Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-22, 11:06

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The Ketogenic Diet for Refractory Mental Illness

Quote:
From Dr Georgia Ede:

I am very pleased to share a new open-access paper my colleagues and I just published in Frontiers in Psychiatry describing the potential benefits of a ketogenic diet in patients with bipolar disorder type two, major depression, and schizoaffective disorder: The Ketogenic Diet for Refractory Mental Illness: A Retrospective Analysis of 31 Inpatients (see below)

My friend and colleague Dr. Albert Danan is a seasoned psychiatrist practicing in Toulouse, France. The population he serves is comprised primarily of people of French and North African descent with serious, persistent mental illness, many of whom also suffer from metabolic illnesses such as obesity, hypertension, and type 2 diabetes. After witnessing marked improvement in seizures and autism behaviors in a family member within several weeks of having adopted a ketogenic diet, Dr. Danan became interested in the potential of the diet to improve the psychiatric and metabolic status of his most treatment-resistant patients, regardless of diagnosis. He created a metabolic psychiatry treatment program within his local hospital where patients with chronic mental illness who had exhausted standard psychiatric therapies could attempt a ketogenic diet in a supportive, medically supervised environment.

Our paper analyzing his observations found that this simple, whole-foods ketogenic diet protocol was safe, feasible to administer in a hospital setting, and associated with substantial improvements in psychiatric and metabolic health that Dr. Danan had not witnessed before in any of these patients, many of whom he had worked with for years or even decades. We are grateful to Dr. Eric Westman of Duke University and Dr. Laura Saslow of the University of Michigan for their expert contributions to the analysis and manuscript.

Until now, the evidence in support of ketogenic diets specifically for psychiatric conditions has been limited to hypothesis papers, animal studies, and a small but growing number of individual case reports. This was not a controlled trial, therefore we cannot be certain that the ketogenic diet was responsible for the outcomes. However, we believe this work bridges the gap between case reports and controlled clinical trials, which are already underway.

We hope that the good work of Dr. Danan and his patients will serve to reassure and encourage clinicians and patients around the world to learn more about this approach and to consider the ketogenic diet as a low-risk, high potential benefit tool that may substantially improve quality of life, reduce the need for psychiatric medication, and help counteract the metabolic side effects of psychiatric medication. To that end, we encourage you to share these findings with others.

We are grateful to report that our paper seems to be resonating with people, and in just two days it has already reached an Altmetric score of more than 800.
Quote:
The Ketogenic Diet for Refractory Mental Illness: A Retrospective Analysis of 31 Inpatients

Background and Hypothesis: The robust evidence base supporting the therapeutic benefit of ketogenic diets in epilepsy and other neurological conditions suggests this same metabolic approach may also benefit psychiatric conditions.

Study Design: In this retrospective analysis of clinical care, 31 adults with severe, persistent mental illness (major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, and schizoaffective disorder) whose symptoms were poorly controlled despite intensive psychiatric management were admitted to a psychiatric hospital and placed on a ketogenic diet restricted to a maximum of 20 grams of carbohydrate per day as an adjunct to conventional inpatient care. The duration of the intervention ranged from 6 to 248 days.

Study Results: Three patients were unable to adhere to the diet for >14 days and were excluded from the final analysis. Among included participants, means and standard deviations (SDs) improved for the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale scores from 25.4 (6.3) to 7.7 (4.2), P < 0.001 and the Montgomery-Åsberg Depression Rating Scale from 29.6 (7.8) to 10.1 (6.5), P < 0.001. Among the 10 patients with schizoaffective illness, mean (SD) of the Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) scores improved from 91.4 (15.3) to 49.3 (6.9), P < 0.001. Significant improvements were also observed in metabolic health measures including weight, blood pressure, blood glucose, and triglycerides.

Conclusions: The administration of a ketogenic diet in this semi-controlled setting to patients with treatment-refractory mental illness was feasible, well-tolerated, and associated with significant and substantial improvements in depression and psychosis symptoms and multiple markers of metabolic health.

The study can be read in full here: https://www.frontiersin.org/article...022.951376/full
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-22, 20:50

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is interesting that they include "autistic behaviours" as one of the things being decreased with a ketogenic diet. I have a colleague with two autistic sons who only want to eat pasta, bread and cookies 24/7/365.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 03:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've always been curious about this and I hope it continues to be researched. Doesn't it stand to reason that if anti-seizure drugs are used in psychiatry, that the same ketogenic diet that helps with seizure disorders might also help people with those psychiatric illnesses?

One thing that stood out to me were the supplements: namely fish oil and Mg. Most people would find it impossible to get enough from diet, and guess what the symptoms of deficiency can be? Depression, anxiety, etc. I've taken these for years and believe them to be a useful tool in the toolbox for managing depression and anxiety without medications.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 11:44

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I'll second those two. I lost years of my life to major depression, despite trying numerous drugs, until I found the key in taking enough magnesium in an absorbable form. Calcium is toxic to brain cells when it's in enough of a high concentration, which was apparently what was happening to me.

For years I participated on an Alt Med psychiatry board and one time someone posted a poll asking people which supplement would they want most to have if stranded on a desert island. Magnesium got the most votes.

The studies have been conclusive enough for me for fish oil as well, although there's no definitive amount of EPA, DHA or both that I could determine, so I just take as much as I can afford. I recall one book I read on the subject saying that the fish eating areas of the world have a lower incidence of depression.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 11:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Amen is the only other brain doctor In know of that points out diet is important and non- drug options.

Magnesium is 80% deficient world wide. In US we are only marginally better, at 60% as I remember another source.

It's a feel good mineral, and helps with moderating explosive behavior.

My autistic son generally avoids crap food and gas for years. His autism is not recognizable these days. Took years to reach this point.

Clean whole foods, not from a box, not ready made. Without as many chemicals as possible. He's not perfect as he doesn't eat much organic but , I'm guessing, 90% is real whole foods he cooks or prepares.

The push currently is to get mother's back into the work force. Maybe the health of children having home cooked meals again is more valuable....... Just a thought....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 13:44

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
It is interesting that they include "autistic behaviours" as one of the things being decreased with a ketogenic diet. I have a colleague with two autistic sons who only want to eat pasta, bread and cookies 24/7/365.

Similar experience here with my niece. Amazing how much sugar she puts away on a daily basis to the point of being alarming.

I'm encouraged that Dr. Ede and colleagues are pursuing this for autism and psychiatric issues, as eating healthy whole foods (primarily ketogenic, but hardly at the level of fat macros in the treatment groups), I have little anxiety and a generally positive outlook. This was not always the case years before going very low carb, and life issues were more prominent at that time. While my experience is purely anecdotal, I find solace in being able to remain calm even during stressful times nowadays, and I believe diet has some positive influence. I, too, have supplemented with magnesium and fish oil over the past 10 years to great benefit.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 15:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

"Autistic behaviors" are often symptoms of sensory overload. Metabolic brain issues are going to appear at a weak point. In other people it can be depression or mood swings.

Low carb helped greatly with my anxiety. After the different medicines didn't make a dent, enough niacin really helped me turn a good corner.

Brain is also a body organ.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-22, 15:21

BF:

WB, as for sensory overload my son used to wear head phones to muffle class room noise. He could hear fine to have face to face conversations. Once in college, the sound level seems to be tolerable as he never mentions the headset.

Perhaps he is also less sensative at this point in his life.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-22, 07:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
WB, as for sensory overload my son used to wear head phones to muffle class room noise. He could hear fine to have face to face conversations. Once in college, the sound level seems to be tolerable as he never mentions the headset.

Perhaps he is also less sensitive at this point in his life.

I never used earbuds until a crowded office and I fir into podcasts. Which helped with the noise and my work. But took up energy processing either way.

I've started using Vibes earbuds. They are earplugs with a sound filter that dampens only the loudest and most abrasive noise, yet conversation is more clear. Great for supermarkets and long car rides. No batteries needed.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-22, 09:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm schizoaffective bipolar. My metabolic state does seem to affect my mood state. I think I still have the underlying differences that cause the mood shifts. I'll usually eat ketogenically, and be doing relatively fine. I also drink a lot of coffee, keto and fasting seem to increase my sensitivity to caffeine and I think it acts as an anti-depressant.

Where the underlying differences come in--sometimes I'll decrease my coffee intake for a week or two in order to increase my caffeine sensitivity, I'll get to where I feel like I'm having to drink too much to feel normal. Or I'll go off keto for a day or two--somebody's birthday, Christmas or something. With the caffeine--a lot of the time I'll just get sleepy, but feel otherwise fine with less caffeine. But other times, I'll start feeling sort of depressed and more anxious. With the carbs--similar, sometimes I'll feel fine, sometimes I'll get really paranoid or something, some symptom will increase.

I've always had some level of sound sensitivity, it got ridiculous for a while when my Dad died a couple of years ago. I was wincing if I plunked frozen chicken breasts down on the grill too hard at work.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-22, 09:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I actually think I do better on low fat--not compared to keto, but compared to the SAD diet--mentally. I do brief stints of it. The only low fat carby food that seems worth eating is oatmeal, so I don't do it that often because I don't want rickets and scurvy.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-22, 12:08

BF:

My son eats primarily whole foods. Low carb not very low carb. Avoids bread, likes rice. Big sushi eater, big on stir fry.

He seems to tolerate jams. Likely as it's a small portion of diet.

And he is physically active. Really. He can wrestle a 250# ram and win. It's summer so he's not sitting at a desk, like during the school year.

I still marvel at his ability to seem almost normal in his speech now. Perhaps the brain takes a long time to heal, then the delayed skills need more time to develop.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-22, 06:07

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
James Cook University researchers (in Australia) will undertake clinical trials to determine whether a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates could be used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder

Professor Zoltan Sarnyai is a neuroscientist with JCU’s Australian Institute of Tropical Health and Medicine. He said the research team has received backing from a large US philanthropic fund to examine the mental health benefits of ketogenic therapy (a high fat/low carb diet).

“Typically, it’s 75 per cent fat, 20 per cent protein and 5 per cent carbs per day. The focus is on foods like eggs, meats, dairy, healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, salmon and low-carb vegetables and fruits, as well as sugar-free drinks. It restricts highly processed items and unhealthy fats,” said Professor Sarnyai.

Professor Sarnyai’s work, along with that of another four research teams, is now being backed by a grant from the US-based Baszucki Brain Research Fund – the first clinical pilot trials of ketogenic metabolic interventions for mental health conditions since a single promising study into schizophrenia in 1965.

Professor Sarnyai said patients with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia suffer greatly.

“A person with bipolar disorder will switch between extreme excitement or mania and depression. Schizophrenia is more severe, often involving seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling, or feeling things that aren’t there. People with schizophrenia may also experience disorganised thinking, which can render them unable to care for themselves,” he said.

He said the JCU team was the first to demonstrate the effectiveness of ketogenic therapy in a preclinical animal model for schizophrenia.

“Our results are being translated to a therapy that directly benefit the patient,” said Professor Sarnyai. (Link to paper here).

Research teams from JCU, Stanford University, University of California San Francisco, Edinburgh University and Ohio State University met in May to form a working group to study the effect of a ketogenic diet on bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and major depressive disorders.

“The way ketogenic therapy works is to provide alternative energy sources in the form of so-called ketone bodies (products of fat breakdown) and by helping to circumvent abnormally functioning cellular energy pathways in these mental disorders,” said Associate Professor Carlo Longhitano, Head of Psychiatry at JCU and a co-investigator in the study.

He said only well-designed and controlled clinical trials such as those now underway can allow conclusions that support evidence-based medicine.

“Without them it is just anecdotes and hearsay,” said Dr Longhitano.

https://www.jcu.edu.au/news/release...linical-trials#