Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins Medical Experts Present Food Pyramid Recommendations to Congress...

Press Release Source: Atkins Health & Medical Information Services

Atkins Medical Experts Present Food Pyramid Recommendations to Congress And Administration

Thursday February 12, 8:15 am ET

Atkins Physicians Council Members File Controlled-Carbohydrate Food Pyramid with Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, Federal Officials

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040212/nyth053_1.html

WASHINGTON, Feb. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- This week, the Atkins Physicians Council (APC) briefed federal officials and members of the Bush Administration on an innovative food guide pyramid supporting a controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle that could serve the needs of many of the more than 100 million Americans who are losing the battle against obesity. The Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid is designed to address the epidemic of obesity by providing an easy to follow nutritional approach for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. Atkins also informed the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that medical experts with Atkins Health & Medical Information Services (AH&MIS) intend to file comments with the government's Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee based on Atkins' nutritional approach and dietary philosophy.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20040212/NYTH053 )

"While we recognize that there is no single nutritional solution for Americans battling overweight, obesity, diabetes and heart disease, clearly the existing Food Guide Pyramid and future versions that might continue to rely solely on low-fat, portion-control or calorie-counting approaches will not be helpful to many of the approximately 60 percent of our population who have been unsuccessful using these same strategies over the past few decades," explains Stuart Trager, M.D., chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council (APC).

The APC briefed federal officials from the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration, the White House and key members of Congress on the growing need to combat the nation's obesity epidemic. Atkins has also made a submission to USDA Secretary Ann Veneman, and offered to follow-up with a more detailed briefing. The Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid was presented to federal officials as a tool to demonstrate AH&MIS' commitment to support government efforts to combat America's nutrition crisis in the decades to come.

"We are delighted that the USDA has come to terms with the need for individualization of nutritional approaches and is now proposing the development of as many as 12 new versions of the existing pyramid," adds Dr. Trager. "We will work in the months to come to ensure that among these versions is a controlled-carbohydrate option based on the existing and emerging scientific research that supports the safety and efficacy of controlled-carbohydrate nutrition. As physicians, we need to provide the full spectrum of effective and safe options to the millions of Americans who are in need of an individualized weight-management plan they can follow. USDA surveys have shown that while 80 percent of Americans recognize the existing Food Guide Pyramid, very few heed its advice. Designing more practical and realistic versions of the pyramid, including those based on controlling carbohydrates, will go a long way to empowering people with effective tools and choices to battle this epidemic of obesity."

Perhaps as important, the Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid should dispel many of the myths and misconceptions about Atkins that have prevented more people from using this effective solution to weight control. "The visual imagery of the Atkins pyramid and its accompanying information should also provide clarity to those who misunderstand the Atkins program and mistakenly believe that eating many vegetables and fruits is not an integral part of doing Atkins properly. The Atkins pyramid should also put to rest the misleading claims by copycat diet book authors whose supposed "healthier" versions of the Atkins Nutritional Approach (ANA) are, at best, rank imitations of the ANA or, at worst, unproven and potentially risky departures from the now scientifically validated ANA protocols," says Dr. Trager.

"It's time to put aside all economic and philosophical self-interest and work together to focus on science based medicine and nutrition," insists Mary C. Vernon, M.D. Dr. Vernon, another member of the APC, is also the current vice president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. "When it comes to re-educating the American public this is a wake up call that is well over due. Armed with a better understanding of the health risks associated with uncontrolled consumption of certain carbohydrates, particularly white flour and added sugars, it is clear that Dr. Atkins' longtime goal of increasing carbohydrate awareness will go a long way to improving the health and well-being of Americans," concludes Dr. Vernon.

"We surely owe this to our children and the next generation of Americans," notes Stephen B. Sondike, M.D., one of the nation's most widely published researchers on childhood and adolescent obesity. "I feel that the controlled-carbohydrate approach may eventually be viewed as an even more critical tool for children than it is for adults. We're now faced with a generation of children who can expect to have a shorter lifespan than their parents if we don't move quickly to revolutionize nutrition and health care in this country. History may judge my generation of physicians on this alone." Dr. Sondike, the third member of the APC to attend the Administration meetings, is director of the Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Management (NEW) Kids Program at the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.

The Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid is based on the writings and work of Dr. Atkins and for the first time graphically depicts in traditional "food pyramid" language what Dr. Atkins championed for more than 30 years. Based on Dr. Atkins' work, the pyramid emphasizes a wide range of protein sources and nutrient-dense carbohydrates, such as most vegetables, certain fruits, nuts, dairy products and whole grains, that have a low impact on blood sugar.

"One of the benefits of this approach," emphasizes Dr. Trager, "is that the average American can follow a controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle, eat until satisfied and achieve a healthy balance of fats and other nutrients-all without having to count portions or calories. Dr. Trager also points out that this is the first pyramid to take into account the impact of increasing physical activity on optimal nutrition. "What better positive reinforcement for the many health benefits of improved fitness than the ability to enjoy an even broader range of food options by increasing physical activity?"

To further support the Atkins Lifestyle Food Guide Pyramid, Atkins Health & Medical Information Services will sponsor a broad range of education initiatives, including an ongoing series of conferences and seminars in Washington, D.C., and New York City, speaking engagements before consumer and health care professional groups, publications, online information resources and educational tools for primary, middle and high school teachers and health care professionals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Atkins Health & Medical Information Services
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 09:15
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I love the Atkins suggested food pyramid

This new food pyramid is the best I can think of. It can fit all. The people who are currently obese need to be selective in the vegetables and fruits they eat, the rest can eat all vegetables and fruits. If accepted without modification, the nation's obesity rate will decline over the coming years.

#3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

Didn't read the text part, but man... that food pyramid is brilliant. Now THAT'S something I could consider good guidance for the masses!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 12:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Woot! I actually eat pretty much that way. Except I probably have the veggies and meat reversed. That's due to laziness.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:03
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm surprised that the nuts/oils/dairy group is so far up the pyramid, and that the peanuts are grouped with the milk.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

I eat way more dairy and nut fat than that .
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 20:21

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Gotbeer, I thought that too at first, but don't forget that they are not specifying "lean meat" at the bottom of the pyramid, so presumably one is getting a healthy portion of fats from those sources anyway...so that would push additional fats a bit up the pyramid perhaps? And the AN research showed that their overall diet consisted of about 20% saturated fat and I imagine a lot of that is coming on those steaks and chops..

But was also surprised that nuts are higher up...perhaps because of calorie density?? I didn't think that was an issue tho...might be a good question to pose to AN.

Val
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 20:51
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%

I think this is absolutely fabulous. I hope it has some impact on the USRDA.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

Well I think it boils down to personal preference on the order of the categories after veggies and meat. Except I really think putting berries anywhere else than right after veggies would be wrong.

Even though a lot of people like to eat a lot of cheese and nuts, I would say it is more because of convenience than nutritional value. Thus, the _recommendations_ are based on nutritional value.

I might even go so far as saying that pulling nuts&cheese down could represent the same problem that grains had in the previous pyramid. Convenience over nutritional value.

I do eat my cheese&nuts, but I know a hearty meat&veggies would be better. Cheese&nuts are the fast food of low carb sort of. Of course LOTS better than the low-fat versions of fast food. But still convenience over nutrition.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:36

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Are you saying that fruit is more nutrient dense than nuts? I would have thought that nuts had certain minerals...selenium in brazil nuts for example that is not found in fruits...I still find the order a bit surprising.

Val
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:16
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think this is an excellent idea as far as foods go, but I still really like the radiant food pyramid concept. It would be nice to see the two combined.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:16
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Fruit

The fruits in the pyramid are more nutritionally dense per calorie than nuts and cheese are.

Berries particularly are high in antioxidants and myriad vitanutrients, moreover water and fiber, and the proportionate quantity of fruits in a diet would be higher than nuts.

Nuts and cheese should be eaten in serious moderation because they are very high in calories, and it is very easy to abuse nuts (where a normal serving is only 1 oz weight) and packs about 150 - 200 calories.

That's not to say that nuts don't have their place, because they are very nutritious, but eaten in small quantities.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:19

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

You know, I don't think I've ever had tofu...
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:58
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:

The food pyramid is not made particularly for us. We are on a corrective diet which requires drastic reduction in carbohydrates. The pyramid is made for everybody.

An average person who has never been obese should eat vegetables and fruits with no restriction, plenty of meat, small amount of nuts and cheese and minimum bread.

Last edited by Samuel : Fri, Feb-13-04 at 10:07.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 10:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

A pyramid shape kind of limits the presentation of any diet.

A problem with any diet recommendations is understanding what a serving is. I often heard that a serving of meat is the size of a deck of cards. Very few people seve meat in that size. I would prefer that the recommendations specify the food by weight rather than servings.