Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-15-21, 10:57

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Type 2 & getting old

I'll be 68 tomorrow & earlier this week my doctor (love her sense of humor!) informed me that I am indeed getting older. This came up partly because I complained that low carb & Metformin didn't seem to be working as well anymore. She said I will likely need to start insulin in the future. Not something I'm looking forward to due to my needle phobia & lack of organization. I know the latter is needed to keep from over or under dosing insulin.

My Metformin can be increased to 2000 mg (I'm taking 1500 now) before caving in to my ailing pancreas, so I've got some time to learn more about getting old with T2.

Anyone have any links or books to suggest? I do have Dr. B's book, but we're in the middle of remodeling & it disappeared into a box somewhere.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-15-21, 11:17

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

On the needle side, the good news is that the needles commonly used now are so thin that you can seldom even feel them going in. Poking your finger for the BG measurements is almost always more painful.

I'd recommend getting more radical with lowering the carbs if that will keep you off insulin. But taking insulin is far from the end of the world.

As for the organization, I have the same problem. I keep a calendar on the wall just above the scale and every morning I weigh myself and check my sugars. I then record this on the calendar and also decide what my insulin dose for the day will be and record it there as well. The problem I have is that I then need to remember to actually take my insulin when I go downstairs and occasionally I forget. Less often I become unsure whether I've taken it or not. So at the new house I have on of my little dorm fridges from my college days up next to the scale so that I can take my insulin right then and there and I'm also going to take a block of wood and drill seven holes in it and then on Saturdays I'm going to load it with seven syringes for the next week so that I have an easy record of whether I've actually taken my insulin on any given day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-22, 10:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Back in the beginning of June I was having a lot of trouble getting my bg down & feeling very depressed about it. My metformin had been upped to 2000mg but didn't seem to be helping. My diabetes NP suggested Ozempic. I'd never heard of it & after she explained it to me I went for it. And I love it!

I got over the needle thing quickly (thanks wban!) & side effects were minimal. I'm eating less without hunger or cravings, my bg is down to normal & I'm finally starting to lose weight.

I'm very lucky that VA is paying for it - wouldn't be able to afford it on my own.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-22, 10:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bonnie, I've dug into fasting. Well worth digging into.

Insulin resistance is real not just for driving up blood sugars but the organs also are effected.

I suggest looking at Dr Jason Fung material.

Mild exercise like walking uses up blood sugar by the muscle cells.

Vinegar in the meal, and cinnamon plateau the blood sugar spikes.

Sugar. And fruits, and honey. Are a problem. Mitochondria , the power pack of cells, are damaged by sugar .

I've had to find my way as my a1c had crept up. My doctor only commented with concern and then offered nothing. So.... I started learning..

More And more studies coming out on how the body reacts to the modern foods readily available .

Hopefully something here will spark some sleuthing on mr. Google.