Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-22, 04:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Second Deirdra's suggestion of adding egg whites. For the past two years focusing on Protein first, my first meal of the day is often 2 whole eggs, and 4-6 oz of carton egg whites. That limits the fat from eggs while still eating the full complement of nutrients in the yolk, then adding pure low fat protein for satiety. I also buy low fat cottage cheese and yogurt at Costco for a high protein start to the day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-22, 07:15

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Second Deirdra's suggestion of adding egg whites. For the past two years focusing on Protein first, my first meal of the day is often 2 whole eggs, and 4-6 oz of carton egg whites. That limits the fat from eggs while still eating the full complement of nutrients in the yolk, then adding pure low fat protein for satiety. I also buy low fat cottage cheese and yogurt at Costco for a high protein start to the day.

I’ll look into the egg whites option, thanks!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-22, 10:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Chicken breast prices went from $2.99 a pound to $3.59 just a bit ago. I think the reason is bird flu. If so, egg prices might soon shoot up too.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-22, 10:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

In Maine we had been hearing that turkey breast would go to $6 per pound and whole turkey to $5 per pound by Thanksgiving. We bought early and were able to get three turkey breasts for about $2 per pound and an 18-pound turkey for less than $8, if you can believe it. I looked yesterday and saw they had a bunch of turkey breasts left, but they were almost four times the price they were before (around $7 per pound now).
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-22, 07:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
In Maine we had been hearing that turkey breast would go to $6 per pound and whole turkey to $5 per pound by Thanksgiving. We bought early and were able to get three turkey breasts for about $2 per pound and an 18-pound turkey for less than $8, if you can believe it. I looked yesterday and saw they had a bunch of turkey breasts left, but they were almost four times the price they were before (around $7 per pound now).

We ended up doing ham and a Jenny O turkey loin for Thanksgiving, way easier and about the same price as regular turkey. It went over really well so we may have started a new tradition 😂

I found local, cage free brown eggs for $2.79dz at the local butcher shop, so happy about that! I bought 3 dozen. I noticed an older lady had 6 dozen in her cart, along with several packages of meat. She looked awesome for her age and I’m guessing she was another low carber 🙂
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-22, 12:05

BF:

I don’t know if this will help anyone but if you’re in the U.S. and have a Sam’s Club near by, they’re running an online 60% off membership deal right now. I just got a year membership for $20, instead of the regular $50 price! The only catch is it will auto-renew every year, But you can cancel anytime and aren’t obligated to renew. I don’t know if you can get the discount if you go into the store to get a membership or if it’s an online only offer? I downloaded their app after getting my membership and it has my digital card there, that I think I can use in person at the store. I believe they’ll mail me a real card too.

I’m going tomorrow to see what low carb funds I can score 🙂
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-22, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ohh, that's a good deal. I have seen deals on Costco when they opened a new warehouse in the area, and once on Groupon, but usually it’s a free tote bag.

I have a looong, warehouse shopping list. But for bargain proteins, canned fish, eggs, egg whites (in cartons, 8 to a box, in Costco, it’s in a corner of the egg and dairy room, took me a few years to realize it was even there) super large bag of protein powder (be sure it is a brand and flavor you like first) large containers of Fage Total 0% yogurt, Daisy 2% cottage cheese, and at Costco I never leave without one of their famous $4.99 Rotisserie Chickens. (Do not Google to learn how Costco raises and processes this chicken at such a cheap price! Just assume Sam's chicken is free range and enjoy)

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Dec-08-22 at 05:54.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-22, 06:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I wound up making my own smoothie mix. Protein smoothies have been essential for keeping me fueled when my digestive system is confused. Erratic appetite means junk is more attractive, but I don't consider protein powder junk, thanks to a year of using it as a basis for my diet.

This guided me to an actually healthy concoction, the hot chocolate protein smoothie. (I may not have invented it, but -- for me -- I have perfected it.)

Here's my protein powder tips:

We probably have to hunt down plain protein powder. At least, I've never seen it anywhere but online. I was looking for bulk buys and frugality at first, but it led me to other insights.

I had been eating protein bars, but even with good ingredients like actual whey protein and stevia as a sweetener, I was eating too many. I cut them out and improved, but it made me realize I had to get back to sources. Speaking of which, many protein bars use soy instead of dairy. It's cheaper and it's bad for me. So dairy/non-dairy has to be the first choice. Financially consider that Diet Doctor recommends increasing plant-based protein by 30%. It's not as bio-available as dairy is to people who tolerate dairy.

They have not yet come out with fish powder. I doubt they will.

I started looking at ingredients that might be giving me trouble in my shake mix, too. I tried all kind of muscle building stuff, but I didn't like whey isolate. It made lumps in my cocoa and anything resistant like that might be giving me a fight, too? So I wound up with whey protein powder, period. So now the ingredients to my morning shake mix is six:

whey powder
cocoa
d-ribose (metabolic rebuilding per doctor, yet seems to get along with me as a sweetener, and does not spike me)
heavy cream
adaptogen herb of the day
flavoring -- this morning, cayenne

Compare that list with what is listed on a typical protein shake, and I got the strong feeling a lot of my money was going to that sludge in the bottom of my cup. The kind I had to watch out for, or it would clog my sink. Granted, I was having it twice a day with a real meal in between, but that's got to be something Not Good.

My new mix has no sludge.

I concluded that there was more in the way of filler, sweetener, vitamins, stabilizers and emulsifiers to make it easy to mix and enhance the flavor than I had any idea was there. By creating my simpler recipe, the same cup satisfied me longer. Despite what it said on the label, I wasn't getting as much protein their way as my way.

When I'm low, I shouldn't cook. At the least, messes happen when I'm least able to burn energy cleaning it up. But simple and delicious meals are in the reach of everyone.

Also, cocoa is full of antioxidants, and is mostly theobromine, a kinder caffeine. It let me give up coffee Since I have it every day, I use half organic and half dutched, which is low on antioxidants but big on lowering the bitterness, and enhancing the richness.

It turned into a great meal for me, thanks to all the insights about protein JEY has shared in this thread.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-23, 12:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Update: I ran out of my plain whey protein and went back to the mix for what turned into a week of supply chain messes. Only, I couldn't. I'm throwing out my emergency stash and building a new one.

My first cup tasted like it had a pound of sugar in it and my skin got itchy and my stomach upset. If I am away from something and return, it shows me what it's really made of.

And yet, the basic mix improved my health for a crucial year. It was my experiments that made me think otherwise, and I'm glad I did try homemade. Turned out to make a difference.

I think it was because of the protein. So now that I'm stocked up again (I missed it so!) it's back to doing its good work as an actual breakfast and beverage.

Takes a lot of the curse off giving up coffee and I get a jolt of protein in a way I can get down in the morning. Which also does me good.