Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/178/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Good Calories, Bad Calories: Taubes book released 9/25/07

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/...1400040780.html

ABOUT THIS BOOK

In this groundbreaking book, the result of seven years of research in every science connected with the impact of nutrition on health, award-winning science writer Gary Taubes shows us that almost everything we believe about the nature of a healthy diet is wrong.

For decades we have been taught that fat is bad for us, carbohydrates better, and that the key to a healthy weight is eating less and exercising more. Yet with more and more people acting on this advice, we have seen unprecedented epidemics of obesity and diabetes. Taubes argues persuasively that the problem lies in refined carbohydrates (white flour, sugar, easily digested starches) and sugars–via their dramatic and longterm effects on insulin, the hormone that regulates fat accumulation–and that the key to good health is the kind of calories we take in, not the number. There are good calories, and bad ones.

Good Calories
These are from foods without easily digestible carbohydrates and sugars. These foods can be eaten without restraint.
Meat, fish, fowl, cheese, eggs, butter, and non-starchy vegetables.

Bad Calories
These are from foods that stimulate excessive insulin secretion and so make us fat and increase our risk of chronic disease—all refined and easily digestible carbohydrates and sugars. The key is not how much vitamins and minerals they contain, but how quickly they are digested. (So apple juice or even green vegetable juices are not necessarily any healthier than soda.)
Bread and other baked goods, potatoes, yams, rice, pasta, cereal grains, corn, sugar (sucrose and high fructose corn syrup), ice cream, candy, soft drinks, fruit juices, bananas and other tropical fruits, and beer.

Taubes traces how the common assumption that carbohydrates are fattening was abandoned in the 1960s when fat and cholesterol were blamed for heart disease and then –wrongly–were seen as the causes of a host of other maladies, including cancer. He shows us how these unproven hypotheses were emphatically embraced by authorities in nutrition, public health, and clinical medicine, in spite of how well-conceived clinical trials have consistently refuted them. He also documents the dietary trials of carbohydrate-restriction, which consistently show that the fewer carbohydrates we consume, the leaner we will be.

With precise references to the most significant existing clinical studies, he convinces us that there is no compelling scientific evidence demonstrating that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease, that salt causes high blood pressure, and that fiber is a necessary part of a healthy diet. Based on the evidence that does exist, he leads us to conclude that the only healthy way to lose weight and remain lean is to eat fewer carbohydrates or to change the type of the carbohydrates we do eat, and, for some of us, perhaps to eat virtually none at all.

The 11 Critical Conclusions of Good Calories, Bad Calories:

1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, does not cause heart disease.
2. Carbohydrates do, because of their effect on the hormone insulin. The more easily-digestible and refined the carbohydrates and the more fructose they contain, the greater the effect on our health, weight, and well-being.
3. Sugars—sucrose (table sugar) and high fructose corn syrup specifically—are particularly harmful. The glucose in these sugars raises insulin levels; the fructose they contain overloads the liver.
4. Refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are also the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the other common chronic diseases of modern times.
5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating and not sedentary behavior.
6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter any more than it causes a child to grow taller.
7. Exercise does not make us lose excess fat; it makes us hungry.
8. We get fat because of an imbalance—a disequilibrium—in the hormonal regulation of fat tissue and fat metabolism. More fat is stored in the fat tissue than is mobilized and used for fuel. We become leaner when the hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses this imbalance.
9. Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels are elevated, we stockpile calories as fat. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat tissue and burn it for fuel.
10. By stimulating insulin secretion, carbohydrates make us fat and ultimately cause obesity. By driving fat accumulation, carbohydrates also increase hunger and decrease the amount of energy we expend in metabolism and physical activity.
11. The fewer carbohydrates we eat, the leaner we will be.

Good Calories, Bad Calories is a tour de force of scientific investigation–certain to redefine the ongoing debate about the foods we eat and their effects on our health.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 16:28

Stats: 160/157/127 Female 5 inches 4 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Wow...very insightful.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 18:59

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

And mine STILL hasn't shipped from amazon.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 19:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd
1. Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, does not cause heart disease.
3. Sugars—sucrose (table sugar) and high fructose corn syrup specifically—are particularly harmful. The glucose in these sugars raises insulin levels; the fructose they contain overloads the liver.
4. Refined carbohydrates, starches, and sugars are also the most likely dietary causes of cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and the other common chronic diseases of modern times.
That will never go over or be accepted these days; its too over the top-- he will be dismissed as just another 'health nut.'
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 19:42
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
That will never go over or be accepted these days; its too over the top-- he will be dismissed as just another 'health nut.'

He may get dismissed but the book is referenced for everything he says....quite an eye-opener (yes, I've already read it)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 20:19

Stats: 410/220/210 Male 75 inches
BF:50%/11%/8%
Progress: 95%

I've read it, too, and cannot wait to see the reaction from the low-fatties. How ya gonna explain this away, Dr. Ornish?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 21:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got mine from Amazon today. I'm amazed!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 03:51

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Mine has at least shipped lol, thank goodness, I was feeling left out......
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:11
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I plowed into it yesterday. It is good but pretty dry. I just wish I could put the information in there in many people's heads but it is probably too factual and dry for 99% of the people out there.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:21

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

um... ok serious question for those who've read the book... how is this any different from what dr. atkins published?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:25
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I haven't read the book, but my understanding is that it's not a diet book. It's just a review of the data and his interpretation of it.

Dr. Atkins published diet books, telling people what to eat.

Two completely different types of books.

If all you are interested in is what to eat, you probably don't care about Taubes' book. If you want to know more about why these are the right foods to eat, proving it, how the low fat dogma came into existence, Taubes' book sounds interesting.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:28
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
um... ok serious question for those who've read the book... how is this any different from what dr. atkins published?

No comparison.....Taubes documents study after study and delves into the various lines of thinking about carbohydrates, and traces the history, politics and personalities in the development of our public health policies. Fascinating stuff, much of it not previously referenced in the debate/discussion about carbohydrate restriction....and some of the data he references is smack-dab on, from studies that were done decades ago and lost in the noise of low-fat.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:32

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d

Sadly, I tend to agree. When people have deeply held beliefs, no amount of evidence will change their minds. The only ones who will believe it will be people who have experienced it, like most of us have. I hope I am wrong, but that is how I see it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:42
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
5. Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating and not sedentary behavior.
6. Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter any more than it causes a child to grow taller.
7. Exercise does not make us lose excess fat; it makes us hungry.

I can't wait to get this book. I'm getting a copy for my Mum too. It's about time! He'd better bloody well get on Oprah, dammit.

And finally someone says it - exercise is for health and for muscle/strength and shaping...not for weight loss. And it does make you hungrier! Otherwise we could all just work out and keep eating however we wanted and lose weight; we can, however, change our eating and lose weight without exercise. My gym folk readily admit this too...you come to the gym to look good nekkid, not to shed poundage.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 08:48
Experimenter

BF:

What I found interesting is Taubes seems to be saying that Arteriosclerosis does not lead to heart attacks. In particular he said that the Masai had arteriosclerosis (plaque in the arteries) but didn't suffer from heart disease.