Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 07:50

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Great thread. EWG has an app for Android and iphones: EWG Healthy Living that contains detailed information enabling one to scan barcodes while shopping to get food/product information on the go. When scanned, the app provides a detailed health analysis of the food and suggests healthier or equivalent alternatives. Very useful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 12:39

Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/155/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

I use my Carb Manager app in a similar way: it has a scanning function, and I get an instant macro of what is in a typical serving.

Most of the stuff I put back
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-19, 17:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

One thing I buy occasionally is a carton of chicken livers. I know they're not carb free (still only 0.02 g carbs/100 g serving), but the price is excellent (I think the last time I bought them, they were only $1.29 or $1.39 for a pound of livers at a local SE Pa store.)

I usually fry them in butter, and eat a couple of them every day for a few days. I crave them every now and then - not sure why, but I think it might be due to their high folate content - 100 g of chicken livers has 588 mcg of folate (147% RDA). That's almost 3 times the amount in 100 g of spinach.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 05:25

BF:

Ever since I started low carbing in 2003, I would say my grocery bill has not changed. Since my family is two adults with disparate tastes, I don't have to feed a bunch of hungry children or cater to junk food junkies, and that helps a lot.

Since we are both dealing with chronic illnesses and the fatigue it brings, our tender spot is keeping up with all the cooking and cleaning meals create. Frozen stuff has undeniable appeal in such cases, though it is the worst way to get a meal, I think.

Now that I have simplified my menu and my tastes, I find shopping for myself is so easy, and the cooking part is, too.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 07:18

BF:

Expanding my thoughts further, I know I was raised with meat treated like pure gold, and it was never eaten alone... that would be a sign of sinful decadence! It was always streeeeeetched with cheap carbs. Low carb, with vegetables, is much better in that department, too.

But for me, going super low carb is doing wonders for my illness, so eating mostly meat is not the extravagance it might seem, because I eat my slab of beef and I AM DONE, often for the rest of the day. I can have one expensive meal for the cost of three cheap ones.

For money, I'm even, and for health, I'm ahead.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-19, 12:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/188/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Expanding my thoughts further, I know I was raised with meat treated like pure gold, and it was never eaten alone... that would be a sign of sinful decadence! It was always streeeeeetched with cheap carbs. Low carb, with vegetables, is much better in that department, too.

But for me, going super low carb is doing wonders for my illness, so eating mostly meat is not the extravagance it might seem, because I eat my slab of beef and I AM DONE, often for the rest of the day. I can have one expensive meal for the cost of three cheap ones.

For money, I'm even, and for health, I'm ahead.

Same here, I am the most satisfied with single piece of steak and it's really the best thing to eat for BS anyway and to stabilize that BS with No swings whatsoever. It's filling in a good way holding me for hours on end. Once in a while I've had a steak for lunch and although that seems
extravagant it shouldn't be because it's our WOE.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 14:35

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/164.0/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/30.0/27.3
Progress: 68%

My go to for cheap is eggs!

If you shop at the 99cent store they have good prices on limited quantities of bacon, ribs, sausage, cheese, half n half, cream cheese. Package of avocados 4 for $1.00. Recently clearanced ripe strawberries to 25c a carton. Loads of veges there. 3 packs of seaweed and flavored and unflavored pork rinds 1.00.

I buy the prepared salad mixes, 3 servings $1.99 they come with salad dressing, I add grilled chicken breast.