Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

This grew out of a discussion between Wa'il and me on the 190 club thread. Is there any interest among people here to huddle in smallish groups by weight? The idea isn't to be competitive, but supportive. I've seen this on other boards and always thought it a good idea. I can't see 200 from here, but I'm beginning to believe that 250 is possible. Someone who's at 300 might need to aim for a 275 thread, etc.

So if anyone has 250 as their next big goal, please join in. The first one to hit 250 gets to start the 225 thread! (Unless someone else starts it first, of course.)

Wa'il, I hope you don't mind that I've done this. If you'd rather it be handled differently, please delete the post
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 13:26

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

250 is my short-term goal. I'm at 257 right now.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 13:32

BF:

Hi Sh'ra. 250 is a big goal. (I remember, on the way up, that was when my stomach really ballooned.)

Your stats are great! You've really been sticking with this. I'm just at the stage where I can imagine that this will be a way of life. How long did it take you to get there? Or does the old "diet mentality" still get in the way from time to time?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:32

BF:

Alto,
Actually, this is a "restart." I began eating low carb (not Atkins, just low carb) about two years ago, and lost down to 235. However, over the last year, I went back to eating carbs (and sugar) and gained back to 260...I'm just blessed I didn't gain more than that!!

So, I just began induction again last Monday, and have lost three pounds so far (I haven't been on a scale since Thursday). I put my original weight of 320 mainly to give ME a boost, and to remind myself that even though I gained some back, I've still come a long way.

I did use it as a way of life, but when I started my new job and had some other stressful stuff happen in my life, I stopped paying attention to what went into my mouth - so now, I'm "detoxing" from sugar once again *sigh* - there's a big birthday cake with three pieces left out in the main room of my office, and I've had to walk by it at least six times this afternoon! Arrrgh!

As far as when I was doing it before, it only took about 7 months to get from 320 to 235, and I wasn't doing it as heavy then as I am now. Not too shabby.

We just need to keep telling ourselves that no matter what we think we're missing, it will be WORTH it. What are you looking forward to? These are the things that keep my mood up and my food on track:

*Walking into a room and having people look and say, "Wow! You look great!"

*Being able to run again - a favorite pastime in the past (and play softball without pulling a thigh muscle when I run).

*Sleeping on my stomach comfortably, without having to lift a leg to the side so I don't feel squished!

*Being able to shop in NORMAL sized clothing, and not feel like all the clothing for my size is made by Omar the Tentmaker.

*Being able to clothing shop in a thrift shop (all us plus sized girls keep our nice clothes until they rot, so they never make it to a thrift shop). I like bargains

*Uh...er...sex made easier Not that it's not fun now, mind you...

Anyone else? What are you looking forward to?

Sh'ra
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 16:35

BF:

You're in a special category of restarter Good for you to start again before things got completely out of hand!

What I'm looking forward to is perhaps only a dream -- that this is OVER. Weight has been an issue all my life. I want to wake up and not have my first thought being about weight, or eating, or not eating.

I'm also very out of shape, in the sense of not being able to walk up more than two flights of stairs without feeling as though I'm going to have a heart attack. I want that OVER.

When I walk in the room, I don't want people to be afraid I'll break their furniture.

Nice clothes, good sex, all that stuff -- that would be nice But I just want to be normal.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 16:48

BF:

True, and I can relate again - there is NOTHING more embarassing than actually breaking a piece of furniture - I shudder at plastic chairs and lawn furniture - just gives me the willies to think about it.

Normal - how does normal feel? *pondering*

Well, we WILL find out!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:22

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up Count me in!

OK girls, count me in! This is the room for me!! I won't be getting to 250 lbs. for a while. But I was just thinking the other day that I am looking forward to being 250. It's been a long while since I've seen those numbers. Probably longer than 10 years. So that will be a day for a PARTY when I reach that. I am already noticing some changes. The other day I went to the Urgent Care with my daughter and granddaughter( my granddaughter had an ear infection). I fit in the chairs that had arms on both sides. Infact, it was real roomy. Normally I feel very squished in those chairs. Or like at Denny's getting into the booth and realizing I fit. Of course I look forward to fitting better, but I am so thrilled that I am shrinking and noticing these changes. So again, I think I will join you and maybe we can keep track of each other and encourage each other. Victoria
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:26

BF:

You'll be a perfect fit, Victoria You've already done so well; you can inspire the rest of us!

(I'm glad to "see" you again. I realized yesterday I hadn't noticed you on the board for a day or two -- maybe I just missed you -- but I'm very glad you're still here.)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 15:23

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink I'm back

Alto,
Didn't mean to "leave" but have been busy elsewhere. I guess now that Christmas is not too far away alot of us will be out and about more. But I can't leave for long, I need the support and information I find here. Thanks for noticing tho....
Victoria
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 11:03

BF:

Victoria,
Ditto! Being able to slide into a booth is really nice - we don't have to specifically request a table anymore for comfort. I used to HATE those chairs with arms on each side - and some small movie theater seats with the armrests - had to sit slumped down in my seat because my rump wouldn't fit between the armrests.

I'm looking very forward to being "normal."

Sh'ra
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi I'm Diz, I have a short (at the rate long term) term goal of 250 lbs. It's been a long time since I saw 250 but I'm looking forward to it.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 22:28

BF:

Hi, Diz. Great stats! You're almost at 250 -- a good short-term goal

Any tips for us? (I'm always looking for how people make this WORK from favorite meals and snacks, or things they've learned along the way.)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 23:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I keep thinking I'm almost there.....but here lately the weight just isn't going away. It's a pound or two maybe in two weeks sometimes three.

Exercise has become nonexistent since winter started. I need to find an indoor pool for water aerobics but I dread doing it. Just don't like new things, new places...you know the unknown.

I really attribute the weight loss to the water aerobics. Bad knees so I am unable to do the walking. Atkins has not been difficult for me. This is the first time I have actually lost any weight on a diet so I have decided this has to be a WOL for me. I have a journal but haven't been writing same ol' same ol' stuff. Must get back to that seems to make me more accountable.

I have found the sweet tooth crazzzzz is satisfied by sf jello and whipped cream. I satisfy the "crunch" crazzzz with some nuts. But working on the "husbands out of town and I'm walking the floor trying to find something to keep my mind busy" crazzz! haha

I was hoping a little extra support might push me over the hump. Perhaps I might be able to help someone else over as well.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 05:48

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default 250 pounds is a target for me too!

What a great idea.
Aiming for 250 pounds as a short-term goal sounds a whole lot more do-able than my target weight.
I'm joining this thread to encourage and be encouraged!!
We can do it!
See ya,
kezza
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 08:21

BF:

Hi, Kezza -- yes. That's the idea. A good, solid, short-term goal with people who are all around the same weight -- not to have a competition, but to support.

Dizz, you sound down! You've done so well. I think keeping a journal does help -- even writing "same old same old" It may encourage you to try to jazz up your routine, or see some things to change.

Writing things down may give you a check list to see why the weight loss has slowed -- is there a food that could be added or eliminated, are you really drinking enough water??? (I'm not. This week I've been BAD about water and I know I haven't lost. I'm not getting on the scale. If I see no loss or a small gain, I'm not sure I can deal with it today. Instead, I'm going to guzzle water all weekend.)

I have bad knees too -- it's hard to go down stairs -- but I can walk. Just very slowly Our Y has water aerobics. I won't buy a bathing suit for months, but you're braver than me, obviously.

On boredom -- fat or less fat, I'm never bored, so I can't help there. I hope you can find something to do to get you through it that's not eating