Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-18, 21:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot18
I have bought K2 at Walmart, so I guess some Walmarts stock it.

I bought some online that I think is better though.

K2 MK7. I read a book awhile ago about Vitamin D and K, and the author recommended getting the MK7 variety.

See Q&A section on Amazon re MK7.

MK7

Both types are important, but I too have read the MK-7 is the one to buy. Especially if I can buy it iwth D3 at a price that is better than buying D and K separately.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-18, 21:48

BF:

Visited a friend today and gave her my two books to read thru. We discussed them, and she can look thru for a couple weeks.

Her kids are younger and can benfit better just due to their age and starting sooner.... her kids both had a great head start. She refused to bottle feed as that was such a bother, to buy, measure, heat , etc. Natural was faster and easier. This method creates pressure on the upper palate, and that pushes the jaw bones apart, creating MORE teeth space.

NO one discussses the benefits of natural feeding of babies--when I went home from the hospital, the nursing staff handed out formula like it was a necessity...... just WRONG.

The second book is JAWS, a title that plays on the movie. It is a tough book to read-- how badly we have strayed from proper eating habits and proper posture. The change in jaw formation, and the crowding of teeth, crooked teeth, and the removal of wisedom teeth. This is unheard of in 3rd world countries that eat the old ways.

Our kids are the next generation of this, and the body is a bit more deformed thru the upper back, the chest, neck and head. After reading a bit, I had to put it down, it really is a disheartening look at the current state of our dental health...... I started looking around at the people I met thru and a day.....

..... who had a jaw like Jay Leno and who had a jaw like Robert Redford......

And honestly I resent the lack of information from the dentists, and the pediatritions, and the OB/GYN and the dental hygenists...... they should ALL know this information and practixe preventiative medicine.... but dont.

Yes frustrated, yet another failure of our medical system.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-18, 21:58

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I remember babies coming back from the nursery unable to wake up because they were full of formula. Kept #4 with me after initial nursery exam!
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 15:40

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I don’t know about K2 (a mountain in Nepal?) but I can say without a doubt that my gums are 100 times healthier since I quit eating wheat and sugar four years ago. I had crappy gums. Yuck.

I know genetics must play a part because my mother and grandmother had gum problems too.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 17:00

BF:

The connection is that we share spit with our parents, and the microbiome that goes with it....then feed them. So lot depends on the specific population of that microbiome AND what they get to eat.

Vitamin K2 deserves to be named after such a grand mountain----it is the critical nutrient that buiilds bone and teeth thruout our life. Calcium wonders all over without a director.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
Off topic, but this is a good opportunity to pass on something I recently learned - chronic breathing difficulty, even that due to untreated congestion - in children can lead to problems in the development of the jaw and skull - including later sleep apnea. So if your child is always "stuffy," get it treated!

FUnny how my friends on this forum have more insight than the pediatritians.

I have talked to DS2, and he tunes out when I discuss dropping the bread. He is away and his eating is in the hands of the adults providing the food, so figure to have at a change in foods when kids arrive home in another week.

THank you for caring enough to share your wisedom.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 10:42

BF:

Looking a bit harder at the K2 in sauerkraut.

Enjoyed a fresh tasting mild kraut from WHole Foods, but on a return trip to the area, could not fit in our second stop ( WF) and keep to schedule. Hoping to go tomorrow, will see. So for now, dug thru cupboards and found 3 cans. But left me concerned that K2 may be destroyed in the pasturization process. Took a bit of searching to find a reasonably good answer.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dea...a-raw-fed-pack/
Quote:
While there’s no smoking gun of which I’m aware, it appears as if vitamin K2 is retained during pasteurization. See Chris Masterjohn’s definitive article on vitamin K2 (or “Activator X,” as Weston Price knew it) where he notes that everything he’s seen suggests that it is heat-stable. Price himself found that “Activator X” survived pasteurization. And according to Real Milk (a pro-raw, anti-pasteurization dairy site), this article sees “no evidence” that pasteurization affects “Activator X” status.

#53   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 10:54

BF:

That's good nfo to know and I've been wondering if it has to be totally raw to contain the K2. I have 2 cans that I'll think better of, after I eat the farmer made kraut we bought.
I've been having an urge for red cabbage lately but it's always made with too much sugar. I think I'm going to find a small head and find a way to make it with caraway seeds and some other flavoring to give that certain taste. I hate to use artificial sweeteners but might try it this time.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 11:02

BF:

My last can had caraway---a seed I oftened used in baking breads so I am familiar with it. In the kraut it gave a subtly different flavor. A nice flavor.

Pasturizing often destroys vitamins, so I do wonder if some is lost.

And when most items are fermented the acid levels change until the organism that produces all the goodness and the acidity are also killed. THough now I would like to know if killed as in dead, or as in dormant????
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 11:03

BF:

I pickled and canned summer squash pickles, and love them except for the amount of sugar. Didnt know how to make them safely without following a recipe.

You have non-sugar options??

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Jul-16-18 at 15:28.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 14:10

BF:

I've been buying and eating bread and butter pickles made with Splenda and they're great. Mt. Olive brand.
Maybe you could try making a few jars with that and see if you like it. In fact I just had some chopped up and mixed with tuna and mayo. I can't tell the difference between them and the real sugar type.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 14:39

BF:

That brand seems familiar-- will look for them.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 15:00

BF:

Kroger stores only have their Kroger brand no sugar B&B pickles and they're OK but a funny after taste.
Randall's grocery store which is owned by Safeway has the Mt. Olive brand at my store, they also sell G. Hughs sugar free BBQ sauce for about $3 when Amazon is selling it for $12-18 per bottle. That's 400%+ profit those sellers are making.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 15:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I pickled and canned summer squash pickles, and love them except for the amount of sugar. Didnt know how to make them safely without following a recipe.

You have nono-sugar options??

Pickles, either fermented or made with vinegar, are considered preserved because of the acid, not any sugar that might be added. Unlike jams, which need the sugar to keep them from spoiling. Personally, I would either leave out the sugar called for in a recipe, or severely cut back on the amount. And nowadays would use erythritol or stevia if I used anything. Or, more likely, I would look for a different recipe :-)

Answering another post of yours: the Germans often add a chopped apple to their red cabbage, not sugar. If apples are on your OK list you might try that.

ETA: The red cabbage post was from Meme; sorry about that.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 15:22

BF:

Thank you Verbena...
An apple, yes, Now I think I can have some red Cabbage again!