Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-22, 05:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Food Pics - An Ongoing Challenge

Do you ever find yourself parked in the kitchen, fridge door propped open, mindlessly munching out of containers? Conversely, do you often enjoy cooking and serving "pretty" meals? I fall into both of those categories sometimes. I consider the former to be a bad habit, and usually leads to poorer choices. So here's a little challenge: more often than not, try to prepare a nice plate or spread for yourself (and/or others), and if you're so inclined, share a photo with us.

I enjoy photos of other peoples' meals. It inspires creativity, and can be a fun reminder of foods you know you enjoy, but basically forgot about.

No rules here, though some suggestions:
- Come and go as you please, there are no dates on this challenge.
- You will need to find an external site for uploading your pics. I use imgbb.com. See my post here for some tips on using imgbb.
- Please reduce the size of your photos to something reasonable, maybe 500 x something. We don't need electron microscopy on the individual cells on your meat and veggies. (Hint - if you use imgbb, you can do this right before you upload.)
- If you require any assistance with photos, please post to the thread above. If I can't help you, someone else probably can.
- It would be nice if you include a link to a recipe, if you used one. However, pics of easy, simple foods are also whole-heartedly encouraged.

While we all do the mindless kitchen munch once in a while, remember that you are worth a nice meal as much as a guest would be. You deserve it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-22, 06:01
Forum Moderator

BF:

I'll go first. This was from January. My food lately has been pretty boring/fast/easy... plus I was just procrastinating on starting this thread.

Beef has gotten really expensive here. I found some reduced beef shank, turned the bones into broth, and the meat into a Mexican shredded beef (barbacoa). DH had his on tortillas; I was happy with this:

There was lots of extra sauce, and I didn't want to waste all that nutritious broth, so I used it to steam-poach eggs. I'm a huge fan of poaching eggs on top of thick, rich sauces. Think shakshuka. Technique is easy: bring your sauce to a simmer in a sauce pan, let it simmer for a bit if it's too thin, crack your eggs on top, put a lid on it, let it cook gently until the eggs are cooked to your liking. This was delicious, rich, very filling. I wasn't even hungry for dinner after this.

The barbacoa recipe is close to Amy and Jacky's, but it's sort of like chili in the sense that there are lots of variations and you can't really go wrong.

I hope that was the last time I purchase cilantro! I froze the rest of it, but I planted some last year. I heard that it self-seeds and you'll be cursed with it forever. I hope it grows on its own.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-22, 16:50
Forum Moderator

BF:

I made Maria Emmeritch's PSMF bread on the weekend, and really liked it. I turned it into a corned beef & cheese sandwich for dinner.

#4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-22, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 286/285/145 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress: 1%

All pics look really good 😊
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 03:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks, Marsha!

I started this thread and then proceeded to go on a stretch of either ugly food or no time/inclination to take pics. Funny, I finally made something photo-worthy and it was barbacoa again. This time, I found some wraps for it (Promise brand - product is new and not on the website yet). I grilled them up, put the lettuce inside, and dunked it in salsa and sour cream.

#6   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 10:01

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Fun! I missed this thread. I'll subscribe. I need to make a new place for my photos, my old worn out webserver only does HTTP and now all browsers don't like to display "insecure" HTTP content inside of HTTPS pages, like this one.

Cheers and good cooking and photoging
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-22, 04:03
Forum Moderator

BF:

Nice cool Cobb salad with some homemade Italian dressing:

#8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-22, 05:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
...We don't need electron microscopy on the individual cells on your meat and veggies....

Great idea. Recently my meals have taken a simple approach, eggs, meat and some simple veg. Hope to get some good ideas here and maybe share one or two

subscribed.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-22, 03:21
Forum Moderator

BF:

Chicken zoodles alfredo

(ETA) I posted the alfredo sauce recipe here.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Jul-31-22 at 03:58.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 01:47
Forum Moderator

BF:

I got creative to use up 4 dying cucumbers that I got in a reduced-price mixed-produce box at the grocery store.

Lunch yesterday was a cucumber salad (sesame/tamari dressing) with smoked salmon. Not pictured: I forgot the sesame seeds on top until after I took the pic. Also not pictured, the fork after I gave up on the chopsticks. Salad was too slippery.

Dinner was homemade tzatziki, chaffles as my pita replacement, capocollo/cheese roll-ups, blueberries.

#11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 17:28

BF:

Very Nice!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-23, 01:09
Forum Moderator

BF:

Taco night!

My taco shell is a Folios wrap. The instructions on the back explain how to crisp them up. These are a tad pricey here, but a nice treat. P:E diet friendly, too, at 13 g protein and 130 cal (using the 10x rule of thumb).

The first time I tried them, I learned the hard way that one taco is plenty! It's very filling.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-06-23, 23:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Last night's dinner was Thai Fish Stew

Despite it being a favourite of mine, I haven't made this for a while, but I did last night and it was delicious

I've also shared the recipe here. It's very easy and quick!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-14-23, 04:56
Forum Moderator

BF:

That looks great, Demi. I haven't done Thai food in quite a while. I have to confess to cheating and using Thai curry paste, but I'll have to add that and some coconut milk to my shopping list.

Brunch for me yesterday: Sausage Mock-muffin with egg, cottage cheese, rasps

#15   ^
Old Wed, May-17-23, 18:17

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

"Potstickers" - sausage seasoned with tamari sauce and folded into provolone cheese.