Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 05:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Oh, Mary, as a widow myself (now remarried) I just want to add that you are still going through tremendous stress, and now a broken leg!

So make changes slowly and carefully, and now that you know "comfort food" isn't you can come up with better "treats." I give myself a book instead of a food treat, a more indulgent haircut instead of a high carb meal, and so forth.

This turns into a much better way of handling stress!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-13-16, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 194/160/130 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks WereBear. I have started to do the same. I do a lot of crafts and my "stash" has got noticeably larger <G>. But if I am knitting or beading or whatever I cannot use my hands for eating, right?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 04:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Low Carb RN Kelley Pounds posted this morning on "Troubleshooting High Blood Glucose". Good article that summarizes the possible reasons and solutions without going into the science (the rest of her terrific website has that). Her free diabetes management program has more tips and details but this is a good overview of how to get BG under control.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-blood-glucose/
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 06:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary in OK
Thanks WereBear. I have started to do the same. I do a lot of crafts and my "stash" has got noticeably larger <G>. But if I am knitting or beading or whatever I cannot use my hands for eating, right?

Exactly! Now that I am IFing I see if I am really hungry by getting into some pleasant project. And most of the time, the hunger passes.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 08:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Low Carb RN Kelley Pounds posted this morning on "Troubleshooting High Blood Glucose". Good article that summarizes the possible reasons and solutions without going into the science (the rest of her terrific website has that). Her free diabetes management program has more tips and details but this is a good overview of how to get BG under control.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-blood-glucose/

This was an interesting read. She actually recommends an eating schedule that is almost identical to mine, largest meal at breakfast which occurs several hours after awakening with a second smaller meal no later than 6PM, so a 2 meal a day eating plan. I was just pleased to hear someone endorse the schedule that I have found works for me. Often I feel like the odd one out with everyone skipping breakfast if they practice intermittent fasting. Not me. I always eat breakfast. It's my main meal of the day.

Jean
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 09:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmm... maybe I should try that, Jean. I'm always hungry after I get up (a couple hours after). Skipping breakfast is very hard for me. I'd much rather skip dinner than breakfast.

I don't really have time to make a big breakfast though. I usually eat my biggest meal at noon.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 10:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Nancy - One of the reasons this has worked for me is that I don't have to rush off anywhere in the morning. Like Dr Fung suggests, we each have to adjust our schedule to something that works for us. I just wrote in my journal how yesterday I ended up only eating one meal. I guess you could call it brunch because of the timing. It was larger than my usual breafast and held me well. I'm trying it again today to see how it goes. I definitely like having my food earlier in the day and skipping dinner. I've been doing only 2 meals a day for a while. Whether or not I'll switch to one meal a day is yet to be decided but I doubt I will ever go back to 3 meals a day.

Jean
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-16, 10:37

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary in OK
However, I will now just count total carbs as recommended by Dr Fung.

I've read all of his blog posts, listened to many of his lectures and read The Obesity Code and don't recall him ever giving a counted carb recommendation much less total carbs.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 194/160/130 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
I've read all of his blog posts, listened to many of his lectures and read The Obesity Code and don't recall him ever giving a counted carb recommendation much less total carbs.

I also own "The Obesity Code" and have watched many of his videos. I do believe you are right... I do not know why I thought that it was he that suggested counting only total, rather than net, carbs.

In any event, it is working for me. I am now seeing FBS of below 90 pretty much every day. I just got taken off my blood pressure medication - after years on it. I am feeling great and - Bonus - still losing weight.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-16, 14:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Good to hear it's working for you.

I guess net vs. total carbs is less of an issue with Dr. Fung, since he doesn't allow artificial sweeteners, that sort of gets rid of the grey area of sugar alcohols.