Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Low Carb Gluten Free Soy Free Flour Tortillas with Piccies!

click image to enlarge.

Here's another bread recipe for you guys. Anyone knows a Texan without their tortilla is like a cowboy without a horse! This makes my dreams come true. I now have bread, buns, tortillas, chips, pasta! There is no reason why I can't live happily eating these delicious vittles for the rest of my life (btw, I've only been at this 12 or so years...slow learner Ha!)

Low Carb GF SF NF Flour Tortillas
Serves – 8, 5” Tortillas (8 per recipe)
Prep Time – 10 Minutes
Cook Time – 30 Minutes
Difficulty – Even Goofy could make these

Ingredients
4 oz Cream Cheese or Mascarpone
1/4c Egg Whites or Carton Egg Whites
2 tsp Powdered Egg Whites
½ tsp Baking Powder
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
1/8 tsp Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
1-1/2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp Hot Water
2 tsp Knoxx Unflavored Gelatin

In medium size mixing bowl, beat cream cheese to break it up and soften it.

Add liquid egg whites a little at a time until well incorporated.

Add salt.

Add garlic powder.

Add baking powder.

Add powdered egg white.

Add parmesan cheese.

Add coconut flour.

Mix well for about one to two minutes.

Add gelatin powder to hot water and stir until gelatin melts.

Add gelatin to batter.

Beat well until batter thickens and becomes fluffy – about one minute.

Now you’re ready to make tortillas!

Cut parchment into squares.

Divide batter evenly into 8 mounds.

Scoop a mound onto parchment and with the back of an offset spatula, smear a tortilla into about a 5” round. Try to keep it even thickness and try not to get any creases in the parchment.

See? A great looking 5” round.

Nuke for 30 seconds.

Remove from microwave and turn tortilla face down into a hot non-stick skillet. Parchment will still be attached. That’s ok!

After about 10 seconds, peel off the parchment paper. It comes right off.

Watch to make sure the tortilla doesn’t burn. They cook quickly.

Flip tortilla and cook on the second side.

Now here’s the important part! Place cooked tortillas in a covered dish. Please use glass or pyrex, hot foods and plastics are killers. (Ask how I know! Ahem…breast cancer…). Let the flour tortillas sit in a covered dish to steam and become more pliable while you are cooking the remaining tortillas.

There you have it! Soft flour tortillas. Great with just butter, but awesome with any filling – egg or otherwise!

Wow! So you want something more? What? Maybe you want a crispy tostada or a taco? Well, I have to say, the corn tortillas are better than these for that, however, they aren’t almost Induction Friendly. These are! Soooo…

To make Tostadas and Crispy Taco Shells

Preheat oven to 250°.

Take tortillas and lightly spray with olive oil.

For tostadas, leave tortillas flat and place on a foil lined baking tray.

For crispy tacos make a foil snake the size of your desired taco and gently drap the tortillas over the form.

Bake tostadas and taco shells at 250° until crispy – about 45 minutes. Please watch them. They will turn dark which will alter the taste. If browning too much, cover lightly with a foil tent and allow them to continue to crisp. You will need to re-crisp them before use if you aren’t using immediately.

Olé!!!

Nutritional Information

Full Recipe (8, 5" Tortillas)
Cals 562 Fat 45.2g Carbs 11.3g Fiber 4.5g Net Carbs 6.8g Protein 29.7g

Single Tortilla
Cals 70 Fat 5.7g Carbs 1.4g Fiber .6g Net Carb .8g Protein 3.7g

Notes -
I’m gonna give these 4 forks just cuz I can! Are they EXACTLY like flour tortillas? No! They’re made of coconut flour and cream cheese!

Do they approximate it pretty good? Oh yeah! Do they do their FUN-ctional Food job without any whinin’ or back talk? Yep. As long as you don’t over fill them with wet guts, they work just dandy!

So, should I really be giving these tortillas 3 forks instead of 4? Mmmmm lemme tink bout that for awhile. Nah, I’m still stickin’ to my 4 fork rating. Why? Cuz hello! They are less than a carb and under 75calories per tortilla!!! And there is not a speck of soy, gluten, or flax anywhere. I said ANYWHERE! When was the last time you could go to the store, look on a package of prepared anything tortilla, and make that same claim?

Well ya can’t. That’s why I worked so long to come up with a workable tortilla that won’t aid and abet these little mofos I might still be harboring inside me somewhere (breast cancer cells).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 14:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/220/143 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 34%

This is an amazin recipe...I will try it!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-12, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Can't wait to hear back from you. Hope you like them. They are easier than anything I've ever tried to make!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-12, 18:07

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 270/270/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Hello, friend! Would you please kindly share with us your recipes for buns, bread, and pasta?

On the other hand, do you know how I can make corn bran dough smooth, non-crumbly, non-dry? (I tried to make corn bran tortillas with corn bran + butter + water but tortillas are too gritty, crumbly, and dry.)

Thanks a lot in advance for all of your help! Best,

Esteban