent routines and the nature of the steps are dance-based (dalsa, merengue, kumbia and others plus aerobic moves) you will eventually start to recognize them. When you know more what to expect you can concentrate more on your workout and less on tripping! (And I still trip plenty.)

It sounds like you have a great combination of things going. I personally think you need to keep mixing things up for your body and I know that Pilates and Zumba was the answer for me (since by their nature they are never exactly the same like it would be on a treadmill doing weights).

Good luck and keep at it! And remember it's not about getting the steps right - it's about the attitude, baby!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/169/162 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 86%

By the time I get the step down they move onto something new, lol. I can tell some of the others in class are really enjoying it--I wouldn't go back if I didn't think I would be fun once I really got the hang of it.

I had oral surgery yesterday and think I'll wait until next week to go back, I don't want to cause any mouth problems from all the jumping around.

Do you know if yoga is worth messing with? When I was doing it it felt stupid and like I wasn't working out at all, but I had jelly legs afterwards so I had to be working something.