Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 17:42

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 300/282/170
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default darn plateaus

Hello, fellow LC'rs:

I'm really frustrated and would like to learn more about weight plateaus. I began the Atkins plan about two days before April 1, and have lost 12 pounds to date, but most of that came off in the first 10 days.

Now, despite spending 20-30 minutes a day on the bike (five out of seven days), there is no movement on my scale. I can't believe it. I have tried eating fewer than 1,000 calories a day, then upping that to more than 3,000 calories, with a low carb intake of less than 20 carbohydrates a day, but so far, things are going slowly.

I know the theory is that I am supposed to ingest a lot of calories, but I feel I can't eat anymore than I do now which ranges from 1,000 to 3,000 a day. I have not cheated to date, and don't have any hunger.

I am really interested in information on plateaus. How long do they last? What is the physiology behind the plateaus? I know that metabolism slows, however, I never saw photos of someone like an anorexic who doesn't lose weight eventually.

At what point does the body kick in and stop the body's resistance to losing weight? Is weight loss inevitable if one just sticks to a high protein/low carbohydrate way of eating?

I'd love to find out more. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 09:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here's the good news: THIS IS NOT A PLATEAU.

A plateau or stall is six weeks or more of NO loss of weight or inches.

The first weight loss on ANY diet is water. And that includes Atkins. If you have read the book, you know that Atkins does not recommend exercise during the first week becasue your body is adjusting to many new things as it leaves off producing too much insulin and switches into producing glucagon which uses stored fat for energy.

Stop agonizing about your weight every day. Only count the once per week weighing - like every Sunday morning (keeps you honest on Saturday night.)

If you ARE exercising, then you are probably LOSING fat but GAINING muscle. And your muscles have been grabbing protein to make repairs that are probably long overdue - especially if you have been on low cal or low fat diets. Fat weighs LESS, but takes up more room than muscle. So believe the fact that your clothes are stretching instead of a stupid mechanical device that is only approximate.

DO NOT GO DOWN TO 1000 CALORIES. I begin to wonder if you have read the book because it is clearly stated that calories DON'T count, at least at first. Your body will think there is a famine and will go into starvation protection. in other words, it will adjust to the low cal intake and REFUSE to lose anything.

Please go and read the book - Atkins, Eades on PPP or any other LC book. And do EXACTLY what they say to. When you have gone for 6 weeks and perfectly followed the plan and still not lost weight or size, THEN you can come back and report a stall or plateau. But I'm betting you will have lost weight each week.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

<i>At what point does the body kick in and stop the body's resistance to losing weight? </i>

Good question: it's a little different for everyone. Generally, your body will slow your metabolism if it perceives that it's being starved. That's why gradual weight loss is the best way to go. I know it's frustrating, but contrary to what the multi-billion-dollar diet industry wants us to believe, it is *not* a simple matter of low calories + exercising your butt off = rapid loss of fat. There are too many different factors affecting one's metabolism: genetics, lifestyle, nutrition, hormones, medications, stress, other health problems...

It's been less than a month; you have to give it time. I hope, in the meantime, low carbing is making you feel a lot better overall.

Cheers,
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 18:08

BF:
Default Thanks for the input

Good advice, all. I generally don't count calories. I only tried it a few days because in truth I guess I want things to happen too quickly.

I will go back to the book and the good news is that my clothes are much more comfortable, I can walk better, etc. For now, I'll keep on keeping on and try to take a longterm view of things. For now, I'm making out my will:

1. I will lose enough weight to comfortably cross my legs

2. I will buy a long dress and dance in the new year instead of welcoming the new year in in front of the TV with a pizza

3. I will improve my health so I can spend more good time with my family

4. I will aim to be a partner with my doctor in pursuit of health, etc.

To life!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 20:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/139/125
BF:32
Progress: 30%

Wow, good for you Annet! I did Atkins last year and lost about 14 of my 25 lbs. I decided to take a break and try to keep the weight off, which i did, for the most part. now spring is back and so i'm back to dr. a to try to lose 12 more. Needless to say in almost a month or more i've only lost 4 lbs. I WANT TO SCREAM!!!! So, whether I should have or not, I went off on sat & sun and restarted back mon with the LC and my journal. I realized looking back at my old entries over the month that I said I hadn't been cheating but....I really had. They were just so minor, minor enough to slow me down to almost reverse. So my advice is, keep a strict journal, even of your "cheats" so you can look back and give an honest answer if you plateau or not. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 04:40
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Here's to you Annet!

Wow Annet! I *love* your WILL!!
I raise my glass of paleolithic punch to you (PPLP)!!! *cheers*

I may adopt a modified version of that for myself if you don't mind! Your loss is fantastic, and I'm sure as you continue on in your woe / wol, it will continue. slowly (the best way) but surely! The way I look at this, if it is a wol, i have the rest of it to wait! After all....I spent the first 34 years getting to this point right?? I think we 'owe' ourselves a little time spent on the other side of the fence. I'm glad that you are starting to feel better already. I myself had a stint of plateau / stall also, for about 5wks. OY the frustration. I battle with hypothyroidism also...not that just trying to lose the weight isn't hard enough! LOL. BUT...just keep pluggin along. You'll see

I count my calories, only to ensure that I am getting enough in a day. Do you use fitday.com for that? It can be very helpful. Please keep us informed on how you are doing ok? Best of luck!

Hugs,
nill
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 11:55

BF:
Default on the move again

Hi folks:

I just answered my own question, I think, about the stall I reported earlier. It lasted aboaut two weeks, but ended after I did a number of things. First, as suggested, I did go back to the book (the revised Atkins edition) and realized I had been snacking on a processed meat which I cut out. I also had been taking an allergy drug which I cut out.

I also went back to the induction phase and changed my pattern of exercise. Instead of three times per week on my bike, I cycled every day for the amount of time I could fit in. This added up to at least twice what I had been doing. I really think the exercise was a main element of getting started again.

Anyway, I look different and feel really good already. Will continue to see what next month brings.

Hope it's been a successful month for everyone and even better in May.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 12:08

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sounds the same...

Your story sounds the same as mine. I too have lost almost 15 in the first month, with 10 coming off in the first 2 weeks. The one thing that I am trying now is to watch certain foods and how my body reacts to them. I am trying to stay focused as I have NEVER been on a diet before! I finally came to the realization that I wanted to live out the rest of my life healthy with my husband, so I started the Atkins program with him. Good luck, you are off to a great start!

Have a great day on your LC WOE!

Lo