Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Heinz no sugar added ketchup?

OMG - I don't know how long they've had it, but my small town store JUST started carrying it. If it's bad for me I don't want to know!! I have missed ketchup a LOT and have found a couple low carb ones that were just yucky. Best part is that I've always (all my life) used a family "BBQ sauce" that is made with ketchup, oil, spices, vinegar and sugar. With this new ketchup and a couple packets of Spenda in place of the sugar, I finally feel I can indulge again! I haven't worked out the carb counts yet, but with the ketchup only being 1 carb per TBS, and then stretching it out with oil and vinegar it's going to be even less (plus ups my fat a touch). I had it on a steak last night and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. And yes, I actually AM excited enough about ketchup to be posting about it! Seriously, though, if anyone can tell me something compelling about why NOT to use it, I'll take it under advisement, but this is the FIRST "low carb product" I've really bought - I don't take the junky breads and bars and what not, so I think I'm okay.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 11:35

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

aaaaah the little things in life. Who would have thunk it would be ketsup! Seems like you will be "ok" as with all things portion control is key. Happy Dipping
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 07:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

it is sweetened with splenda, so i don;t think it should be a worry.
i love it on fried eggs/ omelets!
and with jicama home fries
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 09:28

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I don't use it alot, but I'm not a ketchup fiend, but the stuff tastes good, low in sugar and IMO better than the alternative and has not bothered me at all.

Whats this about ketchup, vinager and spices?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 10:18

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

Dip Away!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 20:11

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

oh, my BBQ sauce (can also double the oil and use it as a salad dressing) is 1 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup sugar (so obviously and equivalent amount of sweetener of your choice), 2/3 cup vinegar, 2tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 scant tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, a couple tablespoons of lemon juice (optional - I'll skp). I've used it on steaks, chicken, etc. 'course I also used it on potatoes - weird, and no longer an option ;-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-14, 20:21

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
oh, my BBQ sauce (can also double the oil and use it as a salad dressing) is 1 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup sugar (so obviously and equivalent amount of sweetener of your choice), 2/3 cup vinegar, 2tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 scant tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, a couple tablespoons of lemon juice (optional - I'll skp). I've used it on steaks, chicken, etc. 'course I also used it on potatoes - weird, and no longer an option ;-)

Ok, I'm going to try that tomorrow, I have some liquid sweetener I will give it a try with and see if and how much I need.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 05:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I just about cried with joy in the supermarket when I found Heinz SF ketchup at my grocery store! For ten years, I've been bringing it back from the states every time I go. I swear, though, the American stuff is way better. I'm going to bring some back this summer and try them side-by-side. The Canadian stuff doesn't have that clovey Heinz zing. It's not much better than the President's Choice stuff I had been using.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 05:46

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

I can only find the Presidents Choice ketchup in my area. Luckily, its never caused me any issues, so I hope you'll do just fine with it too. I use mine to to make LC bbq sauce for ribs and chicken also. I don't measure amounts, but I use about 1 cup of ketchup and add a few shots of worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic, ground pepper, a sprinkling of onion powder and drizzle in apple cider or malt vinegar (I find the darker vinegars add to the flavor) then whisk it all together. I don't add any additional sweeteners because I like my bbq sauce on the tangy side rather than the sweet side. This makes enough to cover 2 full racks of ribs or about 6-8 chicken breast generously.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 08:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
The Canadian stuff doesn't have that clovey Heinz zing. It's not much better than the President's Choice stuff I had been using.

I too have only been able to find the PC/Blue Menu stuff. However .. they've changed their formula very recently; it's now sweetened with stevia instead of sucralose. Haven't tried it yet, but I will as soon as my current bottle is gone.

FWIW, I noticed that Metro stores are now carrying their own Irresistibles/Life-Smart brand of no-sugar added ketchup. I have no idea how it compares to the Blue Menu one, or to Heinz.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-14, 18:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Okay so .. my local NoFrills store now carries the Heinz no-sugar added as well as the Blue Menu w. stevia ketchup.

Ummm .. haven't tried the stevia Blue Menu version. Bought the Heinz no-sugar added ketchup and I'm now officially converted . It's absolutely awesomely the best. As Kristine noted, it has a clove-y spicy taste that the other products can't imitate.

Call me humbled, but edumacated

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 18:19

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I usually don't buy sugar-free items (sugar substitutes don't agree with me) and avoid corn syrup. But I did find an Italian ketchup, Mutti, that's low in sugar and w/o chemicals or additives and it tastes really good, not too sweet. I like it with scrambled eggs and also for salad dressings and cocktail sauce. I think you can buy it online too.