Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-22, 17:04

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Vegetarian Women Have 33 Percent Higher Hip Fracture Risk, 20-Year Study Finds

https://www.iflscience.com/vegetari...udy-finds-64848

Quote:
The study followed 26,318 women over a period of around 20 years. All had completed a food frequency questionnaire originally sent out by the World Cancer Research Fund back in the mid-90s, so the researchers could sort them into three groups: meat-eaters, pescatarians, and vegetarians.

Over the whole period, 822 hip fractures were recorded in the study cohort – about three percent of the overall group. After accounting for variables like age, physical activity levels, socio-economic status, lifestyle factors like smoking, and so on, one group stood out above the rest as uniquely likely to suffer hip fractures: the vegetarians.

I am surprised that the vegetarians stood out so much. I assume that with only the choice of only meat-eater, pescatarians, and vegetarians that the Standard American Diet (SAD) were the meat-eaters.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-22, 13:38

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Coffee & donut
Burger & fries
Pizza for dinner...

Where's the meat? And if someone is "health conscious" it would be a black bean burger.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Aug-14-22 at 13:49.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-22, 14:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Someone I work with broke her hip while jogging, she's in her 20's I believe. She didn't fall, just "stepped oddly". I think she's been vegan most of her life.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-22, 09:21

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I keep thinking about this because I have a friend who broke her hip around age 60. To be fair, tripping over a box and falling on a concrete floor would have probably caused most of us to break something - she just happened to fall on her hip.

However, she's also always been extremely thin (due to IMO eating barely enough to stay alive), and never ate much at all in the way of meat. Since retirement and widowhood, she considers a cup of ramen or plain tomato soup to be a perfectly adequate meal on a very regular basis, and very rarely consumes any animal products at all, especially meat. She hates eggs, and the only fish/seafood she'll eat is crab cakes and tuna salad (once or twice yearly).

If the ones doing this study asked her what she ate, she'd probably truthfully say that she was a meat eater - but in reality, I'd consider her to be closer to a vegetarian (bordering on vegan), who rarely consumes a little bit of meat or other animal products.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-22, 07:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
However, she's also always been extremely thin (due to IMO eating barely enough to stay alive), and never ate much at all in the way of meat.

Which makes for more trouble as we age. For once, being a big girl might pay off for me! I should be proud of my size nine feet, and eat like I want to stay on them.