Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 11:47

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I actually have an air "fryer," and so far it's really great. Maybe it is really a very small convection oven, but my "real" convection oven was never able to get a great char on my pork tenderloin as the air fryer does, and keep it moist in the center. A friend of mine does a whole roaster chicken in it, and she says it comes out juicy and delicious.

I went to a vegan doc for a while (he was an integrative doc, so he helped you to wellness rather than focusing on curing diseases). Anyway, I saw a family picture with 2 kids. They looked emaciated and had dark circles under their eyes. It was so obvious to me, why wasn't it obvious to the doctor?

It might be great, but it isn't frying. Roasting? Baking? But definitely not frying.

As far as the vegan doc, most people believe what they read and what they are told rather than having the awareness and confidence to observe and understand what is happening to them.

There is a lot of 'don't eat meat' propaganda out there, some of it from sources like the WHO and AHA. So deferring to authority many people follow along like sheep. It never occurs to them that those authorities might be wrong, or worse, might have received tacit bribes to voice those positions.

To me it's simple. --- I have the digestive tract of an omnivore. It isn't miles long like a horse, I don't have multiple stomachs like a cow and I don't eat my feces like a rabbit. --- I have the teeth of an omnivore, some tearing some grinding. --- I have the digestive enzymes of an omnivore --- and there are certain nutrients like B12 that are necessary but can only be naturally ingested from meat. --- So why would I go against what my body is telling me and become either a total carnivore or total vegan (and the only REAL vegetarians are vegans - after all, what vegetable did that egg, or piece of cheese grow on).

So to me an "Air Fryer" is as wrong as someone who eats cheese, eggs and/or fish calling themselves a vegetarian.

It's not wrong to be a vegan if that is what you choose. I don't have to agree. You might believe the propaganda, or you might not want to hurt the critters, or you might not like the taste of meat. I'm a picky eater too, I don't eat carbs and avoid onions and very spicy foods.

I'm not saying it's wrong to use an air fryer or eat whatever you want, I'm just saying we have language for communication, and using the language wrong erodes communication.

If that's a minor rant, please excuse and see a little humor in it.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 12:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I satisfy my desire for chips or fries by roasting chicken thighs or backs+legs with well-salted skin in my mini convection oven. I didn't buy it for "air-frying" but for its quick, even-cooking and crispification abilities. It doesn't need added fat because of all the fat in the skin & thighs, and it ends up crispier and more-evenly cooked than oven-roasted in 1/2 the time and 1/4 the energy costs and is much easier/quicker to clean than the oven. What's not to like? I also use a George Forman Grill - it has that handy little tray to collect all the fat, which I pour over my beef/salmon burger before digging in.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jun-08-19 at 13:01.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 14:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I satisfy my desire for chips or fries by roasting chicken thighs or backs+legs with well-salted skin in my mini convection oven. I didn't buy it for "air-frying" but for its quick, even-cooking and crispification abilities. It doesn't need added fat because of all the fat in the skin & thighs, and it ends up crispier and more-evenly cooked than oven-roasted in 1/2 the time and 1/4 the energy costs and is much easier/quicker to clean than the oven. What's not to like? I also use a George Forman Grill - it has that handy little tray to collect all the fat, which I pour over my beef/salmon burger before digging in.

Brand recommendation please? You got me with "easy to clean" & "1/2 the time."
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-19, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Brand recommendation please? You got me with "easy to clean" & "1/2 the time."
It is a "Flavorwave Oven Turbo" The top needs to be cleaned by hand (a little dish detergent and hot water on a sponge), but everything else goes in the dishwasher. They often go on sale for 25-50% off.
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-19, 07:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Just to clarify, I don't go to the vegan doc anymore for the simple reason that he wants me to become vegan, or at least vegetarian. He says I can have a small serving of meat once a month. He says a plant-based diet is the most healthful. I said I agree, and that I do eat a plant-based diet ... I just pass it through a cow first!

Also, I'm a technical writer and have been in the business for about 40 years now, so I understand the problem with fuzzy terminology. But, they're commonly referred to and recognized as Air Fryers, so who cares? I like how it cooks my meat. No, it's not fried. Is a frying pan not a frying pan if it's non-stick and you don't have to use fat to fry in it? (You'll never catch me NOT using fat to fry in, just sayin'.)
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-19, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
Just to clarify, I don't go to the vegan doc anymore for the simple reason that he wants me to become vegan, or at least vegetarian. He says I can have a small serving of meat once a month. He says a plant-based diet is the most healthful. I said I agree, and that I do eat a plant-based diet ... I just pass it through a cow first!
It is more efficient and tasty to have the cow quadruple process it for us.

In April a Brazilian fashion model dropped dead on the cat walk during their fashion week. Everyone was surprised because he ate a "healthy vegan diet". I tried "healthy" vegetarian and vegan diets in the past, carefully combining proteins when that was prescribed and supplementing with vitamins, but I never felt good. Even at my ideal weight, some days I had so little energy that raising my arm to brush my hair was exhausting. Within an hour of eating a succulent piece of prime rib beef, I felt alive again and became a near-carnivore.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jun-09-19 at 07:18.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-19, 07:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Just to clarify, I don't go to the vegan doc anymore for the simple reason that he wants me to become vegan, or at least vegetarian.

Husband went a few times to a vegan doctor when he couldn't see his regular doctor. He really pushed the vegan diet. Made us both a little uncomfortable. A vegan diet seems to work well for him - he looked healthy & was slender & energetic. But like you said, we have a plant-based diet - it just passes thru the cow first.