Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 08:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default No-salt, no cottonseed oil, roasted nuts, where on line can I find good prices?

Part of my LC plan has always been nuts. Peanuts, pecans, Brazils, Walnuts, Pistachios, Macadamias, Hazelnuts, etc. (yes I know none of those are really nuts except the Hazelnuts).

I get them roasted and salted, and have for decades, however in my 'old age' I've developed a sensitivity to salt. It raises my blood pressure - it never did for the first 66 years of my life, but now it does.

Also, I avoid GMO foods and all cottonseed oil is a GMO - did I mention that I avoid GMO foods? I avoid canola unless certified GMO free.

I prefer for them to be roasted in peanut oil - and for Macadamias dry roasted - but now without salt.

I've been getting them at a warehouse type food outlet (BJs) for a good price. The 11oz Mauna Loa Mac-nuts goes for about $8 and 34oz of mixed nuts for $15. But BJs doesn't have non-salted.

You would think that I could beat that price on-line - but I'm googling away and seeing everything more expensive - and then with shipping added.

I got some mixed nuts at Amazon and bought enough to get the free shipping, but they are still more expensive than BJs, and Macadamia nuts are way more expensive.

So I know there are a lot of smart shoppers on this forum, so I ask these questions:
  1. Who has non-salted, roasted in peanut oil mixed nuts for the best price?
  2. Who has non-salted Macadamia nuts for the best price?
Prices of course include shipping to Florida.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 08:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I buy raw almonds and roast them myself in the oven with no oil, no salt. I place a single layer on a large flat jellyroll pan (like a cookie sheet but with a lip around all edges). I cook roast them at 375 degrees, usually for 8 minutes, then keep cooking 2 min at a time till I can just detect the scent of roasted almonds. I pull them out of the oven and let them rest on the cake pan till cool. It's usually 10-12 minutes total. All ovens are a bit different so experiment till you get the results you like.

I've done the same with hazelnuts, and I imagine it would work for all nuts. If doing small quantities you can also cook them on top of the stove in a frypan. Just move them around a lot so they don't burn in one place. EZ.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 10:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I agree with Liz - roasting your own is an easy option. I usually buy my nuts at Trader Joe's - they have salted and unsalted, raw and roasted, and some organic. Unfortunately, for this discussion, I transfer them to glass jars when I get them home, so cannot tell you what sort of oils (if any) they use.

ETA: I'm pretty sure it isn't cottonseed oil because I look for that (to avoid) as well
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 15:46

BF:

Thanks.

I can't get raw around here except from a produce stand I can get peanuts, pecans and hazelnuts in the shell. I haven't the time for all the cracking.

We don't have a Trader Joes and the small health food store has a few nuts, but the prices are way out of line.

I need an on-line source.

Thanks again,
Bob
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 18:44

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Sometimes I can get unsalted peanuts and cashews at Walmart at a decent price. Since my husband was recently diagnosed with congestive heart failure, I'm learning that it is somewhat hard to find salt free or low salt foods, especially snack foods.

Here ya go. There are both peanuts and cashews here, maybe more, I didn't look at all of them, and you can order online.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...eanuts/10448400
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 22:52
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Bob: Looks like Trader Joe's is going to open two Florida stores in the next couple of months.

Wellington, FL - May 16
Winter Park, FL - Jun 27
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 07:41

BF:

Thanks for the W-M link jbmoore - the cashews are in cottonseed oil but the peanuts are dry roasted.

argee, thanks. TJs is indeed coming to Florida, but winter park is 2 hours away and wellington an hour and a half.

There are good things about living in a less densely populated area, but good stores is not one of them ;(
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 08:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just googled and found this link:

http://www.nuts.com/tag/raw
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 12:52

BF:

Thanks for googling pollyanna1.

Yep, been there. Nuts.com want's $9.99/lb plus shipping for mixed nuts, roasted in peanut oil, with no salt. (Same price for raw mixed nuts.)

I'm paying $7.06/lb for salted, roasted in peanut oil nuts locally at BJs - no tax - no shipping.

It seems odd that I can't find them for that price or less on-line (with ou without salt).

Bob