Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 15:21

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by molmerlin
yee haw, glad to see this thread. I am there too I am 45, I thought that was too young. but holy cow, iapparently not. tom can be 7 or 8 weeks late, niagra falls the whole deal. and these hot flashes. what the heck is up with that? glad to see I am in the same boat with others. I have mood swings that must surely baffle my coworkers

Hi, Molmerlin...and ladies

I'm 41yrs old and I had a dance student, age 46, who was diagnosed with full-blown menopause!

Anyway, I've been having "weird symptoms," but no cessation in the menses yet, no libido upswing (actually the opposite...but probably the massive stress I'm going through right now). However, the hot flashes and night sweats----holy cow, but they're awful!

I wake up often, like someone else's post I read earlier, with the ceiling fan on, covers flung back, and DYING in the heat! In fact, many times I can feel the mattress beneath my back radiating the heat back! Sometimes I have to get up and go stand in front of the air conditioner to cool off because it's WORSE than just being hot. It's miserable.

I don't have health ins. so can't go to a doctor right now to see what's up with all of this, but it's nice to hear that I'm not losing my mind about all this stuff.

Oh.. and the worst part is the diminished metabolism. I hate that so, so much.

Thanks for starting this thread.....it's a little scary for me right now.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 13:49

Plan: protein power
Stats: 236/172/130
BF:
Progress: 60%

I'm so glad to have found this site....I knew I wasn't alone but I didn't know where y'all were hiding!

It's been 7 months since my last TOM and I'm doing pretty well. I have tried eating lots of soy to help with hot flashes etc. and it seems to help. My Dr. pushes HRT but after all the negative stuff in the news lately about it I'm happy to muddle through without it. I'm 51 so I figure I must be right in the midst of full-blown menopause. One of my worst problems is the foggy-headedness others have mentioned. I work at a library and read a lot.....it's become a joke around our department that while I've probably read many of the books people are talking about I can't remember any of them!!!!

This site is great...I can't wait to visit again
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 03:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Unhappy There are sooooo many women

who are still dealing with all this alone, so it's up to each of us to pass the word along that there are boards and websites where we can share our experiences and relieve some of the fear (and hopefully the hot flashes!) that we're losing our friggin' minds!

bcoz.....so many doctors are more confused than WE are, at this point. They don't know how to deal with us unless it's with drugs. Most women on HRT have so many side effects that they have to take more drugs to deal with them. You sound like you've taken charge of your own body and that's great! You're actually in the middle of PERI-menopause, since you're not actually menopausal until you haven't had a period for 12 mo.

Don't worry about the MBF (menopausal brain fog)....most of us experience that too. I know it gets frustrating, but if you just take it in stride and keep your sense of humor, you'll find that it can be dealt with.

I hope you'll take some time and read through my site, where lots of women have shared their experiences. The funniest page is "Minnie Moments"!

Welcome also to SandyLee, Dale and Jalilah on this board! We seem to go through a rush of posts and then none for awhile, but it's really great to know we have so much in common with low carbing and hormones!
Dee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weightloss.jpg (25.8 KB, 13 views)
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 18:01
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Ladies, Monday, November 11, the Phil Donahue Show is going to be about women's health issues. The author (Lise Cloutier-Steele) of a book (Misinformed Consent) that I recommended in a post on this thread is going to be on the show discussing hysterectomy.
asugar
  #155   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 08:40
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Just thought I would drop by to see if there has been any new menopause mayhem.

Quote:
Origianlly posted by Asugar
<b>Ladies, Monday, November 11, the Phil Donahue Show is going to be about women's health issues. The author (Lise Cloutier-Steele) of a book (Misinformed Consent) that I recommended in a post on this thread is going to be on the show discussing hysterectomy. </b>

Thanks for the info, I did get a chance to see the program, very informative.

HN
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 08:51
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi there HN!

It's been pretty quiet around here! I suppose everyone is now getting ready for the Holidays.

I didn't get to see the Donohue show 'cause I don't get that station on my cable. But next week I'm switching to satellite so I hope to be able to watch Donohue from now on. I always enjoyed his talk show.

I've been "out of commission" this past week with tendonitis in my shoulder. What a pain!! hahaha...and in my right shoulder too. I've had to stay off the computer because that's the only thing that could have caused such a flare up. I guess 7 years using the computer for up to 16 hrs a day wasn't a good idea. Finally feeling a little better today after chiro adjustment, ice packs, anti-inflammatory meds, heat rub, two days total rest, arm in a sling for 4 days and even a neighbor's home remedy....vinegar pancake! phew!

Hope you're doing well! I've lost a total of 49 lbs. on Atkins and am looking forward to eating whatever I want on Thanksgiving (moderate portions, of course) and then probably a week of induction to kick start me afterwards.

Take care.....
Dee
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Hello Ladies
I stated before on one of my earlier replies, that I have been soooo uncomfortable with agitation and hot flashes sleepless nights and anxiety attacks flaring up again, that I was seriously thinking of going back on HRT. Well a trip to my doctor has confirmed that I would be a good candidate to go back on them. I was on a natural concotion that worked great..... Sooooo he gave me a new perscription and I have been taking them now for about 8 or 9 days and I think the flashes are beginning to lessen, the anxiety is lightening up, I know that much! You know, I guess I am willing to risk a little here, because the whole effect menopause was haveing on me was totally ruining my quality of life.
Good Grief Charlie Brown! I couldn't even get a hair do ~ my head was always damp with perspiration! :blush : So now I'm hoping this will all subside soon. I am also taking supplements of flax seed oil and black cohash, hoping to speed up the relief
O'Suzana
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 12:17
Lover of Life

BF:

Oh my gosh Dee, so sorry to hear about you being out of commission. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Congrats on the 49lbs. lost, that is quite an accomplishment, you should be so proud of yourself.

Osuzana

If going back on HRT will help you with the symptoms I am all for it. Not everyone responds to natural alternatives, to each his own.

Take care all!
Happy Holidays

HN
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 18:59
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

I hope Dee and Suzana are both feeling better really fast.
The Donahue Show was informative but I really think each of the 4 topics covered on the show warranted a show of it's own. I was disappointed that Lise wasn't given a chance to plug her hysterectomy book although she did make good use of the little bit of time she had on the show. She asked Phil Donahue if he would like to have his male parts removed on the chance that he could someday develop testicular cancer. The expression on his face was priceless. I've often wondered why doctors don't suggest men with prostate problems have THEIR reproductive systems removed.
asugar
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 23:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Minnie, for making me feel welcome
Your cartoons are hysterical. I sent the one with the fan to my sister who is always sitting in front of a fan, and she loved it.

I went to the doctor and found out that the reason I missed my period for two months is too much synthetic thyroid hormone. The doctor took me off one of my medicines, cytomel. I already stopped sweating. And here I thought it was menopause. I do think I am in perimenopause though, and I have heard a recent study that Black Cohosh is the only herbal remedy for menopause that actually has been proven to do anything.

Sandy
  #161   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:04
Lover of Life

BF:

Hope all are doing well!

No posts, no problems! Nope, just too darn busy to think about it.

HN
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:11

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Well, here's one for you...

I'm 41, have the symptoms of Niagara Falls (2 yrs now), Celery, although that dropped off the last 3 months, breast tenderness almost the whole month (which I never had at all before). No hot flashes, in fact, I'm usually freezing all the time. I think I may have had a few, not bad, a couple a year.

What would you guys recommend as far as supplementation. I know that herbs can lose their effectiveness if take for a long time, so I'm concerned about that. Are there specific vitamins, etc. that would be helpful to take now, when symptoms really aren't a problem yet? Maybe to head things off at the pass?

Great thread,

Thanks, Amy
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 07:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default Got through my first holiday on this WOE

After 6 mo. on low-carb (very near NO-carb), I gave myself a break on Thanksgiving and had one plate with ham, mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing. Guess what??? I'm OK!! hahaha... I was really afraid to allow myself anything, but after reading on this board about planning a cheat, etc., I knew I could do it!

I've been stuck for about a month, but basically I know why....still not drinking enough water, still drinking too much decaf and DietRite cola (which means too much Splenda) and still haven't started exercising......... but knowing the problem is halfway to the solution, so I feel in control and that leads to success. I've lost 50 lbs and have another 40 to go, but I've never stuck to anything for this long so I know I'll reach my goal.

I have noticed a few hotflashes since I lost weight, so this will be something I'll be researching for my site. I'm also experimenting with adding soy protein (in the form of shakes and bars) and will report if there's any measureable benefit.

Take care and stay stress free!!
Dee
PS: for you single gals, check out my newest cartoon
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 05:00

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Janeydi....
1000 mg. Vit. E for the "tenderness" has always worked for me....
fast too..... try it just once... you'll see....

Ms. Minnie...... Good for you!.... Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself... funny... I noticed LESS flash while losing and now NO flash....still have a little to go... hoping another 10 won't bring on any "flash-backs"

HN..... you're right....
greentea
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-02, 04:31

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Thought the following e I received fit in good for this thread....

Barbie.....

Finally a Barbie I can relate to. At long last, here are some NEW Barbie dolls to coincide with her and OUR aging gracefully. These are a bit more realistic...

1. Bifocals Barbie. Comes with her own set of blended-lens fashion frames in six wild colors (half-frames too!), neck chain, and large-print editions of Vogue and Martha Stewart Living.

2. Hot Flash Barbie. Press Barbie's bellybutton and watch her face turn
beet red while tiny drops of perspiration appear on her forehead.
Comes with handheld fan and tiny tissues.

3. Facial Hair Barbie. As Barbie's hormone levels shift, see her whiskers grow. Available with teensy tweezers and magnifying mirror.

4. Flabby Arms Barbie. Hide Barbie's droopy triceps with these new,roomier-sleeved gowns. Good news on the tummy front, two-MuMus with tummy-support panels are included.

5. Bunion Barbie. Years of disco dancing in stiletto heels have definitely taken their toll on Barbie's dainty arched feet. Soothe her sores with the pumice stone and plasters, then slip on soft terry mules.

6. No-More-Wrinkles Barbie. Erase those pesky crow's-feet and lip lines
with a tube of Skin Sparkle-Spackle, from Barbie's own line of exclusive
age-blasting cosmetics.

7. Soccer Mom Barbie. All that experience as a cheerleader is really paying off as Barbie dusts off her old high school megaphone to root for Babs and Ken, Jr. Comes with minivan in robin-egg blue or white and cooler filled with doughnut holes and fruit punch.

8. Mid-life Crisis Barbie. It's time to ditch Ken. Barbie needs a change,
and Alonzo (her personal trainer) is just what the doctor ordered, along with Prozac. They're hopping in her new red Miata and heading for the Napa Valley to open a B&B. Includes a real tape of "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do."

9. Divorced Barbie. Sells for$ 199.99. Comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, and Ken's boat.

10. Recovery Barbie. Too many parties have finally caught up with the
ultimate party girl. Now she does Twelve Steps instead of dance steps. Clean and sober, she's going to meetings religiously. Comes with a little copy of The Big Book and a six-pack of Diet Coke.

11. Post-Menopausal Barbie. This Barbie wets her pants when she sneezes, forgets where she puts things, and cries a lot. She is sick and tired of Ken sitting on the couch watching the tube, clicking through the channels. Comes with Depends and Kleenex. As a bonus this year, the book "Getting In Touch with Your Inner Self" is included.